1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Politics Is "liberal" a dirty word?

Discussion in 'Tilted Philosophy, Politics, and Economics' started by rogue49, Jan 15, 2014.

1. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

You know...funny thing is...I don't identify myself as Liberal.
    I've known true Liberal people...and I don't live like them nor think often like them.
    I'm more situational...not ideologue.

And in America, "liberal" is often used as an attack word.

Personally, for certain aspects of my independent nature...I'd say those are more "progressive".
    Where I don't mind leveraging govt to a certain extent for a productive overall result for the nation and its citizens.

But at the same time, I don't like too much govt interference or power.
    And especially govt laws against personal freedom. (who are they to tell us how to live???)

Then again, I'm in favor of the death penalty and guns (within fairly strict limits)

Is "Liberal" different?
    Is it just a counter against conservative values and a balance against the Conservative agenda?

Are people voting for libs just because they're fed up with the previous Con surge and influence??
    Or is it just a blur of independent thinking...not really one side or another?

What do you think?

Link - for graphs and charts

2. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

"Moderate" Democrats are basically what we in Canada call "progressive conservatives."

Liberal is a dirty word, except among those who aren't reactionary ideologues.

Liberalism is what made America what it is; liberalism is what will keep America going.

3. Street Pattern

Street Pattern Very Tilted

I have never been embarrassed to say I'm a liberal.

In a Nancy Drew book I read as a kid, there was a reference to bread spread "liberally" with apple butter.

Hence, I have always associated liberalism with apple butter, and vice-versa.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
    • Like Like x 4
  4. Baraka_Guru

ergo: anti-liberalism is anti-Americanism

5. Street Pattern

Street Pattern Very Tilted

Liberalism is as American as apple butter.

6. Baraka_Guru

7. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

I don't know if I'd agree they are becoming more "liberal"...I'd more likely say they're fed up with some of the excesses and extremes of conservatives and corporations.
    Or you could say they're backtracking a bit from the over-reach trends that neo-cons and tea-partiers raged for.

If anything, their attitudes are becoming more "libertarian" where they'd like the government to get out of the social engineering market.
    Ex. Most disagreed with the new-progressive action of NYC mayor bloomberg, banning over-sized soda.
    Basically, "stay out of our lives" or "sure, keep the water clean and food bug-free...but don't tell me to stop eating junk"

They still believe in capitalism and the "American Way" and "Dream"
    But they'd like government to rein in the abuses and punish those businesses that commit harm to the public.