1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Is Marriage Becoming Government Sponsored Dating?

Discussion in 'Tilted Life and Sexuality' started by EventHorizon, Aug 23, 2011.

1. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

I think one of the best things that's happened to marriage is that one can get a divorce much easier and will much less stigma. Back in the 70s I saw too many of my friend's parents stay together, "for the kids". Those were some of the nasty homes to visit. The parents were trying to hide the fact that they weren't together, they were trying to keep a happy face on for everyone else. But their misery was plain to see.

After 10 years of marriage, my Mom left my Dad. This was 1968. She was ostracized by her parents and treated as an "unfit mother" by lawyers who tried to take me away from her. I was only 6 months old, so I can only go based on what others have told me, but it sounds pretty shitty.

Why should anyone stay in a loveless marriage?

That said... too many people rush into marriage. They don't think about long term. They don't spend time getting to know their partner. I am a big advocate for living together before marriage and clearly of per-marital sex (I can't believe I have to advocate for this but I have heard too many people state the opposite to take anything for granted). You need to know someone before you are going to commit to the long term. Anything else is living in some sort of happily ever after world that had no bearing on reality.

• Like Like x 1
  2. KirStang

KirStang Something Patriotic.

Typing from my phone here so its short: But marriage for love is really a culturally dependant concept. hence loveless marriages arent per se bad, simply we're conditioned to believe that love should be ever present in a marriage. other reasons for marriage like child bearing or stability are largely discarded in contemporary western society.

3. lionrock

lionrock Getting Tilted

If only dating were involved....

4. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

KirStang brings up a great point about divorce.

Additionally, I would argue that divorce statistics, as they are currently tabulated, are incredibly misleading. Tara Parker-Pope's book For Better: How the Surprising Science of Happy Couples Can Help Your Marriage Succeed outlines some of the reasons as to why. It's worth reading just the first chapter of the book to get a sense of how divorce statistics are compiled. I can't sum it up well, as it has been several months since I've read it, but I do remember that divorce statistics are better understood when broken down and controlled by when the people in question got married--for instance, people married in the 1970s are more likely to get divorced than people married in the 1980s. Part of that is the fallout from no-fault divorce, as KirStang mentioned. I know from my own coursework that the risk of divorce goes down considerably 1) the older the people getting married are, especially if they are over 25, and 2) the better educated they are. The chance of my husband and I getting divorced is ridiculously low because we got married at 28 and both possess Bachelor's degrees. This isn't to say we're overconfident--rather, we've spent a lot of time trying to improve our relationship with each other. Did I mention tomorrow is our one-year anniversary? We did live together for five years before we got married, so we both knew what we were getting into :)
    --- merged: Aug 27, 2011 11:31 PM ---
    Also, to add to something KirStang said: marriage for love is not only a culturally dependent concept, it's also a relatively new concept. We no longer view marriage as a communal institution that furthers familial interests.

5. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

Happy Anniversary Snowy!

6. Mathilda

Mathilda New Member

No fault divorce has certainly had a big effect.
    Even bigger though in my opinion has been more economic freedom of women.
    If you can't support yourself and your kids, you are kind of stuck in a marriage, how ever loveless.

7. Ourcrazymodern?

Ourcrazymodern? still, wondering

Feeling the effects of government sponsorship with the benefits it's said to provide might cost everybody more than society's accepting the fact that its people control it, not vice-versa.