1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Is Skyrim worth upgrading my PC?

Discussion in 'Tilted Entertainment' started by MMB737, Nov 6, 2011.

1. Zen

Zen Very Tilted

That's enough for me, Baraka.
    Also I had a read up of some of the reviews.
    I've just ordered it from Amazon.
    :)

• Like Like x 1
  2. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Sad. Writing fanfiction is fun!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Python

Python Getting Tilted

The enemies in Skyrim scale partly to your level, so the chances of that happening are fairly low. As long as your gear is somewhat up to date, you'll be fine. And you can always reduce the difficulty.

It's nothing like Dark Souls or Witcher 2, thankfully.

• Like Like x 1
  4. highjinx

highjinx "My phobia drowned while i was gettin' down."

5. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

I don't mind shorter games if they have a great impact. The problem with Skyrim is that it can be overwhelming and one can be paralyzed by choice. Mirror's Edge is like playing an awesome interactive story. It's like an animated graphic novel that requires your mad parkour and hand-to-hand-combat skills to carry the story forward.

Skyrim is great for those who love detail and dropping hours and hours into an epic adventure with a non-linear plot.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Overwhelming is a perfect description. I have started the game over three times and have yet to beat it. And with the new DLC I now want to just rush the ending to start over again. But with The Secret World coming out it probably wont happen.

Either way its an awesome game - one of the best rpgs Ive ever played.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Daval

Daval Getting Tilted

The last game that I played and got addicted to was 'Neverwinter nights'. Would this be a similar type game? I just have a fairly basic PC at home - will this run that game allright or do you need something pretty major?

We also have a PS3 and a WII, but I figured PC would be the best gaming experience? What say you folks?

8. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

What's a "fairly basic" PC? That doesn't sound promising for something like Skyrim. You might want to consider it on the PS3. List your specs and maybe some of the others will let you know what's feasible.

Also, the game varies quite a bit from Neverwinter Night (a game I dropped years of gaming into, both online and offline). The biggest difference is that Skyrim is both first-person and action oriented in terms of the gameplay, whereas Neverwinter Nights is third-person (3/4 topdown perspective) real-time turn-based (essentially).

If you aren't used to action-oriented combat, you may have a bit of a learning curve. I know I did. You get used to it if you put in the time and do some trial and error. I found that there is some strategy required in terms of simultaneously considering attack, defence, and movement.

If you haven't yet, check out some Skyrim gameplay videos of combat to get a feel for what you need to do.

Skyrim also tends to have many elements similar to World of Warcraft, Dungeon Siege, and Diablo in terms of levelling, picking abilities, gathering, crafting, etc. Your characterization is an interesting progression of "getting better at the things you do a lot."

There is a lot to do in the game beyond the fighting. If you like big games and exploring things, I'd consider it for that alone.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  9. highjinx

i started over again last night and am going to stick to the main storyline. also, i thought i'd mention another friend of mine recommended that i try to specialize in a couple things instead of spreading what i do around and that would help me later in the game. before i was kind of going "oh, im using archery too much, let me switch to daggers". this time i'm sticking to archery.

10. Daval

Daval Getting Tilted

Intel i3 CPU - 550 @ 3.2 ghz
    6gb ram
    64 bit operating system - win 7 home premium
    780gb free on harddrive
    vid card is nvidia geforce 315

Do you guys think thats sufficient? I don't want to go buy it unless it is.....

Cheers!

11. highjinx

i have a quad core phenom and a 460gtx 756gb gpu... and it runs great on hard, but chugs on ultra. so you could probably at least get by on mid settings, and you'd have access to all the mods that ps3 doesn't get. i'd say go for it.

also if you don't mind supporting gamestop, it's on sale for 40$ right now...

GameStop PC Downloads : The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

12. Hyena

Hyena Vertical

Im lvl 40 and dont even know what the main storyline is. Sidetracked by all my quests.

• Like Like x 1
  13. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

I'm in the process of installing on my new laptop...I know it won't be as pretty as my desktop, but at least I can squeeze in some playtime.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Python

Python Getting Tilted

You can pick up Skyrim on Steam for €33 now until July 22. Or the entire Bethesda collection for €50. The latter is definitely great value for money. I've bought around 20 games on Steam the last week or so, lots of savings to be made.