1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

It's All About Anime

Discussion in 'Tilted Entertainment' started by redravin, Nov 9, 2014.

1. Azharen

Azharen Getting Tilted

OK. Recommending ReLife Season 1. It's a Slice of Life / Romance / High School Anime, but I really enjoyed the twist. It's definitely tropey in some parts, but the interaction with the characters makes up for that. There's an internal secret that gets revealed at I think episode 10, but you should figure it by E5 if you're paying attention. ;-)

2. Azharen

Azharen Getting Tilted

OK. Stumbled upon a crazy anime. It's called: Valkyrie Drive: Mermaid. I don't even know how to properly describe this anime. Closest I can think of is if Soul Eater, Sekirei and Maken Ki had had a baby. Ecchi AF. TONS of softcore yuri. I mean TONS!!! There is a story in there; it's just hard to see past all the 3rd base action. Here is the My Anime List link. Definitely a good Guilty Pleasure watch... Valkyrie Drive: Mermaid

3. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

I enjoy sports anime, but for a weird reason. I got into watching Kuroko no Basuke strictly so I would understand the "ships." Yuri!!! On Ice is one I just love because. Same with Free!

Why is there no drooling emoji?

I also enjoy a lot of shoujo because they're cute. Anything cute is my thing.

I don't really like anything that trends toward horror. Deadman Wonderland and Tokyo Ghoul were both anime I didn't care for.

4. Azharen

Azharen Getting Tilted

Yeah. YOI is a total trap. Sport anime and no GOG like the name implies. Noped right out of it. ;-) DMW and TG are slightly better then OK in my book. Strong 7 - 8. Trying to find something to get into. Think I'll catch up on 7 Deadly Sins and Kame ga Kill.

5. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Boy on boy is better IMO

6. Azharen

Azharen Getting Tilted

We'll have to agree to disagree on the one m'friend. ;-)

• Like Like x 1
  7. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

8. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

Yuri On Ice is amazing. Good sports anime, and also a good romance if you can get past the fact that it's two dudes instead of a dude and a lady (or two ladies for that matter). Which, honestly, c'mon. It's 2018. We're supposed to be past that shit by now.

Also notable because despite the fact that it's a BL anime at no point does Viktor attempt to rape Yuri. So, uh, that's a positive.

That's a fair criticism. Miyazaki has a very distinctive style both in terms of art and in terms of story. It doesn't suit everyone's palette. He's quite candid about the fact that when he makes movies he has a very specific audience in mind, and most of us are not a part of it.

As for the anime I like, I'm pretty much all over the place. I just want to see stuff that's well made and does interesting things. I don't have specific genres or styles that I stick to or anything, just whatever catches my eye for the most part. If I were going to pick out some noteworthy series, I'd probably say Gurren Lagann, Soul Eater, Cowboy Bebop, FLCL, Steins;Gate, Madoka Magica, The Devil Is A Part Timer, Toradora, Space Patrol Luluco and maybe Recovery of an MMO Junkie. But that's not a comprehensive list. I watch a lot of anime.

Speaking of the weird stuff, I think my favourite of this season so far is Darling in the FranXX. Guys, this is a weird one. "Teenage sex robots" weird. "Ass control mechanism" weird. Like, seriously, look at this shit:

[​IMG]

That is a teenage boy piloting a robot using some kind of control yolk mounted on a girl's butt. Super weird. I ignored it for a long time because, honestly, it just didn't look like the kind of thing I'd enjoy. But after reading a bunch about how good it is I decided to try it and I'm glad I did. This is going somewhere. I don't know where but I know it is going to be super dark and I am on board.
    --- Double Post Merged, Mar 20, 2018, Original Post Date: Mar 15, 2018 ---
    New trailer for FLCL 2 &3.

I think I should go watch the original again.

I'm kind of torn on the new season(s). I'm not really convinced the world needed more FLCL; I love the series, but part of what I love about it was that it was six episodes that just did their thing and then it was over. It felt short and punchy, like an exclamation. And that seems right.

But I did really love the original, so I gotta give it a chance. The trailer looks promising, at least.

Friggin' Ride On Shooting Star has been stuck in my head all day.

9. Remixer

Remixer Middle Eastern Doofus

Interesting. My favourites include Gurren Lagann, Soul Eater, Cowboy Bebop, FLCL, Steins Gate, Toradora, Clannad (especially After Story), Silver Spoon, Food Wars!, Hunter x Hunter, Heroic Age, Black Lagoon, One Punch Man, Mob Psycho 100, PychoPass, and Space Dandy.

Had no idea there'd ever be new FLCL seasons, since my anime intake in recent years has gone way down and I don't really keep up on releases. Would fucking love if they pulled it off well.

10. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

Well, that's always the trick with reviving old franchises, right? You want a The Force Awakens, and not a The Phantom Menace.

The trailers look good. That's the only intelligent thing to say so far really. I thought the art in the first part felt too "modern" in that it reflects current aesthetics more than the late nineties-ish style of the original, but if the art style shifts around as much in the new one as it did in the old one then that kind of comment won't have much meaning, ultimately.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jul 23, 2018, Original Post Date: Mar 21, 2018 ---
    Darling in the Franxx ended up being such a disappointment. So much potential, so little payoff. Oh well.

FLCL Progressive ended up being, uh, divisive. I think a lot of folks were hoping for more of the same feeling, but of course that's not possible because FLCL was a product of its time as much as anything else. The confluence of events and influences that created it are gone, never to be repeated. It's all just nostalgia anyway.

I liked it. The first three episodes are slow but it picks up in the back half and hit the vibe I wanted it to in the end. It did and said new things without completely abandoning where it came from. And it had a rocking soundtrack from The Pillows. What more could I ask for? Guess we'll see how alternative goes.

Third season of Attack On Titan started this week. This is the show that started my journey into anime. I've long since caught up on the manga so I know where the story is going but it's still fun.

I gave Hanebado a shot, because of the two sports anime out this season I thought the one about badminton would be less fan-servicey than the one about beach volleyball, but somehow that ended up not being the case. I'll try a couple more episodes I guess. It could still recover. But it's a pretty underwhelming start.

• Like Like x 2
  11. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

Found this one on Crunchy Roll and it is great.
    It's called Skull-face Bookseller Honda-san and if you have ever worked in a bookstore you will be amazed at how accurate it is.
    For everyone else it is still pretty damned good.
    Short episodes so it goes pretty fast.

Skull-face Bookseller Honda-san

12. DAKA

DAKA DOING VERY NICELY, THANK YOU

HUH, I guess I just "don't "get it....

• Like Like x 1
  13. redravin

It's kind of slice of lifey.
    I guess as a bookseller, a fan of manga, and Japanese culture, I over estimated how most people would take it.

14. DAKA

DAKA DOING VERY NICELY, THANK YOU

I never :knew" anything" about Anime, before seeing it mentioned on TFP...I guess I grew up before this...

15. Frankie

Frankie Slightly Tilted

I used to see a series called Golden Boy. It was kinda silly but sexy at the same time. It was pretty much my only experience with Anime.

16. redravin

[​IMG]

If you love anime, go see Alita, Battle Angel.
    If you love action manga, go see Alita Battle Angel.
    If you love cyberpunk, go see Alita Battle Angel.
    This is the first live action movie I have seen that manages to stick the landing on making an anime come to life.
    Is it 'perfect', fuck no.
    Is it the best thing made so far and if we don't go watch it they probably won't make anymore?
    Yeah, I'm betting on it.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Lovely Lovely x 1