1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

It's All About Anime

Discussion in 'Tilted Entertainment' started by redravin, Nov 9, 2014.

1. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, that's just odd. I don't get it either.

2. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

3. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

Good old Television Tropes, should have gone there first.
    This is the line that intrigues me
    I wonder what that is?

• Like Like x 1
  4. snowy

I couldn't find a good explanation with a good source as to why.

5. snowy

I'm about halfway through Love Stage!! Crunchyroll - Love Stage!! Full episodes streaming online for free which I largely picked up due to a recommendation from Kotaku (Love Stage!! is an Anime Full of Comedy, Romance, and Gender Confusion).

It's funny, and the Kotaku review gives a good overview, though I have my doubts that the author of the review watches or reads much BL/yaoi at all, given his reservations about the "pretty rapey" aspects of the show, which is a common trope in BL/yaoi--either due to there being a tsundere involved or there being reticence due to the fact they're both men/not gay, or both.

6. redravin

Just finished the one season of Arpeggio in Blue Steel that is on Netflix. (Warning some spoilers)
    Interesting concept.
    In the future when global warming has pretty much screwed the land surfaces, fleets of self aware ships called The Fog take over the sea.
    They also shoot down all the global communications and destroy the cables on the sea bed so the continents have no way of talking to each other.

Humans find a submarine from The Fog but it is on lock down and only responds when a cadet touches it.
    The submarine creates a female Mental Model and tells him that she was told to find him, that she is now his ship.
    He gathers a group of his buddies from school and they take off to fight The Fog.

It turns out that one of the experiments The Fog has done in order to fight humans is create mental models for all its ships.
    One of my favorite lines in the series is when a character asks why they are all female and she replies that ships are referred to as she in the old records.
    "That's it?" he asks. "That's it." she replies.

The problem is that every ship that has direct dealings with sub and her captain gets corrupted somehow.
    They begin to question their programming and even have emotions.

It's an odd mix of military strategy, the usual anime tropes (one of ships mental models winds up in a stuffed bear and another has a crush on the captain but can't declare her love) and even some political skulduggery.
    Overall not bad.

7. redravin

I've been watching Samurai Champloo.
    By the same people who did Cowboy Bebop it's an interesting mix of the Japanese Edo-era and hip-hop.
    Major historic people wander through the story of two swordsman who are helping a former waitress (whose place of work they helped destroy and lives she saved) find 'the samurai who smells like sunflowers'.
    The anime admits right at the beginning that it's not totally accurate and viewers should 'shut up and enjoy the story'.
    There aren't as many of the usual tropes that pop up in anime which is refreshing and the writing is smart, often winking at the viewers.
    The artwork is also first rate with some nicely done set pieces that make fight scenes into something more.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2014
  8. snowy

Yes, it is exceptionally well done.
    --- merged: Dec 26, 2014 at 4:20 PM ---
    I've never been much of a binge-watcher of television, but I watched the remaining 5 episodes I had of Love Stage!! right in a row earlier after linking up my computer with our new Chromecast. It had a seriously cute conclusion. I'm really hoping it'll get a second season, but since it just ran in the autumn, I'm sure it'll be a while before another one comes out.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2015
  9. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

Funimation has a new PS3 app, and actually streams in Canada. This pleases me.

The nice thing about Funimation is that it has a decent catalogue of some of the older stuff, so all the shows I hear good things about like Akira or Cowboy Bebop or FLCL I can go back to.

I watched the first episode of FLCL and I don't know quite what to make of it yet. It was odd. Not bad. Just odd.

• Like Like x 1
  10. snowy

What does it say about me that any time I hear the jingle for Funimation or Aniplex or Viz, I must go investigate what my husband is watching on the television? Total Pavlovian response.

• Like Like x 1
  11. martian

It's very distinctive. I'm not quite at that point yet.

I watched the second episode of FLCL. It's not making more sense yet. We'll see how that goes.

12. martian

I have now finished FLCL. It's only six episodes so that didn't take long.

I'm still confused, but less so. I think I liked it. It's still kind of percolating.

I may need to watch it a second time.

13. snowy

I find myself doing that a lot. Part of it is wanting to catch everything since I'm reading captions, taking in the story, and enjoying the animation; sometimes it's a lot to take in all at once.

14. redravin

Watched the first season of Mezzo.
    It's about the adventures of the Danger Service Agency, made up of a retired detective who loves noodles, a cyborg engineer, and a totally badass young woman who like to shoot first and ask questions later,
    They live in a modified double decker bus on top of a barber shop that is run by the head of gang of assassins called The Black Scissors.
    The show has a some slick touches and has fun with its general craziness.

15. martian

I think it might be admitting some kind of nerd inferiority, but I watch dubbed anime a fair amount of the time. If it's an option and the English voice actors aren't terrible then that's probably going to be my preference.

16. snowy

Yes, yes you are.

Dubs suck.

17. martian

Okay. Why?

I mean, I'll be honest here, I don't really give a shit. I've got nothing to prove. But my limited experience with the anime fandom has led me to believe that it's biggest problem is the fucking arrogant pseudo-hipster bullshit. Like you can't *really* be a fan of anime unless you've watched some bizarre incest romance that was produced in 1987 with the original Japanese soundtrack while cuddling your Haruhi Suzumiya bodypillow. I made the mistake of subscribing to /r/anime and after about two weeks of reading about how anything even slightly popular is utter shit I'd had enough. And then there's threads about how everyone hates anime fans. And, I mean, really guys? You can't figure out how acting like assholes might make people not like you? I feel like anime could be a lot more popular if the communities surrounding it could manage to be even a little bit friendlier than they are.

So yeah, I watch dubbed. I've yet to hear an objective argument for why I shouldn't. The VAs are usually as good as the Japanese cast. Sometimes they're better, as far as my opinion goes. I don't see what there is to gain from listening to a language I can't understand in the first place, and distracting myself by trying to read while I watch.

You can enjoy anime however you want to. But this whole "fucking dub watching casual" attitude really rubs me the wrong way.

I mostly just have a thing about elitism. It pisses me off, regardless of the context.

18. redravin

For me personally I can only go by personal experience.
    There are some fine dubbed anime and I have no problem with them.
    The problem was that for a while in order to sell anime to the American markets they did a lot of really shitty dubs.
    It led to the general attitude that you see in the anime community about dubs.
    I try and keep an open mind.

• Like Like x 1
  19. snowy

This is pretty much it. The quality of voice acting is usually much lower. There are few dubs I can tolerate because the original in Japanese is just so much better.

20. snowy

I just started watching Free! It has two seasons on Crunchyroll. Essentially, it's about these boys who reunite in high school after they swam together as elementary school students. It's pretty fluffy, lots of half-nakedness going on, which, as I understand, is why most people watch it. I usually avoid that thing for obvious reasons, but after seeing so many pictures of the characters' cartoon abs show up on different websites...well. Let's just say they're not built like any boys I know, so it's fiiine (and they're fictional cartoons).