1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

It's All About Anime

Discussion in 'Tilted Entertainment' started by redravin, Nov 9, 2014.

1. POPEYE

POPEYE Very Tilted

My Son told me that " The Ghost in the Shell " is going to be made into a Movie starring C. Johanson

2. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

I don't know how I feel about live-action here. I guess it's doable.

• Like Like x 1
  3. POPEYE

POPEYE Very Tilted

me either, I've been watching Anime for 15 yrs. and do so for the fact it's animated. however I will pay to see it if it ever happens.

• Like Like x 1
  4. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

The one that still scares me is the constant effort to make a live action Akira.
    I think The Ghost in the Shell is doable but for some reason Akira just not.
    I do kind of wish they had found an actress who was Japanese for the part as much as I think Ms. Johanson rocks out action movies.

I am looking forward to this.

[​IMG]

5. snowy

I really just want to go home and watch boys in swimsuits.

By the way, my interest in anime makes me the coolest teacher ever, according to a select group of students.

6. redravin

I suspect you would be the coolest teacher ever anyway, the anime is just an added bonus.

7. snowy

One of my more rednecky boys listed off several interests we hold in common the other day, and declared that if I were a teenage boy, we'd be best friends. Kinda sweet.

• Like Like x 1
  8. redravin

Another night of insomnia so I watched all of Noragami.
    It wasn't hard as there are only 12 episodes.
    Yato is a minor god who spray paints his name and phone number on subways and bathroom walls so he can get work.
    He dreams of making enough money to build a temple one day but since he only charges 5 yen no matter what he does (including cleaning bathrooms, impeccably I might add) he's got a long way to go.
    A high school girl pushes him out of the way of a oncoming bus and finds herself in the unfortunate position of having her soul coming unstuck from her physical body.

There is the the anime trope of humans (in this case dead souls) as being able to turn into weapons for the various gods all of whom look down on Yato.
    Yato's sword is a boy named Yukine who gives him no end of trouble.

There isn't much fan service except maybe Bishamonten who is the god of justice and punishment for evil.
    She has floor length blonde hair and wears an open trench coat with a bikini top.
    But she is also the most badass of all the gods and rides a one eyed lion.

All and all it's nice handled.
    Despite my slightly groggy condition I'd say this was well worth the time.

• Like Like x 1
  9. snowy

Next, read the manga. Seriously. Just do it. Start from the beginning. It's one of my favorites (hence Yato as my avatar).

10. redravin

So seriously what is with the trope of people turning to weapons?
    There's a section in TV tropes for it as Equippable Ally.

Main/Equippable Ally - Television Tropes & Idioms

And I swear I've seen more than they list.
    The idea of a sentient weapon isn't as weird as the idea of turning kids into your guns.

11. snowy

No idea. Sounds shonen/seinen.

12. snowy

Bishamon is awesome, but one of my favorite characters in the series is her shinki, Kazuma. His role is much larger in the manga over the course of the series (read it read it read it), and his relationship with Yato is interesting. There's a couple great OVAs besides the main season; you should definitely check them out.

13. redravin

In the anime the Kazuma says that he owes Yato but then they don't bother to tell you how which was kind of annoying.
    Whelp gonna have to find the manga now.

• Like Like x 1
  14. snowy

Mangahere.co has all the chapters.

15. redravin

Thank you. Checking it out now.

16. snowy

Hope you're enjoying it. It's not my favorite site sometimes, but it works, and there are chapters missing on other sites (searching for them is what took me to Mangahere in the first place).

17. redravin

Finished all they had.
    I even find the page where you got your avatar.
    It makes perfect sense in context.
    The amount of back story that they took out of the anime is rather startling and unfortunate.
    I understand they would have to had at least two seasons to do it right but it missed so much cool stuff.
    His childhood and why he used the Nora in the first place was worth a couple of episodes if nothing else.

And talk about Mommy issues, for some of the gods that's a major problem.

Very glad you had me read the manga.

18. snowy

Yay! You're all caught up for another few weeks--50 just came out this week. I'll let you know when 51 is out. It's a monthly, but it's been licensed, so the scanlation the last few issues has been hit or miss. I don't feel guilty for reading it online as I'm going to keep buying the volumes in English (only have the first so far).

19. snowy

We've been watching Psycho-Pass. I kind of tune in and out. It's not really for me, but I find the dystopian concept interesting. I really dislike the character design for Inspector Tsunemori. I understand that she is supposed to function as the bridge between the viewer and what is going on as the audience surrogate, and that we're supposed to relate to her conflicts and growth, but her cute appearance really doesn't do it for me. I get that she's supposed to contrast against our usual expectations and contrast against those around her, but I find it pretentious and grating at times. I feel like they're trying too hard.

20. redravin

That aspect of her does diminish as the show goes on.
    There's a point when she becomes a cop like the rest of them.
    Also the back story episodes for the other characters (especially the punk musician) are kind of interesting.