1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

It's All About Anime

Discussion in 'Tilted Entertainment' started by redravin, Nov 9, 2014.

1. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

I liked that episode.

2. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

Watched the "The Devil is a Part Timer"
    The idea of the head of the demon army coming across to modern Japan sans most of his powers with only one of his lieutenants and having to get a job at a fast food restaurant to support them is actually pretty funny.
    That they are mistaken by the police for cosplayers in the first episode is even better.
    The hero who is supposed to kill him has followed him through the rift and is now working as a telephone operator to survive.

It's funny and goes light on the fan service.
    I do get the feeling there is a bunch of back story that is probably explained in the manga that you're only getting a nibble of in the anime.

3. snowy

Sounds interesting.

4. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

I enjoyed The Devil Is A Part Timer more than I thought I would. But the lack of an ending was a bit disappointing.

I'm watching A Certain Magical Index now. It's got a neat concept to it. There's a companion show/sequel/spin-off thing that I haven't started yet. It should keep me busy for a while.

5. snowy

Started watching Junjou Romantica today as I haven't watched it yet, and there is a new season coming out this year; I finally finished the manga the other day (it's 75 monthly-length chapters). So far, it follows the manga closely, which means it's pretty adorable (stuffed bears everywhere), and the seiyuu that voices Usami Akahiko...perfect.

Tried watching Deadman Wonderland, but it's just not for me or my mood right now. Fluffy romance? Yes, please.

6. redravin

I can see where if you are in the mood for fluffy romance Deadman Wonderland wouldn't work for you.

I've been watching The Unlimited which is I found on Crunchy roll totally by accident.
    It's a spin off from another series that I haven't seen called Zettai Karen Children but from what I gather it's stand completely on its own.
    It deals with a world where people with ESP are a standard part of the population but are treated pretty much like you would expect them to be.
    The military uses them like weapons, the police treat them like criminals except the ones they need to catch the criminals, the general populace hates them, and a small group fights for independence.

The terrorist group is called P.A.N.D.R.A. and they have all the cool toys.
    The show does a great job of dealing with rather complex issues and I was surprised they avoided many of the standard tropes, in some cases even turning them on their heads.
    For example, minor spoiler, the leader looks like a teenage boy even to the point of wearing what looks like a school uniform which is standard fare for these kinds of shows when actually he was born before WW II.

7. snowy

The gakuran, which is a common school uniform for the middle grades, is based on Prussian military uniforms dating from the late 19th century, and is a result of Meiji Era reforms that remade the Japanese education system into a Western model (or rather, their vision of what the West was).

Also, while I like the story of Sekai-ichi Hatsukoi better than that of Junjou Romantica, so far the anime of Junjou is turning out to be far sexier. There are parts of Sekai-ichi Hatsukoi where I KNOW the characters have sex or there's a handjob or someone blows someone else, but it is barely hinted at on screen. Junjou doesn't beat around the bush (hah) nearly as much.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
  8. snowy

After binge-watching several episodes of Junjou Romantica, I'm amazed I haven't sprung a nosebleed.

• Like Like x 1
  9. redravin

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2015
  10. snowy

The third couple in Junjou Romantica finally got fully introduced. As I'm listening to this one character speak, I begin to think his voice sounds really familiar to me. Like, eerily familiar. And I consider it for a moment. He sounds like Hatake Kakashi from Naruto. Sure enough, it's the same seiyuu, and it's official: I have watched far too much Naruto.

One of my students today asked what kind of anime I was into after we agreed that we'd both liked Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood. Naruto, of course, came up. I admitted that I probably knew more about Naruto than anyone in the school. It's not really something to brag about amongst adults, but my kiddos think it's cool.

• Like Like x 1
  11. redravin

I finally got to see the anime version of Metropolis.
    It's based on the manga which is of course based on the 1927 movie.
    I gather that it strays from the manga a lot in order to get closer to the movie.

The team that put it together is amazing, it's like a supergroup for a band.
    The director Rintaro who did Astro Boy, Madhouse did the animation, and it was written by Katsuhiro Omoho who did Akira.
    It is absolutely beautiful.

Some of the characters aren't fully fleshed out, so that hurts it a bit.
    The themes of what is human, the levels of power, and mans inhumanity to man, have been around forever but are nicely handled.

I do recommend you see this.

12. snowy

I'll have to--Metropolis is a fantastic movie.

13. redravin

I have to say that the music and opening credits for Cowboy Bebop have to be the best of all the manga I've seen so far.

14. redravin

Just got done watching RWBY.
    Pretty cool american anime with a nice twist on the fantasy school training kids to fight monsters trope.
    There is some very nice art work (thought for reason feet are an issue and the characters are fun.
    I like the way they don't over explain things and let you enjoy things as they come along.
    The professor (that's Doctor to you) who expands his coffee thermos into a combo boa staff grenade launcher is a great example.
    Even when they stop to do the social interaction part it not overplayed and is rather touching.
    There are only two 2.5 hour episodes now but three comes out soon because it really leaves you hanging.

15. snowy

I really don't like the previews I've seen. The animation is a complete turnoff for me.

16. redravin

It is a completely different style and can be very beautiful at times (though for some reason they seem to have trouble with feet).

17. snowy

My husband is watching the Bleach movie that apparently just came out (God only knows what Bleach movie it actually is). I saw about two minutes while scooping up some ice cream, and I commented that I thought I'd seen it before--because it's just like every other episode of Bleach I've ever seen.

18. martian

RWBY's animation takes some getting used to. I was able to adjust, Magpie wasn't. She said it looked like a college student's art project.

We finished Steins;Gate recently. It's kind of a neat take on time travel as imagined by conspiracy theorists, I guess? It's actually much better than that makes it sound, but I also don't want to talk about it too much for fear of giving anything away. But you definitely should watch it.

I have discovered that the visual novel it's based on is available in English for $30. I'm not going to lie, I'm a bit tempted.

I also watched the first episode of Avatar: The Last Airbender on Netflix. I don't know if that actually counts as anime since it isn't Japanese, but stylistically there are enough similarities that I think it fits here. Obviously one episode isn't much to go on but I haven't had time to pick up more yet. I do plan on doing so; I've heard nothing but good things.

19. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

20. martian

I don't know if it happens a lot, but I know there's a live action Attack on Titan coming. I think Death Note got done that way too.

I'm not a fan of Dragon Ball Z so I don't particularly care about this one.