1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

It's All About Anime

Discussion in 'Tilted Entertainment' started by redravin, Nov 9, 2014.

1. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

2. Ive only ever watched one series... Serial Experiments Lain. I found it interesting but the portrayal of female child characters was a bit uncomfortable for me.

3. snowy

One thing to bear in mind when watching any anime is that the Japanese really value the aesthetic of cuteness (see: kawaii), and youth is associated with cuteness, so therefore, children are often depicted in situations other cultures would find disturbing or disgusting. See also: Moe (slang) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia There are two genres that actively depict younger characters in situations that would largely make Western audiences uncomfortable: Shotacon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Lolicon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There are tons of BL manga where characters are depicted with very youthful features, but then it turns out they're over 18 (hell, one of my favorite characters was known for picking up guys by pretending to be a high schooler, even though he's 30).

4. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

In The Unlimited they have a couple of characters one who looks like a high school boy and the other a lolly who turn out to be involved in WW II.
    I have noticed that when they use the young characters in action anime they either partner them with someone who is ridiculously over powered like Kinpachi Zaraki from Bleach and his lieutenant Yachira Kusajishi or the kids themselves are seriously overpowered

• Like Like x 1
  5. snowy

<3 Kenpachi.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  6. Azharen

Azharen Getting Tilted

I'm currently waiting for second and 3rd seasons of animes that I'm watching. Mostly Highschool DxD. But there are a lot of Anime I NEED to watch. With be being active in a streaming community, it's really cut into my Anime watching.

• Like Like x 1
  7. snowy

Too funny. This piece roughly describes 90% of the conversations I see about anime elsewhere on the Internet. Anime Maru&#8217;s Guide to Discussing Anime &#124; Anime Maru

• Like Like x 1
  8. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

Every true anime nerd knows that Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann was really just a ripoff of Evangelion anyway.

My experience with otaku culture has lead me to conclude that by and large the worst part of anime is the fans. It seems like a very toxic community. I will not be going to any conventions.

In other news I am finally finally getting around to Cowboy Bebop. I did actually try this anime as a teenager many years ago and ended up not following it for some reason that I can no longer recall. I'm going to just go ahead and assume it's because I was young and stupid. I am thoroughly enjoying it now.

• Like Like x 1
  9. snowy

I'll stick with hanging out with the fujoshi and fundanshi, where I can squeal over animated and cartoon boys to my heart's content.

• Like Like x 1
  10. snowy

11. martian

Funimation finally updated their Playstation app. It now has queueing and proper resume features, as well as a few other neat extras. So basically all the stuff that Crunchyroll had for ages and that a proper video app should have. It also seems much less prone to crashing now, which is a plus.

Now if only they could fix their shitty Android app.

I wouldn't bother with Funimation at all if they didn't have all the shows I want to watch.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015

12. I understand that argument, but it makes me feel uncomfortable personally.

You can argue that the taboo against the sexualisation of children is quite modern and perhaps only western... but I am modern and western.

Without spoiling the show in question for anyone, you could make the same argument about Lain - she is not exactly the schoolgirl she appears to be. But still she looks like one. I wouldnt necessarily condemn people who do watch anime over it, but for me I think its why I dont enjoy it that much.

13. snowy

The more anime I watch, the more I'm convinced sports manga and anime only exist to showcase BL undertones and make people write doujinshi.

14. redravin

I tried watching sports anime and it was like watching sports so I stopped.

15. snowy

The fact that I only watch any of them for the hot dudes should be telling.

16. snowy

Case in point, dudes from Kuroko no Basuke:

[​IMG]

My personal favorite, Free!

[​IMG]

Wherein the guys consistently appear like this...

[​IMG]

Recently, this one has been popular, Haikyuu:
    [​IMG]

Ostensibly, it's a sports shounen. However, it appears to drive fujoshi crazy with its possibilities. I learned about it because of the spate of doujinshi that have been released.

/goes off to rewatch Free!

17. martian

I have yet to see an animated woman who does anything for me. Or at least since I left my adolescence behind. There may have been a small crush on Jasmine when I was a boy, but then again what boy my age didn't go through that?

A fair few anime series seem to try to sell themselves on sex appeal but the problem is that the women's proportions are invariably so inflated that they've completely abandoned any relationship with reality. Consider Fairy Tail, where nearly all of the women look like this:

[​IMG]

...and that one's considered pretty mild as far as fanservice goes.

It just doesn't do it for me.

18. redravin

I don't know Black Lagoon has some really good ones.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
  19. snowy

Yeah, well, I've been crushing on cartoon men since I was introduced to Gambit at age 10.

20. redravin