1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

It's the Economy, stupid - Languishing & Lingering after the Great Recession

Discussion in 'Tilted Philosophy, Politics, and Economics' started by rogue49, Aug 10, 2012.

1. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

• Like Like x 1
  2. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

I always watch Warren Buffett. I even own a small part of him through Berkshire B. The stockholders' meeting in Omaha is a hoot.
    When Berkshire had to divest UP due to the purchase of Burlington Northern, I bought UP. Buffett didn't sell UP for any reasons other than regulatory. Over a couple of months, I bought two thousand shares at roughly $32/share.

Cheaper oil means more is pumped and used. And transported, in the USA and Canada, by the railroads. Pipelines too, but pipelines are too political. And lower prices mean that those transport costs for oil and all other things are reduced. More profits made by all transport vendors. I didn't buy Amazon, eBay, or any of those guys when I probably should have, but all that "stuff" needs to be delivered, and I do own FedEx and UPS both. Would love to have DeutschePost/DHL, but I am already too heavily into transportation.

• Like Like x 1
  3. rogue49

Yep @Lindy ...and the Big Oil saga continues...
    These are all from Bloomberg, which is fairly non-biased and keeps a quick reporting of the pulse of the international economy...better than most, IMHO

But I'm happy for the little guy, for better gas prices...and other businesses, which can leverage that too for better margins and hopefully reflect the savings in retail costs.
    However, I'm also hoping that this allows the "safe" removal of Ethanol from normal gas...which will allow Corn, etc. commodities to normalize, come down and reduce food costs (Milk, Meats, Sugars...any corn based food or feed)

Looks like the US, China & Europe will come out of this the big winners...
    And our current "not so nice guys" will come out poorer...Russia, Iran, Venezuela.
    Question is this...will it help stabilize the world economy and get the boat rockers in line? (or will it destabilize things...and make them react like a rat in a corner??)
    I'm hoping the former...
    But in any way, shape or form...I'm glad Big Oil is getting hit...they've been gaming the glutted system for way too long.

I just hope it's not a case of "Better watch out, you may get what you wished for" :confused:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Canada will likely belong on the poorer list.

5. rogue49

I don't think so...I think you all will still gain like the US, from the fracking methods and other oil resources.
    You'll likely become a bigger resource player for Europe and such.
    Canada is gaining momentum from what I've been seeing.

-----------------

@Baraka_Guru , I think Canada will be riding the same wave as the US, including in manufacturing and customer service, etc.

Manufacturing in U.S. Grew More Than Projected in November

The global market is starting to realize the difference and capabilities of North American firms.
    lean, mean but skilled and efficient...and a bit less corrupt in comparison to the lowest common denominator firms in Asia and such , IMHO

Canada does it the same, just nicer. ;)

Last edited: Dec 1, 2014
  6. Baraka_Guru

Canada is by and large a resources and services economy.

As for oil, I think they're waiting for when it's time to push the panic button on the oil sands. The methods for extracting oil from the sands is much higher than that found elsewhere, like the Middle East and Russia. Below a certain price of oil, and investment and production could dry up.

Overall, the loonie will take a hit, making it difficult for exporters (both in manufacturing and services). The only benefit is short-term to consumers, really. But when the long-term effects take hold, we'll need to make some painful adjustments.

I'm not so certain a low price of oil is a long-term situation. If the global economy continues to grow, it's only a matter of time before it hits high levels again.

7. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

I, along with many other people, are trying to figure out what game these oil cartels are playing. There is some big time economic war type of stuff going on. I'm not sure if OPEC wants to take out the frackers and tar sands, or if the US government and other nations are pushing OPEC to punish Russia and Iran.

The problem I have with "low" gas prices is the people who should be the losers will win. People who are selfish and don't care about any environmental damage will come out ahead, and it will make new technology that currently costs a little more (because the scale isn't there) a harder sell.

This would be the time to increase taxes on oil to pay for all the infrastructure repairs that are needed and train a long term workforce.

• Like Like x 1
  8. omega

omega Very Tilted

On a more local wage level, my department went 8 years without a wage increase. Nothing, no cost of living adjustment. I was speaking to a deputy yesterday who said they still have not had a raise in ten years. They have gone from around 500 deputies to around 350 in the past two years. Those are experienced officers. A replacement will spend about six months in an academy, plus 3-4 months riding with another officer and learning on the job. Good to get rid of those pesky government employees. I kid, what a waste.

• Like Like x 2
  9. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

Are we supposed to have unlimited inflation? Where incomes of workers continue to go up year after year? Where companies try and increase prices a little bit to make more money, until the only companies that are left are those that provide products and services that are needed and have no easy alternatives. And the people who don't work, or are too old to work are screwed because they can never get enough money to live on and their savings will get blown through much faster. Let alone what it does to the young and people who are broke and just starting out and can't afford anything.

It isn't just government employees, it is the whole system and it isn't sustainable. Not when you have the number of poor people and those without large stock holdings that shield them from some of the living expenses and dollar value issues.

• Like Like x 1
  10. rogue49

Well, at least at the start...I believe the US was just trying to get more oil with the new fracking method...then it took off.
    So they gained the momentum, just by stumbling into it...but now, the US may be figuring out how to leverage it more.

Like I said, it's been glutted and overpriced by speculators for years anyway...the bubble was bound to burst, the fracking method just pushed it faster.
    And unfortunately, for Russia and Venezuela...they assumed that it would just keep going at a high price. (I wouldn't be surprised either if the first trader to get it over $100 had connections with them...or it could have been just ego)

China is simply just taking advantage of the "fire sale"...they've always been oil hungry. (just not as "good" of relationship or contracts as Europe had)

Saudi Arabia may the biggest manipulator here...they have decided to throw many of the other OPEC nations under the bus,
    since they can survive "low waters" better than others...they're likely hoping that it hurts, if not kills off, competitor nations...and if they're a part of OPEC...so be it.

IMHO, it's really not a government thing...it's a "management" thing...the mindset has become, minimize the employee costs...so management always uses as the excuse, "the economy"
    Except that the economy is actually doing good...but that's their rationale. The Great Recession really has some cascading affects.
    I'd say it will be another 5 years before it kicks in to the employees' advantage...and the employers' disadvantage. (but it's already started...and gaining momentum)
    It's just that government unfortunately takes slower to catch up. (they do things in extremes anyway...and the pendulum is slow...feast or famine...it never is balanced)

It will go the other way...it's just that you're going to have to wait awhile if you're in the same role.

11. rogue49

The future's so bright...I gotta wear shades :cool:

Job and wage surge...best since 2012
    The Running of the Bears: Jobs Surge Sways Even Eco-Pessimists

About fuckin' time...now the question is how much is this going to translate into people power...
    and how long is it going to last?

But I think the US management may be irrationally surprised that people actually buy more when the have money, don't feel burdened, feel stable...and are happy.
    Who would have thought??? :rolleyes:
    U.S. Stocks Climb as Payrolls Report Boosts Optimism in Economy

12. Baraka_Guru

Obama is the best president since Clinton. :rolleyes:

/Obamanomics?
    /Obamonomics?
    /Barackonomics?

13. rogue49

The Story of "O" ;)

14. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

I just hope he's not the best president before Clinton.:eek:

• Like Like x 1
  15. Baraka_Guru

Since Reagan? If we're being honest?

16. omega

omega Very Tilted

We're not going to stop inflation by screwing a couple thousand government employees for eight or ten years. The u.s. has had an averaged inflation rate of 3.1% for the past 100 years or so. I am pretty sure that we have done ok, overall. Inflation is a fact of life. Not paying a few people to stop it is like flicking boogers at a battleship. The companies continue to increase prices, and they have benefited quite nicely, according to their bottom lines.
    I'm sure your arguments against any sort of inflation were the same fifty years ago. And history has shown that they aren't valid against reasonable inflation. The type that comes with consistent growth. I say reasonable to head off the inevitable arguments of post world war one Germans who couldn't buy a loaf of bread with a wheelbarrow of marks.

• Like Like x 1
  17. rogue49

The momentum is starting to go our way...including wages and more job opportunities. :cool:

Retail Sales Rise as U.S. Job Gains, Drop in Fuel Pay Dividends

Let's hope it gets to the point that the people start having the leverage and power instead of the corporation. (at least swing that way for awhile...)
    Food prices going down
    Utility prices going down
    Cheaper products
    Better wages
    Better benefits

I think the public needs a bit going their way.
    I'm pro-biz...but it's been too much on the corp side for some time
    Let's see the mgmt sweat and bend over backwards a bit. (not suffer like we did...but cater to our needs some...that would be nice for a change)

A little balance in the world.

** Oh yeah, does Obama get credit for this??? Or is it only when things go bad? :rolleyes:
    I know, I know...he doesn't really control the market. (but people act like he does...)

18. rogue49

19. rogue49

BTW...and FYI...there's an interesting series by the Washington Post about the lingering affects of the Great Recession.
    You may find it interesting.
    Here are the first two articles...
    Now, my question is this...I know what's going on in the US...but can anyone tell me what it's like in other countries??
    The US is currently doing better economically than much of the rest of the world,
    but it hasn't translated to the public as well...and its system doesn't have the same "safety net" as other countries. (good or bad, worse or better)

Any input from non-Americans??
    Is your grass greener?
    What's up with your area and lives?

• Like Like x 1
  20. rogue49