1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

I've been distant...soooo

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by RestlessinPA, Sep 6, 2011.

1. RestlessinPA

RestlessinPA Vertical

Let's talk about embarrassing moments! I had one today at work! I was selling sandwhiches and had to keep track of how many I sold. They weren't selling very quickly. We started out with 40 and I think I sold about 25. then when I went to do the math...I told my boss i had like 21 left. then I sold a few more and for some reason said I had 25? then the one manager came over and counted them in the pot and said I had 11. I AM SOO TERRIBLE AT MATH.
    A problem like that, that may seem SO easy to you guys is so difficult to me. I can't do ANY math in my head unless its something easy like 10 plus 7 or 18 plus 20. But even for that my brain freezes a little bit. It really makes you wonder why you're brain does that with certain things. i feel stupid even explaining it. cause i know some people think "thats so easy oh my god." but to me, it REALLY isnt. xD

2. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

I feel your pain. I love doing linear equations and complicated geometry proofs, but I can't do basic arithmetic in my head. I was always the one that needed TONS of scrap paper for tests, because I had to write absolutely everything down. And I can't blame it on growing up with a calculator, either-- I was never allowed to use one 'til high school.

Okay, my own embarrassing moment. I'm a very awkward person, so believe me, there are TONS. The one I thought of right off happened my senior year of high school. It was Homecoming week, and we had all kinds of stuff going on, including a pep assembly every day. One of the Spirit Days was Costume Day, and I dressed up as a witch-- black dress, striped socks, cape, hat. Well, at the assembly that day, there was a contest between classes where you had to spin around with your forehead touching a baseball bat, and the other end of the bat on the floor. After spinning a certain number of times, you then had to ride a scooter-type thing...like a mechanic's creeper... on your butt, to the end of the gym and back.

I was actually doing a good job not falling off the creeper, but my dress kept riding up. I was wearing bright blue underwear that day, and at one point, the dress was practically around my waist. So I flashed my panties to the entire school.

It doesn't seem so bad NOW, but at the time, I was 17, very sheltered, and very self-conscious about my body. I was so mortified, and I remember crying in the band room later.

• Like Like x 1
  3. RestlessinPA

RestlessinPA Vertical

i don'
    I don't mean to like your post to make you think I'm laughing at you. It's just that that is a pretty embarrassing moment. I would've cried too! Haha. And the kids at my school were ruthless.
    I'm not an awkward person but I am clumsy. The most embarrasing thing to happen to me AT SCHOOL was when I was on krutches. we had TONS of spanish kids in our school. Now i respect spanish people, but its the ones who are always pushing each other around in the halls and always being loud that annoy me. Anyway, I was on krutches and my friend was helping me to lunch. And a spanish kid pushed another spanish kid and THAT spanish kid went flying into me. I toppled over and the spanish kids ran away. Not even apologizing. They had to get me a wheel chair to go to the nurse and they called restricted movement so the hallways were clear for me to go through. xD
    by the end of the day, everyone knew why there was a restricted movement and WHO set it off.

but yeah you're moment. probably alot worse. I am so sorry. ha :p

4. streak_56

streak_56 I'm doing something, going somewhere...

I think I take the crown for awkward moments.... but I don't get embarrassed easily....

When I lived in Ohio, I worked maintenance for the dorm rooms at OSU.... one of my coworkers (40+ years old, painter at the time), got caught having sex with one of the housekeepers... he was married, had kids.... he didn't want a big deal made out of it... upon his last day.... we were talking about what happened.... he was bitching about how his wife was now leaving him.... my response.... was "you win some, you lose some," I was embarrassed because it didn't come out the way I wanted.... but it came out exactly the way I wanted, the guy wasn't uhh.... the brightest or most respectable people I met, I rather disliked him..... I just didn't want to make it that abundantly clear....

5. Zen

Zen Very Tilted

Hi Restless - Zen + math + dyslexia = shirubb

CinnamonGirl - sympathy regarding the underwear. I had a sleepy-morning flap-open robe experience which exorcised two Jehova's Witnesses but still leaves me cringing. Congratulations, however, on not getting taken out by the dizziness.

I was not so fortunate. My ballroom dancing partner and I had fought our way into the upper league of British competition with the 'four-dance': Waltz, Quickstep, Foxtrot & Tango. Viennese waltz is not done competitively in the early stages, so this would be a new challenge for us. Viennese waltz is all about 'form' while rotating, navigation round the floor, and beauty of 'change of direction'.

Forehead on baseball bat 'works' due to no change of direction.
    This was our first competition in the senior league, therefore our first competitive experience of Viennese waltz. I 'froze' - my mind locked. I had forgotten, entirely forgotten, how to do the change-direction. You can guess the rest.

I shall, however, continue, that one day I might get absolution, through full confession, of my shame.

A fit contender, you are up against England's finest and being judged by Legends. Watching you are about 140 fellow competitors, including the Latin section, and another 200 or so spectators. SO you don't give up - you don't simply stop and walk off the floor. Heck no. THAT would be SO embarrassing! Let's just keep it steady and elegant, we'll lose marks for lack of flexibility, but we are the new blood in this league, and we will send them a message. Booyah.

This strategy worked well, up to a point. We were looking good, but then came the end of the event when the competition organizer announced "Thank you, Dancers, you may stop now." And competitors process off the dance floor and into the waiting crowd.
    The dance floor is empty.
    Except for my partner and me.
    Neither of us can find our way off, or even from, the floor.

The competition organizer, a great guy, good friend and sarky bastard is as soft-spoken as an English Cricket Commentator, and the mic volume is high so the walls vibrate to "Next event is Amateur Foxtrot. Amateurs please be ready for your event ... which will take place as soon as couple 42 have vacated the dance floor ... Zen and H seem to be having a little trouble ... er ... it is one of the dangers of this specific dance .... rare but lethal ... wasn't it as long ago as 1986 that Sligo Penhalligon and Tracey Fitzmerrion failed to leave the dancefloor for two consecutive minutes? ... Can couple 42 beat their record? ... hopefully we'll never know .... please can someone help them off?"