1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Jack Layton, Dead At 61

Discussion in 'Tilted Philosophy, Politics, and Economics' started by martian, Aug 22, 2011.

1. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2011/08/22/layton-obituary.html

Whatever your opinion of the NDP, this is a blow for Canadian politics. I'll admit to being taken off guard -- we all knew he was sick, but I just kind of assumed he'd pull through. Silly, I know.

Politically, my concern is that wit Layton gone, the NDP won't be able to provide a credible alternative to Harper come 2015. I suppose that's still four years away though, so we'll see how it goes. It's hard to imagine who they'd get that has Layton's charisma or strength of character.

2. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Many of us had the same hope. Reading today's news was like receiving a solid blow to the gut. It seems that one day he was "cancer-free" and winning historical gains for his party; the next, he's gone. It all seemed to happen so fast, and now he represents one of the hugest losses of leadership this country has faced.

This is on everyone's mind, I'm sure. Layton represented far more than the left-of-centre or the social democratic voices of Canada; he represented what a politician should be like. His integrity, his work ethic, his relative respect for his opponents. His legacy, I hope, will be that he will stand as a role model for federal politics.

As for the NDP, I'm not all that concerned about the future so long as the party maintains the same course and upholds the same kind of integrity Layton has infused in it. They've come too far now to let things slide into oblivion.

It's too soon to say. I think the country is still reeling. I know I am.

Jack Layton in action:

Defending Canadian healthcare to an American audience:

Below is the letter Jack Layton's family released. He wrote it to all Canadians in the event of his death.

3. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

I read the news of this on Twitter last night and, like many, it was a blow to the gut. I've met Jack a couple of time and had the pleasure to vote for him both as a city councillor and a federal MP. His drive, enthusiasm and vision were always impressive to me. Even though I haven't been able to vote for him for the past few year, I have followed Canadian politics closely.

It is such a loss to all Canadians that we will not see what he could do as leader of the opposition (not to mention PM).

Given my wife's recent battle with cancer, the news that it was a new form of cancer that struck him down just after having conquered his prostate cancer has hit our house fairly hard.

I think Baraka_Guru has put it very well here:
    It is truly a sad day for Canada. We have lost a politician with great vision and a great champion.

4. streak_56

streak_56 I'm doing something, going somewhere...

He was the only credible politician in Canada, he was just a guy everyone could trust, it just came down to political ideology.... a state funeral was definitely needed for him.... I stopped work as soon as I heard... its just shocking because he was such a strong fighter, and a class act the whole way, just read the goodbye letter and no one could have anything negative to say about him...

I think the Liberal and NDP are now in the same boat, strong leadership problem... I would rather have the NDP because of Jack Layton succeed rather than the Liberals but thats my opinion.

5. Charlatan

Give it time. Oh! Wait... It looks like columnist Christie Blatchford has taken a few kicks at Layton. What a sour woman...

6. streak_56

Charlatan.... almost blasphemous.... and only because in our country, we're allowed free speech....

7. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Christie Blatchford is an idiot.

She should feel right at home at her new position at the National Post.

8. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Very Tilted

Wow, didn't even know he was sick. So sad.

9. Charlatan

A tribute from the folks at This Hour Has 22 Minutes.

10. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Very Tilted

Seems like a real decent guy. What I know of him is mainly based on what I've seen on Rick Mercer, This Hour has 22 Minutes and Air Farce Live.

I was thinking about this last night. It's kind of odd how little most US citizens know about Canada. I'm not talking about lack of simply political knowledge but overall knowledge. I had to go look at a map to see the number and names of all the provinces and territories. I could have swore I learned in school there were 9 provinces... there's 10.

11. Charlatan

...plus three territories (used to be two but we split one up to make a new one).

12. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Very Tilted

We don't count our own territories that often but last time I did I think there were six.

13. Charlatan

We count our territories because they are attached to us and are, for all intents and purposes, just thinly populated provinces. The US territories are all islands and calling them territories has always struck me as just a way to keep from calling them Colonies.

14. streak_56

Oh man.... I loved that this Hour has 22 minutes tribute... some good ones there....