1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Judgment Day - March 25, 2016 A.D. - Unsealing Daniel 12: 11 & 12

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Edward Palamar, Mar 27, 2015.

1. Today, Friday, March 27, 2015 A.D., is the 927th day in the 1,290 and 1,335 day periods of Daniel 12:11 & 12, respectively.

2. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Out of curiosity, what makes you think Iron Age predictions of pseudonymous authors are more accurate than, say, the Renaissance predictions of Nostradamus?

3. The prophetic Book of Daniel is not a prediction, as a prediction includes some connotation of possible error.

Prophecy has no such connotation.

Daniel is a prophet of God.

One of the gifts of the Holy Spirit is prophecy.

Nostradamus also wrote prophecy.

Interpretation is also a gift of the Holy Spirit.

Interpretation is necessary to understand prophecy.

4. Baraka_Guru

Sorry. My bad.

My favourite prophets are William Blake and James Joyce.

So I guess the deal with prophecies is that you can assume it hasn't happened yet.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

I always find it entertaining when Christian theology and interpretation, developed in the Roman and Medieval periods of the Common Era by non-Jews, is applied to Jewish scriptures written centuries before the Common Era by Jews (and for Jews), resulting in Christian or Christianized interpretations invariably ascribed directly to God.

Can I at least assume that the OP's certainty in his interpretation means that he has studied Daniel in the original Hebrew and Aramaic? Since every word of most of the books of the Hebrew Scriptures are densely interpretable, with a vast number of potential meanings, and since Hebrew and Aramaic are incredibly difficult languages to render into Germanic and Romance languages under the best of circumstances (one reason why there are virtually no decent translations of the Hebrew Scriptures), it would be awfully hard to give credence to an interpretation that was not carefully made from the original text.....

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
    • Like Like x 4
  6. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

Most importantly, those are dates that I was considering for a vacation.

Are you saying that would be a GOOD time to visit Aruba or some other Caribbean island, or a BAD time to go for a beach vacation?

• Like Like x 3
  7. Baraka_Guru

The same thing happens with Buddhist texts translated into English. Going from the Pāli (with Theravada texts) or the Sanskrit (with Mahayana texts) ultimately requires taking liberties with interpretations, usually in the form of taking important terms and applying broader pre-defined concepts to them in their translation before getting into the broader texts.

The language difference is so great that it requires a good translator (who, quite often, comes in the form of a great teacher).

Also, no one even knows what language Gautama Buddha knew.

Ironically (or coincidentally?) French literary and critical theory (among others) is notorious for inventing and reinventing language to define, describe, and extrapolate itself.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

My 60th birthday is on March 13th. ... PARTY TIME

If judgment day is 12 days later, I may as well have something to answer for.

9. Baraka_Guru

I recently read a story that was kind of like a prophecy. It was about prophets who would say things about the gods until one day a "master prophet" claimed he could see the gods as grey forms along mountainsides during brief moments at dusk. And as he was observing them one day he noticed there were three new gods beyond the "old gods" they worshiped. Two of these new gods—the one of the left and the one on the right—were kind of nasty to the worshippers, but one of them—the middle one—the master prophet deemed the One True God. He spent his life trying to reach this god, and he came, essentially, as far as he could go. Even his fellow followers abandoned him in both fatigue and old age. He was alone to traverse an nearly impassable swampland to find this god. However, in his travels he noticed there were more powerful gods even beyond this one. At the end, it was revealed that these more powerful gods were the very same old gods he thought were inferior to the new gods.

And so a full circle was drawn.

Anyway, maybe we're coming to a similar conclusion.

Just maybe....

10. Katia

Katia Very Tilted

Judgement Day? Just today? Seems like everyday is judgement day, by each other.

How about we declare this day as a non-judgement day?

11. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

That's what y'say...

Just keepin' it real.
    Nada sayin'?

12. Then I can guarantee you a front row seat. The Book of Daniel is unique in having foretold the exact day when Christ was to be slain. But the solution in interpretation of that day could only be solved in hindsight. The decree, "from the going forth of the word", to rebuild the Temple marked the starting point of 69.5 weeks of years. But there were the present day Mormons scattered into what is now the Americas. The "going forth of the word" included them. What can be ascertained from this is the exact day when all of Israel at that time had actually heard that the Temple was going to be rebuilt, but only in hindsight due to the complexities of communication. And the ascertainment of this count is similar, relying on another prophecy to be fulfilled first.

The gift of tongues is also a gift of the Holy Spirit. No need to assume anything.

But I have found that Daniel 11:20 & 21 have been abused by most of the translations I've read. The Wycliffe and Douay-Rheims are correct concerning those two verses.
    --- merged: Mar 27, 2015 at 9:38 PM ---
    There'll be nuclear holocaust that week. Right off hand, I'd say BAD.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2015
  13. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

If there is nuclear holocaust, wouldn't I be best off enjoying the last few days though?

And if that day comes and goes w/o a nuclear holocaust, are we allowed to denounce and ban you as a false prophet? Fair trade?

• Like Like x 1
  14. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

03abcf515f23a36633275cd74fe2356e.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  15. omega

omega Very Tilted

You don't ban false prophets. You stone them to death.

• Like Like x 3
  16. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

Or point and laugh until they slink away in embarrassment.

17. Baraka_Guru

All this stuff is based on vague probabilities, like with horoscopes and psychics.

18. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Hey now, at least with horoscopes there are actual calculations and charts involved.

19. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

I'm partial to prophet Kanye West and Kim Kardashian's sacred panties.

And that shit happened. Kanye interrupted the last supper when Jesus was transmogrifying the bread into his body. He said,"Yo, Jesus, I'm really happy for you, I'ma let you finish, but Kim has one of the best bodies of all time! One of the best bodies of all time!"

• Like Like x 1