1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

just found out I need glasses

Discussion in 'Tilted Life and Sexuality' started by Strange Famous, Aug 6, 2011.

1. Strange Famous

Strange Famous it depends on who is looking...

I had an eye test today and found I have an astigmatism in both eyes. They said I definitely need glasses and to wear them all the time (well not when Im asleep or having a shower or whatever)

I'm only 33, how can my eyes have worn out already??

I guess too much wanking...

2. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

Shit I've been wearing glasses since I was 12! Astigmatism has nothing to do with worn out eyes. It's more about the shape of the lens instead of the wear of the lens.

3. PonyPotato

PonyPotato Very Tilted

I've been wearing glasses since I was 8 or 9.. and got eye surgery a couple years ago, so I finally don't have to anymore!

Also, what cynthetiq said. Astigmatism is about the shape, not your lens becoming inflexible already.

4. ace0spades

ace0spades Slightly Tilted

I've had astigmatism since age 10. I got horrible eye genes from my mom, who is nearly blind without corrective lenses. I would love it if I could afford eye surgery, but for now I make do with my glasses. My partner always laughs at how dirty they are haha.

5. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

I've been wearing glasses full time since I was a teenager, due to a gradually progressive nearsightedness (I can see things up close but not far away).

As others have pointed out, astigmatism isn't due to aging.

The age-related eye condition that affects most people is presbyopia, which is essentially a diminished ability to focus on near objects. This usually kicks in at around age 40 and is the reason why many people eventually need reading glasses if not bifocals (if they're nearsighted to begin with).

Also note that laser eye surgery cannot correct presbyopia, so even if you had the surgery, after 40, you still will likely need reading glasses. CORRECTION: there are now new treatments available that can reduce presbyiopia, including LASIK's PRELEX (Presbyopic Lens Exchange) treatment. They also have a treatment called Monovision, which has a few disadvantages, including decreased depth perception and long-term reading and driving still requiring corrective lenses.

I will likely need to switch to bifocals in five or ten years. Thankfully they have those graduated/progressive lenses now.

6. EventHorizon

EventHorizon assuredly the cause of the angry Economy..

this, i've been wearing mine since 3rd grade (8 or 9 years old?) wearing glasses isnt a bad thing dude. its a good way to break into a new style you might want to get into also

7. Freeload

Freeload Getting Tilted

I've been wearing glasses since I was 9 or 10 (33 now - just like you) because of Myopia (nearsighted). I'm completely useless without my glasses or contacts.
    I got my glasses before I discovered wanking - but it got much worse after I reached puberty ;)

8. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

I've been wearing glasses since University. I majored in Film Studies and one day, I noticed the subtitles became clearer if I squinted. My eyes have been getting progressively worse since then.

Since turning 40, I have notice that I can't wear my glasses, made to help be see things far away, when I am reading or using my computer. I am told this is my eyes aging and that I will likely need bifocals at some point.

9. Baraka_Guru

PRESBYOPIA'D!

10. Charlatan

It kind of sucks...

11. Shagg

Shagg Vertical

I wore glasses for something like 23 years and then I got surgery. I'm actually a tiny bit disappointed that my wife doesn't wear glasses. I worked in optical for 10 years and I saw so many cute chicks wearing glasses that they became a real turn on for me. I was in the boat where I was useless without my glasses. High myopia with moderately high astigmatism. I was right on the outer edge of the surgical envelope.

Glasses are what you make of them though. I ran the gamut of BCG's (birth control glasses) all the way to some really nice Gucci's. Find a decent optician and they can make you look good with a cheap set. I didn't mind wearing glasses, but my prescription was so high that even with really high end lenses, I still had pretty thick glasses.

12. Baraka_Guru

I know I'm going to get hit by this sooner rather than later. I just know it.

13. Charlatan

They say it hits after 40. Stand by...

14. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

I had some snazzy birth control glasses in boot camp just like everyone else there who wore corrective lenses. I ditched those immediately of course as soon as possible.
    Another entry in the "started wearing glasses at age 9" here. My unassisted reading distance is literally right in front of my nose.
    I saw an officer nearly crying because I was *this close* to a medical discharge on my vision alone. Not sure I would still get that waiver today, as they have gotten worse since then.

15. Baraka_Guru

You didn't read my earlier post, did you, ol' chap? :p

16. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

I did glasses and contacts for a million years. I was basically legally blind before eye surgery. My astigmatism was so strong I figure the lead edge of my eye had to be shaped like a shot glass. If you've got the cash up front, it pays for itself in a few years and the ability to see naturally is so liberating.

17. Smackre

Smackre Vertical

Just think your lucky. Some of us been wearing glasses since we was young. I got mine when I was 7.

18. SuburbanZombie

SuburbanZombie Housebroken

I realized I needed glasses about 3 or 4 years ago. Nearsighted. The eye doc said that was atypical for my age. Guess most people my age need reading glasses first.

19. Daniel_

Daniel_ The devil made me do it...

There are a number of reasons for spectacles....

Astigmatism can be sorted with contact lenses, or LASIK as well as glasses. It happens when the cornea (the clear front of the eye) is not spherical - it's sometimes slightly "rugby ball" shaped, and the degree measurement on your prescription shows at what angle the long axis of the rugby ball is. It is static, and does not change with age.

Short sightedness or long sightedness is related to the length of the eye and can change as you grow but by your age should be static.

The final type of defect is presbyopia, where the focus of the eye is degraded over time as the lens gets less compressible and therefore cannot accomodate when you try to look at something very near.

This is when bifocals or reading glasses become necessary.

20. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

I have astigmatism and I'm near-sighted. I have been wearing glasses full-time since I was 17. I probably should have been wearing them before that...I had them, I just didn't like wearing them. Then, I got some fashionable frames, and since then, I can't imagine my face without my glasses. It would look strange to me.