1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

just found out I need glasses

Discussion in 'Tilted Life and Sexuality' started by Strange Famous, Aug 6, 2011.

1. sbscout

sbscout Getting Tilted

I'm into the bifocals stage of my life now. I started wearing glasses over 30 years ago. They're just part of me at this point.

2. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

I can't go without glasses.

I have a rep to protect.

• Like Like x 1
  3. I was prescribed my first glasses for reading when I was a teenager. My eyes just don't focus on the same plane. That was over 40 years ago. I've been wearing bifocals for over 20.

Can't have LASIK... at least, not my right eye. I have scar tissue inside the eye (from a very interesting episode I went through in my youth) that may or may not be dislodged by the procedure, so no zap-zap for the grumpster. I tried going with just one contact... a reading lens, but found that disorienting and ineffective.

I take my glasses off when I go on stage, and during other, more personal times. Generally, though, if I'm awake, my glasses are on my face.

• Like Like x 1
  4. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

I would just like to point out that men in glasses are sexy.

....moving on. I think I was 22 or 23 when I first got glasses. I'm not wearing them NOW because I lost them, and I seem to have lost all my contacts as well (that's a story for another time, though.) I'm nearsighted, but the only thing it REALLY affects is my ability to read from afar.

I like wearing glasses. Plus, the idea of surgery on my eyes squicks me out WAY too much, so I'll continue on with my corrective lenses (well, when I can afford them again, anyway.)

5. Why, thank you, Cinn!

6. Have worn glasses since the fourth grade. In my early 20's I wore contacts exclusively for about 20 years. For the longest time I didn't even have glasses, just contacts. Then it happens and you can no longer read menus or in low light. A couple of years later it is contacts with reading glasses. Then after a while I said screw it and now I am exclusively glasses. At least glasses today have some style but damn are they expensive. Just ordered a new pair last week. Ouch.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Zen

Zen Very Tilted

Very nearsighted from age 6.
    Age 16, got contacts. Changed my personality overnight ... I had not expected that.
    These days, eyes a lot dryer, therefore wearing glasses a lot more often.
    Intend to get laser surgery one day.

Strange Famous ... do some research on optitians and different options of lenses for glasses. Here in England, the basic lens is very cheap ... then they ramp up the total with addons which, imo, are generally minimum requirements. Of COURSE I want it to be scratch resistant. Of Course I dont want it to be Half an inch thick, and of course I don't want loads of internal reflections confusing me. Best wishes to you as you enter this bespectacled world.

8. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

That is hilarious! Not sure why I never hear it before, maybe I need to get out more often :D.

Is there a clear or general time period when this started? I definitely missed it :(.

----------------------------

Glasses since age eight, actually needed them sooner. Nearsighted and farsighted--???, glasses helped with reading and seeing things in the distance--with astigmatism. [Thanks, dad. I got your crazy hair which is actually holding up quite well, and your very poor eyesight. A fair tradeoff...I guess.] This was back when "four eyes" was still a common insult. Even the gradually shaded glasses popular in the '70s (if you weren't around then, think of Steven Hyde's glasses in That '70s Show) were BCGs on me. I tried a variety of contacts. Dry eyes and droopy eyelids made them massively uncomfortable.

Since glasses have became mostly acceptable* and my vanity (what little there was) has died down with age, lasik or lense inserts doesn't have the same appeal it used to. OTOH once the money from my snow ski resort in Nigeria investment starts rolling in I might consider it. Maybe.

* If I could push a button to make the people who wear glasses only for show seriously need glasses, I would. Without a second thought.

EDIT--High index lenses are a Gift From Science (or Some Diety of your choosing). I also have a narrow nose, and my nose is greasy, just enough, even an hour after a shower, for glasses to slide down my nose. That drives me crazy, even on other people. Adjustable nose pieces are a must. I always make sure the optician marks my lenses with the lenses right in front of my eyes, not down my nose. Especially since I went to bifocals, unlined because I don't want to look old :p, around seven years ago.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  9. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

That one certainly passed me by.

I've been wearing glasses since 4th grade. While I've lost any ability to compensate without them, my corrected vision is very good. Like > 20/15 good. I have no interest in LASIX, I'm used to glasses and why screw with success?

I can no longer read with my glasses on, though if I went with bifocals, the bottom part would be clear. I don't see the point and just remove mine.

Glass lenses and titanium frames for me. I'm a bit rough on them.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Derwood

Derwood Slightly Tilted

I've worn glasses since grade school. I'm 42 and have never even tried contact lenses. I kinda like the look of my glasses

• Like Like x 2
  11. Fangirl

Fangirl Very Tilted

I wear corrective contact lenses for non-reading activities to which I add readers when I need to (read). If I don't feel like putting plastic in my eyes I wear my transition eyeglasses. I am legally blind w/out correction. Started wearing glasses in 4th grade but needed them before. Have worn contact lenses since age 13. They were hard plastic then. Now I wear disposables. Surgery is not an option for me due to how impaired my vision is coupled w/the astigmatism. I don't consider my poor eyesight a big deal at all. Grateful for technology.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

My case was similar until a couple of years ago when I realized that doing martial arts while wearing contact lenses is liberating.

• Like Like x 3
  13. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

I have daily disposables because I like my glasses a lot, but there's no arguing with the freedom gained from contacts, especially when doing something where I want to wear cheapo sunglasses.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  14. Derwood

Derwood Slightly Tilted

I've got transition lenses in my main glasses, and a pair of prescription sunglasses for the car.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

That'll be my next set of glasses. The ? will be unlined bifocals in the shades? I'd then be tempted to keep them on in-doors when running quick errands.

16. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

I do too many things where losing a pair of prescription sunglasses is possible. I'll stick with the contacts.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

17. Wildmermaid

Wildmermaid Very Tilted

Had my first glasses for nearsightedness in 5th grade, horrible thick, HUGE, plastic translucent light purple frames, with get this tinted lenses. >.< For a painfully shy and abused kid, I don't know what in the hell I was thinking choosing that combination. I also had big wide open eyes so "Bug Eyes" was my name at more than one school. O.O

At 14 at the buffer a twisted piece of copper flew into my eye in jewelry class and cut it pretty deeply. Was in a pirate patch for months and now every time I go to an eye Doc. have to explain what gave the scar lol. After that adventure I wore goggles from the time I entered the jewelry room until leaving lol. That same year had to switch to contacts as glasses are coke bottle thick and don't safely work anymore.

Contacts to this day as close to legally blind in right eye have low vision in it, left has fared a bit better. Without contacts I can see about 6" out so I read without them. Torsional rotation too so they move independently of each other so one is often looking a different direction if I don't have both contacts in. My husband laughs about it, and I do too, though sometimes I'm pretty ashamed of it.
    012dc2b55e7f351e1f7ea7977731d5f5c813bfeaf9abd556da254a8f66e4f2d6.jpg

• Like Like x 3