1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Learning a language

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Strange Famous, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Strange Famous

Strange Famous it depends on who is looking...

I want to try and learn better German (my current level is very basic)

Has anyone ever tried Rosetta Stone software? If so, is it worth the money?

2. EyeSeePeeDude

EyeSeePeeDude Getting Tilted

Works well - the Air Force uses it for pre-deployment study (for free).

3. Jove

Jove Slightly Tilted

I had difficulty learning Russian with Rosetta Stone because it shows you an image, then the word, which you have to repeat through a microphone. Perhaps you will have an easier time learning German.

I think you could save money by going through http://www.livemocha.com/

4. sgbsteve

sgbsteve Getting Tilted

that livemocha looks interesting. I may need to check that out. Learning some more spanish would come in handy.

5. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

My public library provides free access to this software: http://www.mangolanguages.com/

I've done the first lesson on Japanese but I didn't have time to get much further than that. It seemed fairly straightforward and easy to follow.

6. Strange Famous

Strange Famous it depends on who is looking...

the library system in the Black Country probably isnt what its like round your way.

I'd love the chance to take it for free, and the costs are pretty off putting (£300 off Amazon)... but my local library (for a town of approx 200,000) is basically the size of a decent petrol station (gas station?) and has nothing but scruffy old paperbook books, the majority of them being large print.

7. cj2112

cj2112 Slightly Tilted

I've heard good things about Rosetta Stone,but never used it. I dunno thatlearning a language, just for fun, is worth the price of the software though.