1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Legalizing same-sex marriage: Domino effect?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Baraka_Guru, Apr 17, 2013.

1. My marriage hasn't crumbled yet. WTF?:confused::D

• Like Like x 1
  2. omega

omega Very Tilted

Vermont equalized marriage in 2000.

• Like Like x 1
  3. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Mine either, and here it's been legal for over a year.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

My marriage hasn't crumbled yet, but I feel more like a lesbian.

• Like Like x 3
  5. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

I think that's normal.

• Like Like x 2
  6. POPEYE

POPEYE Very Tilted

my woman friend and I are very happy, just don't see the point in marriage of any kind. You can legally do anything with out the paper.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

This has always been true of common law couples, but not same sex couples who would otherwise qualify for common law marriage.

Question: does anyone know if common law marriage applies to same sex couples now?

• Like Like x 1
  8. redux

redux Very Tilted

I'm pretty sure that there are only a handful of states in the US that recognize common law marriage as meeting the legal requirements of marriage in the state and thus eligibility for state/federal benefits of marriage.

Somewhat related, earlier this year, the federal government began the process of changing the definition of "spouse" as it applies to federal benefits like the Family and Medical Leave Act and of course several states lead by Texas challenged those regulations. The recent SCOTUS decision will validate those regs and effectively kill the latest lawsuit.

I would assume that the new definition of spouse would certainly apply in those few states that accept common law marriage as legally binding in terms of access to govt benefits. I'm not so sure what would happen in most states.

Can a common law gay couple benefit from the FMLA in states where common law is not legally binding or recognized? I dont know.

Or I could be wrong about the whole legally binding issue.

9. SirLance

SirLance Death Therapist

The role of the state in recognizing the creation of a marital community is to extend certain benefits, which government must do equally, and in the event of the dissolution of that community to protect the property rights of the spouses and the welfare of any children that issue from the community.

The composition of that community is irrelevant to the state's role. To refuse to recognize a community based on it's composition is a violation of the equal protection clause. We recognize as 501(c)3 charities those which are chartered to assist LBGT people, do we not?

Doesn't Jesus say divorce is bad? Does anyone remember when Christian court clerks refused to accept divorce papers? Oh, yeah, me neither. The ironies just keep piling up....

I think the onion had the best take on it: Supreme Court On Gay Marriage: 'Sure, Who Cares' - The Onion - America's Finest News Source

10. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 Very Tilted

On paper: No
    By law: Yes
    In practice: Unless those states issue some kind of instructions or revise the law there might be either illegal refusals to recognize the marriage or some trivial clerical procedure to challenge/change/circumvent the wording depending on how assholeish everyone involved wants to be.

At this point the answer to almost everything connected to this ruling boils down to a simple question: Who's stupid enough to try this shit again?

11. Street Pattern

Street Pattern Very Tilted

Michigan has never recognized common-law marriage, and Obergefell doesn't change that.

The same could be said for most other states.

12. POPEYE

POPEYE Very Tilted

Married legally seems to be the point. Same -sex is pushing hard. So you can legally assign any one person or two as beneficiaries on life insurance, name any person as a partner on medical forms, even in Oklahoma. You can legally represent yourself and get all legal benefits of marriage with some simple forms...yet Same-sex is pushing for the law to be changed. Isn't this what it's really about? Changing the law. This is not about qualifying for anything legal. And no I am not anti-LGBT.

13. redux

redux Very Tilted

There are hundreds of federal benefits that cannot be "legally assigned" by a simple contract between the two parties if they do not meet the federal definition of "spouse" including the aforementioned FMLA and in many cases, Social Security retirement and/or survivor benefits, veterans benefits, immigration benefits, tax benefits, etc.

• Like Like x 2
  14. OtherSyde

OtherSyde Slightly Tilted

Holy cross-dressers, Batman! Now this: Pentagon Moves to Allow Transgender People to Serve Openly in the Military

I mean I'm not hating on Trans people, I just did not see this coming!

[EDIT] - Although this may cause some growing pains and cultural changes within the military, it will be hilarious to watch the ultra-conservatives shit their pants and proclaim that the End of Days is upon us :D

RationalWiki's always-entertaining "What's Going On in the Clogosphere" section will be packed with new entries to giggle at lol
    _

Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  15. SirLance

SirLance Death Therapist

It's the end of the world as we know it... and I feel fine!

As long as a soldier is committed and physically able to achieve the mission; who gives a fuck?

• Like Like x 1
  16. redux

redux Very Tilted

But there is a "secret memo" from DoJ! :eek:

17. destiny_driven

destiny_driven New Member

I can understand the gays wanting equal rights, but where does this thing stop? The next thing that you know the bestiality people will be up in arms wanting to marry their Shetland ponies. And what about the necrophiliacs? Hey, just where do you draw the line with unnatural acts being normal and acceptable? In my opinion this collected effort to achieve political correctness in the world stinks.

18. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

One of these things is not like the other:

Consenting Adults
    Animals
    Corpses
    Rocks

/CollegeDebateTeam
    /HighSchoolDebateTeam
    /MiddleSchoolDebateTeam

Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
    • Like Like x 3
  19. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

We'd need to give Shetland ponies and cadavers the right to vote first.

/UniversalSuffrageSlipperySlope
    /TheVoteBelongsToWhiteMaleLandowners
    /WhereDoesItStop?

Goddamn those people and their desire to help the disadvantaged! Fucking social justice warriors and their pesky social justice, amiright?

Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

Well...