1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Legalizing same-sex marriage: Domino effect?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Baraka_Guru, Apr 17, 2013.

1. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

The funny thing is, at least half of those squares are legitimate responses to a lot of the shit that people shovel.

• Like Like x 1
  2. SirLance

SirLance Death Therapist

I despise political correctness but this isn't about that. It's about equality. You can still be a homophobe if you want to. No one is trying to put prior restraint on anyone's speech (except in Oregon), but when the public acts in the form of government we must act equally towards all people.

3. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Well, that was in response to the doxxing that the Kleins engaged in, and it isn't actually a gag order: Gag order or cease and desist? National media feud over Sweet Cakes | OregonLive.com

4. SirLance

SirLance Death Therapist

We'll agree to disagree. Technically what the BLI commissioner issued was a cease and desist order, but in fact it prohibits speech prior to that speech being made. It's both a gag order and prior restraint.

5. redux

redux Very Tilted

It appears to me to be simply an order that the bakers cannot put anything in writing that says they will continue to discriminate and/or encourage others to discriminate based on sexual orientation in direct violation of the law.

C. NOW, THEREFORE, as authorized by ORS 659A.850(4), and to further eliminate the effect of the violations of ORS 659A.409 by Respondents Aaron Klein and Melissa Klein, the Commissioner of the Bureau of Labor and industries hereby orders Respondents Aaron Klein and Melissa Klein to cease and desist from publishing, circulating, issuing or displaying or causing to be published, circulated, issued or displayed , any communication, notice, advertisement, or sign of any kind to the effect that any of the accommodations, advantages, facilities, services, or privileges of a place of public accommodation will be refused, withheld from, or denied to, or that any discrimination will be made against, any person on account of sexual orientation.​

They can go on talk radio and anywhere else and bitch and moan about being the victim of religious persecution and can engage in any kind of name calling they want. They cannot post or circulate anything that encourages unlawful actions.

6. redux

redux Very Tilted

Rowan County, KY is finally issuing marriage licenses to gay couples after the county clerk was jailed for repeatedly refusing to obey the law.

Some on the right are now comparing Kim Davis, the jailed county clerk, to Rosa Parks

[​IMG]

"Kim Davis, the Clerk of Rowan County, Kentucky is now taking a stand and is refusing to be sent to the back of the bus as a second class citizen in a country founded upon Judeo-Christian values."​

Rosa Parks didn’t violate the establishment clause of the 1st amendment.
    Rosa Parks wasn’t acting as a government employee.
    Rosa Parks didn’t violate anyone’s 14th amendment rights.
    Rosa Parks did not get paid to ride the bus.
    --- merged: Sep 4, 2015 at 1:18 PM ---
    response: "She’s not Rosa Parks, she’s the fucking bus driver on a government bus."
    Matt Barber: Kim Davis is a modern day Rosa Parks.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  7. omega

omega Very Tilted

She's worse than the bus driver. At least the bus drivers could argue that they were following policy. This horrible little person is creating discrimination over mythology and in direct violation of the supreme court of the land. She took an oath, and has violated that oath. And done so under the most pernicious and flopsy idea of "religion". Prove your god is real, otherwise stop trying to pretend it is and stop trying to legislate based on fairy tales.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 Very Tilted

"We're enforcing religious law now? Spiffy, my God hates bacon and bowlcuts let's talk about that..."

• Like Like x 1
  9. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

“Again you have heard that it was said to those of old, ‘You shall not swear falsely, but shall perform to the Lord what you have sworn.’ But I say to you, Do not take an oath at all, either by heaven, for it is the throne of God, or by the earth, for it is his footstool, or by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the great King. And do not take an oath by your head, for you cannot make one hair white or black. Let what you say be simply ‘Yes’ or ‘No’; anything more than this comes from evil."​
    —Matthew 5:33-37​

• Like Like x 2
  10. redux

redux Very Tilted

And there will be no GoFundMe scheme to reward this "martyr" like the Indiana pizza shop owner who made $850K for proudly proclaiming that she would never serve pizza at a gay wedding (not that she was asked to do so).

• Like Like x 2
  11. redux

redux Very Tilted

Sign for Kim Davis in her hometown

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  12. redux

redux Very Tilted

Mocking the anti-gay marriage crowd?

• Like Like x 2
  13. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 Very Tilted

The SCotUS decision has had some fallout in the masonic world as well. Some states include prohibitions on homosexuality in their bylaws which are under challenge now that more brothers are coming out and getting married, and others (coughKYcough) have had people bring up gay brothers on charges of abandoning the requirement of a belief in a higher power.

I don't know yet whether this will be as great a schism as the two hundred year divide between white and black masonry, but I hope it won't be. We were on the wrong side of history once before, I hope we won't repeat it to our everlasting shame once again.