1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Food Let's get it percolatin' - how do you take your coffee?

Discussion in 'Tilted Food' started by DamnitAll, Sep 5, 2011.

1. 26924_105771112774795_100000257190730_143551_410230_n.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  2. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

Ha! A little slip. I am always calling it the Riverdale Zoo. Yes, I went there when I was very young. I don't have concrete memories but rather impressionistic ones. You can still see some of the Zoo's infrastructure if you wander some of the trails on the farm at the bottom of the hill, just to the north of the lower gate.

3. uncle phil

uncle phil Moderator Emeritus (and sorely missed) Staff Member Donor

used to drink two - three cups every morning (damn, i loved dunkin' donuts coffee) - then saw a few of my buddies who drank coffee constantly end up dying of kidney failure and cut down to one cup a day. my doctor hugged me...

4. ktspktsp

ktspktsp Vertical

Espresso every morning. It's a ritual... Turn on the machine, grind the beans, make some coffee. No sugar.. I used to like sugar in Turkish coffee as a teenager but now I can't stand sugar in my coffee... And I don't like milk either. Which makes making coffee easier I guess :).

At work I drink some instant coffee (which claims to be espresso, but obviously is not) since the coffee at work sucks.

On certain weekends and when camping, I do a French press or a pour-over..

5. samcol

samcol Getting Tilted

black coffee straight up when it's cold out, and starbucks iced coffee in the summer when it's hot. i really need to start making this iced coffee at home because it's so expensive.

6. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

We have a small drip coffee maker, but I hardly ever use it...

I very much enjoy chai lattes, but that's a treat. Regular coffee, I take black and bitter and STRONG. Yum.

Edit: We had a flavored coffee where I used to work called Jamaican-Me-Crazy. It had a sort of caramel-y flavor. It was pretty yummy.

• Like Like x 1
  7. I have a standard Mr. Coffee drip machine and grinder. I prefer milder beans, I find darker roasts too bitter. and I add a little non-dairy creamer to mine. I've never tried half and half or cream, but I've added milk and it tasted the way spoiled milk smells. I drink a cup most mornings.

8. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Coffee is one of those versatile things that should have various things done with it. I don't understand how people have just one or two ways they like their coffee.

For me, coffee is an adventure (especially now that I don't have it every day like I used to).

I like variety in roasts: light, medium, dark, extra dark.

I like variety in preparations: drip, coffee press, espresso.

I like variety in serving: cuppa, doppio, latte, Americano, etc.

I even like to vary the fixings: black or cream, honey, demerara sugar, and soy milk mix and matched in my drip and pressed cups; Cuban espresso (sugar in the bottom of the cup first); mochas; and let's not forget such things as correttos, Spanish, and Irish coffees.

I like to experience everything the bean and human ingenuity can offer.

• Like Like x 2
  9. BadNick

BadNick Getting Tilted

I've tried beans from all sorts of places, but my current favorite is Gold Coast Blend beans from Starbucks which is one of their "extra bold" beans. I grind it Turkish which is super fine like powder. I take 5 scoopers (I think each is about 1 TBS) of that into a Melitta #4 drip filter and microwave 2 cups of water to near boiling, then pour it through. To my taste, this brings out a great natural sweetness and flavor without any bitterness. I usually splash a very little bit of whole milk into it, but sometimes I drink it black and like it about as much. Most days I drink these 2 cups worth in the morning and that's all the coffee I have. On weekends I'll have another one in the afternoon if I'm home. I really enjoy this coffee but as I've gotten older I can't handle drinking more or I can't fall asleep. Except for a couple coffee shops around here where I may have one occasionally, I just don't like most other coffee so I avoid it. The coffee in work is horrid but I know most people won't like it my way so I just avoid their stuff.

10. I like my coffee like I like my men....

• Like Like x 1
  11. Redlemon

Redlemon Getting Tilted

Ground up and in the freezer?

• Like Like x 3
  12. bobby

bobby More Than Slightly Tilted ! Donor

French press and usually a fresh grind of Sumatra...xoxoxoo

• Like Like x 1
  13. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

I was going to say: fresh, with cream—and keep 'em comin'.

14. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

Hot, strong, and bitter :D (and any time of day.)

• Like Like x 1
  15. amonkie

amonkie Very Tilted

I love all the darker roasts. I have never enjoyed decaf though - something just tastes... wrong.

16. BEST ANSWER! I have never heard this one before.

Also a good answer

Yes....keep 'em coming....and err...well the other spelling of that word.

I was just gonna say "black." It's racist though....but true. Sadly, I live in the Pacific Northwest and will probably have to switch to some sort of tea or something. Also racist. Sorry folk. I am being dirty and racist lately.

Funny story while I was in Portland talking to an African American lady in a coffee shop (See, totally related)

Lady: Are there any black people in your town?
    Me: Uhhh...during the school year there are.
    Lady: If it weren't for football or basketball, there wouldn't be any black people in that place.
    Me: I have no argument.

17. the_jazz

the_jazz Accused old lady puncher

I love that the OP has a picture of a mug from the place where I learned to drink coffee as a teenager - Cafe Du Mond in New Orleans. Nothing better than getting drunk in the Quarter and sobering up with cafe au lait and beignets served by crabby Vietnamese women.

Now, though, I drink my coffee black. Like my heart. Duh.

I've been experimenting with local roasters and found one I like - Metropolis. http://www.metropoliscoffee.com/ Specifically their Red Line blend. It's quite tasty when our coffee maker doesn't decide to randomly brew a weak pot.

• Like Like x 2
  18. DamnitAll

DamnitAll Wait... what?

Since I meant to post a picture of this back when this thread was created and couldn't find one at the time...

[​IMG]

Former Breaking Bad character Gale Boetticher's meth lab brewing station, engineered to brew "the perfect cup of coffee."

Back in reality, a friend of ours has recently started roasting her own beans at home. She's given us samples of two of her latest varieties, and I can't wait to try them out.

19. Leto

Leto Slightly Tilted

roasting at home is great. We have some Ethiopian friends who schooled us on roasting and making coffee. Just put green beans into a frying pan and stir ontop of the stove, or more slowly, in a cookie sheet and roast in the oven. Just do enough for what you need at the time. Then separate the chaff from the beans, grind and filter drip.

The (Ethiopian) tradition is to serve with popcorn. It's a bit of a process, but the java is tastey.

20. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

I found some Indonesian and some Kenya Gatomboya in the freezer... Bless you, Stumptown.