1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Food Let's get it percolatin' - how do you take your coffee?

Discussion in 'Tilted Food' started by DamnitAll, Sep 5, 2011.

1. Irishsean

Irishsean Vertical

I'm on my third Bodum French press. The first one I broke because I didn't know how to use it properly. The second one worked so well my wife and I both started drinking more coffee, and we wound up getting a larger one to accommodate. I really like dark roasts, but being in the backwoods of Texas I take what I can get. Right now I'm working through a bag of Margaritaville Pirate Gold, which is pretty good. It has a nice smoky backtaste I like. As for garnish I usually add a bit of stevia and a splash of heavy cream. In the summer I'll cold brew a gallon at a time overnight and just mix it half and half with heavy cream. Delicious!

2. Phi Eyed

Phi Eyed Getting Tilted

French pressed, medium roast, extra hot, Parmalat, one sugar. Cup weight is a factor, as well. I need the cup to be wide brimmed and bodied not too tall and fairly light.

3. SuburbanZombie

SuburbanZombie Housebroken

Love my Keurig as well.
    I never drank more than 1 cup a day, so the old Mr Coffee (or whatever it was) never got used.

4. Eddie Getting Tilted

I drink one insulated mug of coffee in the morning and one at night. I grind it up and french press it. A little milk, a little sugar. I like to try different roasts and different brands. I only use organic coffee beans. Generally, I love kona, costa rican, guatamalan, and sumatra beans. But I'll try just about anything as long as there no fruity or citrusy notes, yuck.

Right now I'm drinking this, it's a medium blend, smooth but with a really full flavor and very little bitterness:

[​IMG]

5. Irishsean

Irishsean Vertical

Going to throw this out here. It was recommended to me as a good alternative to the heavy cream in my coffee, it tastes good, and makes me feel great, but it is really weird. Take 2 cups of coffee and drop into your tempered blender (Put some hot water in it to bring up the temp so you don't crack the glass, remove the water before putting the coffee in), add to that a tablespoon of unsalted pastured butter, and a tablespoon of coconut oil. Blend it until its frothy and rich. Add whatever sweetener you need, I use a little stevia. Its rich and delicious, winds up about 250 calories and keeps me full until lunch without any cravings or hunger pangs.

6. EventHorizon

EventHorizon assuredly the cause of the angry Economy..

french press whatever is available at the local grocers (which is little more than a convenience store minus the gas) right now it's folgers french roast. i like it a little darker than most and i'm finally getting back into drinking black coffee. i dont know why the bitterness appeals to me, but putting creamer in seems to take away from the tastiness

7. Tophat665

Tophat665 Slightly Tilted

How to I take my coffee? Any way I can get it as often as I can get it. Fuel. Not Food.

Yes, I am a Caffeine Philistine

8. Tophat665

I'm guessing this goes here too...

9. Random McRandom

Random McRandom Starry Eyed

ermm.. not sure how I missed this thread.

We're French press fans. While it takes a few seconds longer to make the coffee this way, it seems to give the most consistent cup out of any other brew process. I'm thinking about trying the aeropress, but for now, I'll keep the French.

My wife and I like a variety of medium and dark roasts, and I take my coffee black and she desecrates hers with cream and sugar. Deans Beans makes some good fair trade, organic blends and they get the grind right (if you don't take whole bean) which is important depending on your brewing preference. I've been on a straight french roast Colombian kick lately and the wife is drinking a Sumatra Black Satin. The Sumatras are a bit sweet for me so she'll never complain that I stole her Sumatras or her Mocha Javas.

Coffee in this house is more than just a boost to wake up in the morning, it's about taste, balance and enjoyment. You'll never find a tin of maxwell house or folgers in our pantry..unless you bring it and leave it.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Tophat665

Now, for when coffee is for flavor rather than fuel:
    At starbucks: Triple Venti Latte
    To really make Mrs. Hat happy, I'll put the coffee in the basket, put about an inch and a half of cinnamon stick on it and the same in the carafe, then 5 or 6 green cardamoms and 2 whole cloves, then ask Joe (The coffee maker. Mr. Coffee & I are on a first name basis) to make the batch strong. She takes it black. I take it 24 oz at a time with about 10% milk, with 2 teaspoons of sugar, and a shot of Bourbon or Brandy or Kahlua or Gran Marnier or some combination thereof if I'm feeling particularly saucy.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Tophat665

Coffee is my favorite vegetable.

• Like Like x 1
  12. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

It's crazy, but the last couple days I've been drinking it black. It's part of an experiment. Usually, black coffee wrecks my stomach, but since I've been eating breakfast, this has not been a side effect. I do kind of miss the interaction of certain flavor notes in the coffee interacting with the cream, but it is also nice to drink some coffees black and get the full flavor experience.

13. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

I don't drink much coffee anymore, but I still can't get over how much I enjoy a proper dark roast (French preferably) black coffee, sometimes with a bit of demerara sugar. Now that it's a rare treat, it's more enjoyable.

14. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Coffee should always be a treat, even when you drink it every day. We change roasts/origins/roasters with some regularity in order to keep the experience fresh.

15. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

My wife is a junkie and we live in the sticks. 20 miles each way for her to get a latte got really old. Toss in the fact that water boils at 196 at our elevation, making many inexpensive espresso machines unworkable.

We have a double boiler, Isso Alex Duetto II and use 50/50 decaf dark roast Sumatra in it. It took an insane amount of tweaking to get the temperature correct. Apparently, altitude matters a great deal in an espresso machine.

16. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

And baking!

17. roachboy

roachboy Very Tilted

french press. dark roast coffee. soy milk. i know, i know.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Random McRandom

Random McRandom Starry Eyed

I just ordered a bag of beans named Caveman Kicker. I can't wait to give it a try.

Hard to go wrong with a press and a dark roast. Once you get the temp tweaked out for the coffee you like there is simply nothing better.

19. EventHorizon

EventHorizon assuredly the cause of the angry Economy..

suppository, but when that fails, i have a french press

• Like Like x 2
  20. Tophat665

For all the good those coffee pills did me, I could have shoved them up my ass...

• Like Like x 1