1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Food Let's get it percolatin' - how do you take your coffee?

Discussion in 'Tilted Food' started by DamnitAll, Sep 5, 2011.

1. honeywest New Member

I like my coffee iced on weekday mornings. In the evenings, if out and feeling like it, I might have an espresso for dessert.
    It is the weekends that I love though, especially Sundays when I make a pot of French roast in the am and drink it hot with half/half, while I do the crossword and hang out.

2. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

That sounds epic.

3. Bodkin van Horn

Bodkin van Horn One of the Four Horsewomyn of the Fempocalypse

I'll take it how I can get it, though I prefer fresh and competently brewed. I worked at Starbucks for a couple years and when I started I was into all those fancy-ass sugary drinks, mainly because I didn't have to pay for them. As my barista time progressed I slowly towards drip coffee with tons of cream and then eventually I went black.

I'm not above gas station coffee if that's the only thing available.

4. EventHorizon

EventHorizon assuredly the cause of the angry Economy..

folgers or the insta coffees are the best and blow all those fancy names out of the water 10/10 times

5. Bodkin van Horn

Bodkin van Horn One of the Four Horsewomyn of the Fempocalypse

I isn't the name that makes the bean, it's where it came from, how it was roasted, how it was stored and how it was brewed. Anyone with hands can brew a pot of coffee. But without the right combination of those factors, no one can brew a "good" pot of coffee.

• Like Like x 1
  6. snowy

They are NOT the best, but they are okay in a pinch. I think they're blended the way they are to make up for the incompetence of the people brewing the coffee.

I will take my organic, fair trade, shade-grown, bird-friendly single-origin hippie coffee over any other coffee any day of the week. But if it isn't available, I will settle for an organic, fair trade blend. If that isn't available, fine, pass the fucking Folgers.

It depends on how badly you want the coffee. There are few times I want coffee that badly.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Random McRandom

Random McRandom Starry Eyed

wrong wrong wrong

It may be that way for YOU but while it's not the name (starbucks is horrid slop), there are so many shade-grown, organics that come from different regions from people who know how to properly roast the beans that destroy the mass produced junk that folgers or maxwell house put out. You say you enjoy french press coffee, if you own your own press, I suggest checking out http://www.roaste.com to get you started on some phenomenal beans and blends. Once you find some great organic beans from people who know what they're doing, I can bet 10:1 you'll change your stance.

• Like Like x 1
  8. EventHorizon

recommendations? i'm into medium roast if that makes a difference

9. Random McRandom

Dean's Beans has a great straight up Colombian. Yes Colombian is a medium roast. Go to roaste and put in medium roast and see what comes up. It's a great "beginners" way to explore new beans and roasts. They seem to be committed to fair-trade/organics so that's a plus as well. I like roaste because I can just set up my auto delivery schedule and change it how I want with new beans/delivery. Plus, the majority of vendors I've used on there actually get the grinds right based on what you put in. If I order one bag in espresso and one in whole bean and one in french press, they are all right. That's a plus for me.

10. snowy

Or you could just buy a burr grinder and do it yourself. I really want a hand grinder for camping.

EventHorizon, it is hard for me to make coffee recommendations to you because I typically buy from local roasters. One offers online ordering, and they do have a Colombia medium roast right now: http://www.orlegacycoffee.com/coffee.html I wish they had their Guatemalan or Honduran medium roast online--those are my favorite medium roasts from them. Their dark roast Sumatran is fantastic.

I would find out which coffee shops in your area support local roasters or do their own roasting, pop in, and start tasting.

11. Random McRandom

most burr grinders that you buy in stores are crazy inconsistent. I don't mind a bit of sludge or grain in my coffee, but most people do. A $20 BB&B burr grinder is not going to give the greatest results which is why I just let the boys who know what they're doing do it most of the time. :)

12. EventHorizon

sludge = caffeine that you can chew on. it's a godsend when pulling an all-nighter

• Like Like x 1
  13. Freetofly

Freetofly Diving deep into the abyss

Prefer medium roast with a dab of cream. Although I will take it anyway I can apprehend it!:cool:

• Like Like x 1
  14. RiverWolf

RiverWolf Vertical

I'm more of a, straight up milk and two sugars, with the amount of coffee that I drink it would be too expensive to get anything other than a cheap instant.

Me + less than 10 - 15 cups a day = not a very pleasant person to be around. :D

15. Candle

Candle Vertical

Typically I have Starbucks Yukon blend, or Kicking Horse Three Sisters, or Salt Spring Sumatra. Most French roasts will do in a pinch as well. I I variable use a French press, but I'm starting to dislike the number of fines per cup, so I think I will start to dump hot water I after brewing to dilute the delicious solution. or go back to drip method.

16. snowbaby16

snowbaby16 Vertical

I started drinking coffee about 6 years ago at work just to stay awake. It had to have alot of sugar and creamer just to gag it down. Now I can't go without it. A little bit of sugar and some french vanilla creamer makes my perfect cup of joe. I never really buy it out anywhere, unless we're out for breakfast and it always seems old and burnt to me.

17. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

So what is the appeal of these Keurig coffee makers compared to the much cheaper options out there? Are the "K-Cup Packs" worth that much or taste that stellar?

18. snowy

I now have dueling coffee makers on my counter. My dad doesn't like my thermal pot, apparently. I don't like his canned Costco coffee. We are at an impasse.

I would be willing to invest in a new coffeemaker that pleases everyone if anyone has a suggestion.

19. mb99usa

mb99usa Getting Tilted

I use a Keurig and buy my K-cups in bulk from a warehouse store and on-line. Costs me about $0.50 a cup. I also have a re-usable brewing cup that I can place any ground coffee in and use it in the Keurig. I like it because I can now get a cup of coffee on demand and can try different flavors and brands without purchasing more than a few cups worth.

20. hope4love

hope4love Slightly Tilted

For me it is the convenience and the ease. I am the only one in the house that drinks coffee. To be able to make 1 fresh hot cup at a time is priceless for me. There is much less clean up AND my children can make me a cup before I even wake up :D

My morning cup of coffee is Dark Magic. Yum!