1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Recipe Light Recipes for Summer

Discussion in 'Tilted Food' started by snowy, Jun 18, 2013.

1. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

Never thought about it. That's interesting. Most of the vegan ice cream recipes call for honey. Hrm. I just eat them because they're non-dairy and paleo+compliant. I used the name of the recipe they provided. Good call.

2. CrazyBeing Vertical

3. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

4. CrazyBeing Vertical

Not just looks, it tastes yummy too. It is the best and most popular street food in India.

5. snowy

6. GeneticShift

GeneticShift Show me your everything is okay face.

I'm a big fan of light summer pasta salads. You can mix them up with whatever you like, but this is my favorite:

Al dente penne pasta
    Lots of Pesto
    Wilted spinach
    Red onion
    Zucchini
    Chick peas
    Feta

• Like Like x 1
  7. redux

redux Very Tilted

Cold lime/jalapeno/cilantro marinated shrimp....very easy using frozen shrimp.

1 pound bag frozen cooked jumbo shrimp, tail on
    1 medium-size jalapeno, or more to taste, seeded and minced
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
    1/4 cup light olive oil
    Juice of 1 lime
    1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
    Salt and pepper to taste

Place the shrimp in a large colander and thaw under cold running water or spray. Pat dry and transfer to a large mixing bowl.

In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the jalapeno, cilantro, olive oil, lime juice, and vinegar until the mixture thickens, then pour over the shrimp. Gently toss with a rubber spatula until the shrimp are well coated. Season lightly with salt and pepper, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate at least 2 hours or preferably overnight. Occasionally, give the shrimp a light tossing in the marinade to coat evenly.

Pick up by the tail and enjoy!

8. redux

redux Very Tilted

My contribution to dinner tonight will be Watermelon Tuna Ceviche

[​IMG]

I'll wait until about 15-20 min before dinner to start.

• Like Like x 1
  9. GeneticShift

My consumption of guacamole goes up 100 fold in the summer.

I'm always looking to jazz up my basic guac.

Any ideas?

10. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

We have a simple recipe of 2 avocados, two deseeded and degutted finely chopped Roma tomatoes, 1/4c finely diced purple onion, 1/4c chopped fresh cilantro, and the juice of half a lime. I mash the avocados with a fork, then stir in the other stuff with a fork, so it's still lumpy. I like to add a jalapeño chopped really tiny, but hubs likes it the way it is. I also add sea salt to taste.

11. snowy

I like mine with Serrano for extra kick.

It's going to heat up again here soon. I'm waiting for local tomatoes to start rolling into market so I can make Caprese salad. Given the warm spring we've had, tomatoes will be here very, very soon.

12. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

I said jalapeño? I totally meant poblano, lol. I can't wait for my creole tomatoes to ripen. I'm craving a tomato, cucumber, basil sheep's milk feta and balsamic salad.

• Like Like x 1
  13. snowy

Not a recipe, per se, but a way of eating, and something we do frequently in the summer, though we generally do it more in the Italian style:

How the French Make the Best No-Cook Summer Meals — The Kitchn Abroad | The Kitchn

Some things we do: Ciabatta with caprese salad, bruschetta, bread and tapenade, tartines with goat cheese as a base (see Open-Faced! 10 Tartine Recipes — Recipe Roundup | The Kitchn for some ideas for tartines/bruschetta), bread and cheese spread of some kind. These usually go along with a salad of some kind.

14. snowy

Bump--looking for suggestions for today. It's supposed to be 91. What are some of your favorite no-cook recipes?

15. GeneticShift

This is one of my favorite "minimal cook" (you need 2 cups of boiling water, which I just do in the microwave) dishes. Bonus for you, it's vegetarian!
    Zucchini and Bean Salad With Bulgur | Real Simple Recipes

My favorite no cook meatless sandwich:
    Mash drained and rinsed white beans with salt, pepper, and some EVOO.
    Spread the bean mash onto bread of choice, top with sliced red onion, sliced cucumber, alfalfa (or radish or whatever) sprouts, and sliced avocado.
    SO GOOD.

And I love Martha's "lasagna". I like to add a little pesto to it for some extra zip.
    Zucchini Lasagna with Farmer Cheese, Recipe from Martha Stewart Living, August 2010

And of course, you can't go wrong with a gaspacho or panzanella.

• Like Like x 1
  16. snowy

This sounds like a great starting point for a lot of other things--the combo of zucchini, beans, and bulgur could go so many ways. Thanks for the suggestions!

17. snowy

Summer is upon us once more, and after struggling to make dinner through a miniature heat wave earlier this week, I was wondering if anyone had any new recipes for those hot days.

Belatedly, I found this recipe, and intend to make it, but I will be adding some red onion for zip:

Shaved Squash Salad with Sunflower Seeds Recipe | Epicurious.com