1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

LINN HI-FI turntables

Discussion in 'Tilted Gear' started by Chris Noyb, Dec 14, 2022.

1. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

I had never heard of Linn Hi-Fi until I saw a used turntable go for over $600.00 on an on-line auction site (it wasn't eBay). My quick web search leads me to believe the TT in the auction isn't one of Linn's premium models.

I'm curious to know what makes their gear so valuable. I see one of their TTs listed for $28,300.00 (that's not a typo).

2. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

Wow, they are quite pricey. A little digging around makes them sound like units at the extreme top end, with replaceable and upgradeable components, and quite the options available. Still other comments rated then as overhyped and overpriced.

My setup was several hundred bucks a few years ago and is serviceable for my home office. I’m far from an expert, but I’d love to hear detailed reviews by audiophiles listening to one of these units, then the exact same record on a range of other mid and high range units, while being blind to which they were hearing. Typically there is some truth to ‘you get what you pay for’, but there are definite exceptions, as well as extreme cases where paying several times more gets you minuscule improvement.

3. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

I firmly believe that some point the "better" sound is imagined. It might be proven with very sophisticated testing equipment, but the difference can't be distinguished by human hearing.

I've read some interesting arguments among acoustic guitar players over expense and tone. I seriously doubt that a $25K Olson provides any truly noticeable differences from a virtually identical $12K Collings.

4. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

I believe that the rule of thumb in audio is that you pay twice as much for a 10% increase in quality.

Linn is good stuff. If you're willing to buy a Nikon camera or McIntosh amplifier, then Linn is right up your alley.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

I’ll defer to your judgment, this sort of thing is in your area of expertise. I remember more than a couple blog posts and such about your setup.

6. boink

boink Slightly Tilted

The law of diminishing returns.
    Coupled with the law of diminishing physical capabilities of my ears lol...and I spose the condition of the grooves of my vinyl. And also the original soundscape of the recorded material...

• Agree Agree x 1