1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Love Hate Reality TV....

Discussion in 'Tilted Entertainment' started by streak_56, Aug 29, 2011.

1. streak_56

streak_56 I'm doing something, going somewhere...

I love reality TV, but ones I think are feasible.... such as... anything on the Home and Garden Network, I love Bar Rescue, Restaurant Makeover and Kitchen Nightmares. Although I'm sure there's some sort of back room deal made where they get a cut of the profits for X amount of years....

2. I hate reality TV. As a concept, I think it was over done a few years ago but is still being foisted upon us year after year. I understand it costs much less to create a reality show but the entertainment value is pretty low as well. Way too much manufactured drama to suit my taste.

3. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

I am NOT a fan of reality TV. I liked the Real World back in the 90s, but I stopped watching regularly after the London season (I will admit to having a crush on pretty much the entire cast. Especially Jacinda.) I caught a few episodes of the Boston & Miami seasons, but I think by then reality tv had caught on a bit more, and I lost interest (plus, the casts just weren't as interesting to me.)

When I'm visiting Mom, I'll watch some of the HGTV shows with her-- Curb Appeal and House Hunters will keep me entertained, but maybe that's because I daydream about buying my own house and decorating it myself.

Other than that, nah.

4. Lordeden

Lordeden Part of the Problem

I like Pawn Stars and I sometimes watch top chef. I liked the Osborne's on MTV when it was out, cause Ozzy is awesome even in Geriatric Mode.

Otherwise, I could give a fuck about them. I think it's one of the biggest reasons USA's media has went down the shitter.

5. Zen

Zen Very Tilted

Hate.

Gritting my teeth at the moment, because Joe Rogan, great MMA commentator and quite good comedian, is going to do another series of Fear Factor. Three years ago, I thought that was the last of it, and he could get on with his strategic analysis. Heck ... he's even said how much he hated being on such a ridiculous show as Fear Factor. And believe me, if you've SEEN it .. heck ... Major Suckage, with animal intestines and stuff to eat and squiggly things crawling all over you. I couldn't believe how Ewwww and Grosss it was. Week after Week, but did it get better? Noooo. Season ends and you expect they'll make some changes, but Noooo .... next season was just like the previous one. I was so glad when it was the last one.

But now it's all gong to start again. I hate reality TV :mad:

6. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

Generally speaking I HATE it.

I've never watched a minute of Jersey Shore, the Kardashian show, Housewives of whatever, Bachelor, etc. I refuse to even watch American Idol, Dancing With the Stars, or the like.

I do enjoy the oldest old school reality show, COPS though. If I'm having a bad day it always makes me feel better about myself and my life. :p There are a handful of shows that I think are somewhere in the realm of reality/reality-game shows that I'll watch though, even though the over dramatization grates on my nerves. I like watching Top Shot, Last Comic Standing (might have been cancelled?), and just cracked myself up watching a few episodes of Hillbilly Handfishing lately. :)

7. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

My woman watches trash television (her one vice) on the laptop (we don't have cable TeeVee). Some show called "Teen Mom" and then a dating show called "The Bachelor" or "The Bachelorette" (both?). But, yeah, taking shit-for-brains people with stars in their eyes and pumping up their clothing and dining budget so you have a good wardrobe and presentable background to film their booger-hooking me-me-me antics is a waste of time, money and gray matter. America is way into junk food and Reality TeeVee (Reality+, really) is basically the mental equivalent of a sack of stale donuts.

8. uncle phil

uncle phil Moderator Emeritus (and sorely missed) Staff Member Donor

i find myself agreeing with Plan9 more and more as time goes by...

9. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

Snap out of it.

• Like Like x 1
  10. shoegirl

shoegirl Vertical

I mostly hate reality tv. Mostly. I have no desire to watch anything with the Kardashians or Paris Hilton, I don't want to watch any former "celebrities" dance on tv, or anyone trapped on an island, and I have no desire to watch pregnant teenagers.

I do, however, really like watching a couple of reality tv shows. I love Project Runway. Love it. I could do without the drama, I just enjoy watching something be created - whether out of normal fabrics, or ridiculous things from pet stores, or the garbage. I'm not a crafty person at all, so it fascinates me to watch something be created.

And then there's the truly awful being that is America's Next Top Model. It's stupid, Tyra Banks is crazy, these girls are usually overly dramatic and loud... but I still watch it with my best friend. It's an event. And a little like Project Runway, I like to watch something be created - in this case, sometimes there are some really great pictures. So, not 100% terrible - especially when I DVR the show and fast-forward through any monologue by Tyra.

11. Daval

Daval Getting Tilted

I watch survivor, big brother, amazing race, expedition impossible, top chef, restaurant makeover, and hells kitchen (although I really dislike that show, but still watch it, ugh)

I've never seen a minute of american idol, the dance or talent shows, jersey shore or kardashians or anything like that.

12. Not a fan. I do watch American Pickers every now and then and I've watched a couple of episodes of Hoarders - it's like a trainwreck, you can't look away. I think I hate reality TV for the same reason I hate call-in talk radio - people (in general) are stupid and too engrossed with themselves. I don't find flaunting teenage pregnancy, drug addiction, fake romance, and cattiness/bitchiness/assholishness or the like entertaining.

13. greywolf

greywolf Slightly Tilted

I hate Reality TV... almost all of it exists only to prey on our weaknesses and to exploit vulnerable people. Take Hoarders... a documentary on the existence of people who compulsively collect things or who cannot throw things out might be legitimate. A series that revels in the pain of these individuals living in this misery is nothing more than exploitation. I watched the first two episodes of Survivor. In the second episode, a challenge was to eat a (to Western society anyway) disgusting meal of insects. It reminded me of the Newhart show where Larry, Darrell, and Darrell had a company called "Anything For A Buck". They would do anything for a buck , including eat a bug. I thought this is nothing more than Newhart meets Gilligan's Island and I haven't watched a show yet.

Some of them, like The Amazing Race seemed to have a nice premise, but quickly became the same thing. Mostly I just find the shows dull or depressing.

14. fflowley

fflowley Don't just do something, stand there!

The Osbornes was really good because it contained some actual reality. Ozzy was actually a warm, likeable guy on the show.
    I don't see stuff like that any more. I see the idiots on Jersey Shore who try to act like even bigger idiots each successive season so they can keep the gravy train going. The Housewives take the cake though for behaving like idiots.

15. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

I have as much use for 'reality television' as Obama does for sound financial practices or a balanced budget.

I have an especially deep loathing or American Idol, Greatest Race, Survivor, or anything else like that - I just ignore them . If Pawn Stars and Ice Road Truckers fall under the 'reality television' category then I do enjoy those but they have cameras following unscripted 'real life'. Yes they try to manufacture 'drama' with their editing (especially with shows like Ice Road Trucker), but they do not fill the screen with annoying 20 something kids that all look like models whining about how hard their life is because they must use generic shampoo.

I *might* watch survivor if they took some spoiled white rich kids and dropped them into the crime ridden slum at midnight with only their fancy clothes and rolex watches.

16. I'll actually watch Idol until they weed out all the goof balls. Then it sucks.

17. Fremen

Fremen Allright, who stole my mustache?

I watch all of the ones in your first sentence, but I also watch American Idol, Dancing with the Stars, and America's Got talent.

What can I say? I can watch almost anything.

18. Derwood

Derwood Slightly Tilted

Survivor, Amazing Race, Project Runway

19. Seer666

Seer666 Getting Tilted

I tend to be on the hate side of reality TV. most the shows they make are just annoying and full of the worst examples of human beings, like Jersey Shore. I have found myself roped into watch the new VH1 Rock and Roll Fantasy Camp. My cousin is one of the contestants, so it's actually entertaining to watch him get ripped on for me, and the guy can play a mean guitar. I also have a fondness for the show Top Shot, but I think of that more as a game show then reality TV.

20. sapiens

sapiens Vertical

My wife watches a lot of reality tv - more than I can stand. She writes about media professionally. So, she has an excuse. I watched a few different shows during their first 1-2 seasons (Survivor, Project Runway). I don't watch much reality tv anymore. I liked The Amazing Race, but I don't enjoy it anymore. I have liked all of the The Amazing Race Asia seasons I have seen.