1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Manufacturing Jobs, Gone Forever

Discussion in 'Tilted Philosophy, Politics, and Economics' started by bobGandalf, Jan 9, 2012.

1. roachboy

roachboy Very Tilted

"deserve" has no place in a "free market" system? so ethical language has no place? that's funny. that'd mean that free-market ideology itself could not be argued, because, as i've said before, it is not an argument about the empirical world, but rather is a utilitarian argument about an ideal ordering of the empirical world that would justify itself by delivering the famous "greatest good for the greatest number"---so free market ideology is an ethical argument---just turns out that it can't justify itself by appeal to its results. so it's a failed ethical argument.

of course ethical claims have a place in socio-economic relations. they're the basis for any assessment of those relations. they're the basis for any and all politics of socio-economic relations.

so, ace, it's not that i don't understand your "argument". it's that your argument is preposterous.

2. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Well, his basic argument is that government should get out of the market's way, and that the market can self-regulate with the help of unions all the way to prosperity.

Is that so bad?

Children literally are the future.

3. Aceventura

Aceventura Slightly Tilted

In a competitive context two people or entities may "deserve" something, but only one will get it. Therefore "deserve" is of no significance.
    In a adversarial context two people or entities may "deserve" opposing outcomes or interests, but the outcomes/interests are in conflict, one side prevails. Therefor "deserve" is of no significance.

"deserve" is il defined, who determines what is deserved? Is it the same for all under all circumstances? If a person fails to prepare do they "deserve" to fail?

I am serious, I don't get it.

4. roachboy

roachboy Very Tilted

o and ace, dear, unfortunately for me i did read the nonsense that you wrote. i told you at the outset of this exchange that i am interested in talking about the history of neo-liberal "globalization" and not about versions of the kind of market metaphysics that function to rationalize it. my position hasn't changed. i pointed to a complex of actually existing pathways whereby the political consensus that confined capitalist organization to the nation-state broke down beginning in the 1970s with the transnationalization of stock trade. you respond with some banalities about the eternal conflict between firms, wage labor and the state. you then wave your hands in the direction of unionization and its history, but obviously have no grasp on that information, so revert to more metaphysics.

the narrative goes: once ownership was transnational, the *political consensus*----which was*not* a matter of law, but rather one of assumption, not even custom, that made of the nation-state the necessary horizon of capitalist organization in much of the manufacturing sector broke down. there had been multi-national forms of production prior to that--notably petroleum--that provided a kind of alternate abstract model---but the point is that once that customary framework broke down, the assumption that union representation was anything other than an impediment to accumulation went out the window. **that** lay behind the contemporary export of the worst features of capitalist exploitation, which are re-integrated into the metropole via supply pools. so tncs have no responsibility. every once in a while they send an "auditing team"----with ample warning of course. but this sort of thing is well-documented. it should be obvious.

computer production is fully integrated into the overall trans-national, supply-pool based just-in-time system of production. lowest possible wages uber alles.

the only way place in which i agree with you, ace, is when you characterize firms as blindly amoral entities. sociopathic, one might say. how on earth one can go from there to advocating "free market capitalism" is beyond me.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Aceventura

Is "deserve" a positive ethical term? If I "deserve" your property and steal it, is that ethical?

I just thought of OJ Simpson and his attempt to "steal" his "stolen" property, did he "deserve" jail time for his crimes? Did he "deserve" his stuff back since he was trying to hide it from the civil judgement?

6. Baraka_Guru

"Deserve" is basically doing something worthy of a reward. It's not difficult. What determines the level of reward is dictated by what is deemed fair. And as I posted above, fairness is determined both internally and externally.

If one does work of a particular type, to a particular degree, with a particular skill, with a particular outcome, one deserves a reward for that work.

Again, what is deemed a fair reward is determined both internally and externally.

We shouldn't get caught up on such simple concepts. Can we talk about the bigger picture again? Hint: We should be discussing fairness in the market, not the meaning of deserve.

7. Aceventura

Then why did you blatantly misstate what I wrote?

8. ngdawg

ngdawg Getting Tilted

You're wrong about jobs/overseas. They ARE being sent, not created. Revlon went from Edison, NJ to Columbia. Chrysler went from the US to Mexico (not overseas, but not HERE). Speak to anyone who worked in manufacturing for these large corporations and get the actual answers, not what you perceive them to be. Because it is a "Global Economy" doesn't mean we must emulate other countries. We should be striving to surpass them, not stooping to their levels.

And what did India change from? Abject poverty, mostly. And it really pisses me off when I have to call Verizon or BofA and get someone who a)can't understand what I am asking and b) can't speak clearly enough for me to understand. Meanwhile, I and 14 million others are sitting home waiting for an unemployment check...something is very wrong here.

You aren't "blue collar" are you? We are. Most of my friends are. Many Baby Boomers and their offspring are because technology was only for the real braniacs and visionaries (those we called "whackjobs" way back then). To suggest that someone just switch from providing products to providing services is, in way too many instances, unrealistic. Those of us in our 50's who have lost jobs have NO hope of getting hired. We worked hard for 40 years only to see everything get packed up and sent off to countries where a daily "salary" of $10 is considered wonderful. Skills with tools and machines make many of us dinosaurs. And now the US wants to make the purchase of foreign made materials for our military acceptable, putting even more people out of work.

Congress could make a few changes that, in theory, are really simple: Tax breaks to companies that hire and manufacture here and tax penalties for those who don't. But since those who don't (Nike, GE, etc.) line the pockets of lawmakers, I truly doubt anything even remotely resembling that scenario will ever happen.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Aceventura

Is being born something worthy of reward?
    Is getting 60% on a test, an F worthy of reward, after-all the person got 60% correct?

In nature a lion on the hunt for wildebeest. The hunt fails, does the lion "deserve" anything from the wildebeest?

Isn't the reward what they earned? The reward then is what was agreed to?

External is someone or something looking out for you as a market participant in those instances when fraud or crime has been committed? If that is true, I think I get it - but I think your view goes beyond fraud (lie, cheat, misrepresentation, etc.) or crime. If participants come to the market as equals (and that is the expectation) I see no need for "External" if participants act in good faith.

Isn't your perception of "fairness" based on what you think is "deserved"?

10. Baraka_Guru

This statement seems to run under the assumption that the market is remaining static; it's not. When companies go overseas with operations, it's often a forward-thinking move to expand capacity. They aren't universally closing capacity in the U.S. and opening it up in China to a 1:1 ratio. Far from it. Manufacturing capacity has not remained stagnant for the past 30 years. If you want to know what I mean by the numbers, I'm sure they're out there. Look at global manufacturing job growth globally since the '80s. Now have a look at where the most job growth was. Now compare that to the job growth in the U.S. There will be your answer.

As for not stooping, this is what I'm getting at: America has to look at growth opportunities that make sense for America. It shouldn't be looking at how to compete in manufacturing against the likes of China or in telephone business services against the likes of India. America shouldn't push too hard to compete where it has a severe strategic disadvantage. It doesn't make sense. It should instead use its resources as the wealthiest nation in the world to get its workforce retooled and retrained where possible. Some of this will be a different kind of manufacturing, some of it will be another kind of industry work related to new growth.

If anything is wrong, it's not adapting fast enough. Those Indians struggling with their English were possibly monolingual and functionally illiterate before they realized they had to a) learn to read, b) learn a foreign language they might not ever use in person, and c) train in company policies and practices for a technology they may have never seen before in their entire life. This is an extreme example, but it's entirely possible, especially at the advent of India's rampant growth in business telecommunications services. But when you're destitute and see an opportunity, I suppose you what you gotta do to earn a living.

I grew up in a blue-collar family. I myself am a white-collar worker, but I earn a blue-collar salary (though I'm certain many blue-collar workers earn quite a bit more than I do). I know what it's like to have to switch careers. I went from restaurant labour to retail to book editing. I paid dearly for it in both money and time. My mother went from clerical worker to nursing when she was in her 40s. (Nursing was and still is in high demand.) My brother went from restaurant cook to oil burner mechanic.

It's actually quite common to switch careers these days. I understand that baby boomers had it good and most were able to stick with one career (one job even!) their whole working life. But that's in the past. The way today's economy works requires adapting to rapid change. Even in my industry (which isn't as old as prostitution, but it's pretty damn old), we have had to adapt severely to disruptive technology. The "dinosaurs" in our industry are either changing or retiring. There is no standing still. The true dinosaurs can't adapt and so they die out. It's the unfortunate reality.

This would have some impact on smaller companies, but I doubt you could give the likes of Nike and other mega multinationals enough of a tax break (don't some of them pay no tax at all?) or penalty to convince them to switch to workers demanding $8-12/hr. vs. $3/day. The gap is too wide. To be influential enough would be to take drastic and rather expensive measures. In the worst-case scenarios, the companies leave and the government loses all tax revenue completely.

Like I said, it's a difficult thing to combat directly. I'm not sure of the small-business stats on jobs and foreign labour, but perhaps there is some leeway there.

Irrelevant.

Irrelevant.

Usually, but this is what I'm pointing out: it's more a question of fairness, not merely whether it's deserved.

The biggest external influences are usually government, the economy, social factors, and technology. What I'm referring to here with regards to child labour and other labour law concerns is government and social factors.

No, fairness is determined by both internal and external factors.

11. ngdawg

ngdawg Getting Tilted

I'm not alluding the the economy being static; I'm alluding to the fact that companies found they can up their profits and make their stockholders very happy by skipping town and taking the jobs with them. "They aren't universally closing capacity in the U.S. and opening it up in China to a 1:1 ratio" Nope. More like 1:0. A friend was offered one year in China courtesy of his employer-Boeing. Train them there, come home. The catch? No job when he got back.
    You missed the point entirely re: India. Corporations again went to cheap labor when in this country, 14 million people NEED a paycheck. And most of us already know the language needed in those teleservices.
    Switching jobs is not switching careers. Your first two were unskilled retail jobs (yes, restaurants are retail). What I'm saying is that all that made us enjoy what we have was designed by us, built by us for us and is no longer ours wholly. To say that someone can just up and switch directions is simply not true across the board. I did it at 50, but to do it now in this economy just is not doable. it's a double edged sword-the jobs that what were plentiful are now gone but the economy that is (partially) a result of that loss does not allow for viable changes.

12. Baraka_Guru

They didn't "skip town"; what they did was gradual and rather observable. This is a phenomenon that has been going on for years. And this isn't just a game of maximizing profits; it's a game of remaining competitive in a low-price environment. Do you know what happens to American manufacturers who make the same shit Chinese manufacturers make when they go to Wal-mart to sell their goods? They get laughed at. Wal-mart doesn't fuck around. They tell you how much they want to pay for product X and it better be shipped in time or the order will be cancelled. The same thing happens to a lesser degree across retailing. Sometimes the retailers are demanding, other times the consumers are.

Do you know why most DVD players are now under $100? A significant reason is due to places like China. Go ahead, I dare you to start up a DVD player manufacturing company in your hometown. I alluded to this in my last post, but what happens is called strategic or comparative advantage. In this case, it's when companies have such a production advantage over the competition that the competition must follow suit or suffer the consequences. For example, when Company A moves its capacity over to China and can now produce, package, and ship product X at half the average industry cost, that means it can produce twice as much for the same cost and profit accordingly. It also means it can reduce prices to put Company B and Company C out of business. What do Companies B and C do? Go out of business? Go to government with hat in hand? Go to China?

What I meant was that for every 1,000 jobs shipped to China doesn't mean only 1,000 jobs appear in China. Again, look at job growth. The manufacturing job shift from America to China didn't happen at a 1:1 ratio. Far from it.

But my point is that American workers can't compete directly with Indian workers because American workers need higher wages for similar work. Learning English was a matter of course, really. Thanks to cheaper and more sophisticated technology, the Indian job pool for global telephone business services exploded. What are American workers to do? Lobby the government to abolish minimum wage? Some Americans won't stoop to certain wages for certain job skills. They'd rather hold out for better paying work more worth their time. In other cases, it doesn't make sense to accept a low wage, due to transportation cost and childcare cost, etc. What else? Lobby the government to subsidize companies for these jobs? How much will that cost taxpayers?

When I was a dishwasher and prep cook going in for an interview as a retail sales representative, I couldn't very well tell them I was very good at washing dishes and chopping vegetables. Washing dishes and chopping vegetables doesn't really provide me with the skill base needed to interact with potential customers of cameras and photographic services. I had to convince them I had skills and knowledge that were related. Some of them I trained in college, while others I trained on my own.

My overall point is: What are you going to do? The government can't be expected to subsidize or penalize to compete directly with cheap overseas labour. The same jobs aren't likely coming back. However, the government can be expected to provide or help provide the services required to get the workforce education and training required to fill new jobs growth elsewhere.

13. roachboy

roachboy Very Tilted

if you want to see the early history of this process, look at bennett and bluestone's book the deindustrialization of america. this link:

http://www.d.umn.edu/~epeters5/Cst1201/Articles/Deindustrialization of America.pdf

takes you direct to a pdf from the first chapter of the book. it gives you an idea of the way the whole thing works and its time-frame. you can probably still find it in a library.

if the process was already arguably visible in the early 1980s and the academic/reactionary arguments for it were already in place, and if the consequences of it were already visible for the people affected (but not necessarily for the public that was not directly affected) how was consent manufactured for it? i mean, you'd think that there would have been Protests. but nary a peep. mostly because of the utilitarian claims made by all these markety market "experts" about how good this would all be for most people. except it wasn't and could not be. it was class warfare. the fate of working people was sheared off the main narrative. good stuff was a coming, they said. except it wasn't.

the walmart thing is a later development made possible by advances in supply-pool and other management softwares taken on by a corporation with very significant capital and expanded into a seamless, total cost-surveillance system. the same logic extends to the bogus labor practices for which they are well-known. and there's something more than passing strange about the way in which walmart---and the walmartization of retail---has managed to make of cheap goods a kind of decontextualized empirical fact, something not connected to exploitation transferred to new capitalist geographies.

fact is--and you can see it in the chapter above---in the eyes of capital for a long time now american working people have been expendable, obsolete. the remarkable thing is that so many of them have been mobilized around exactly the politics that justified fucking them over in the first place and then blaming them for it. maybe it's a kind of political stockholm syndrome.

14. Baraka_Guru

I should probably note in the thread that although I may come across as complacent or fatalistic regarding the situation, it's because I have a business admin/marketing educational background and I've studied how these things work. The main thrust of my posts were a reaction to the situation as is and my view of realistic outcomes. I mean, it would be fantastic to get manufacturing jobs back from Asia, but it just ain't happening.

Politically, I have a problem with much of what goes on both in North America and Asia. (No, Canada's manufacturing has not been spared.) The social democrat in me bristles at a government either too complacent or too indifferent to eroding real wages and rising cost of living amongst the working class.

I strongly support social assistance to workers who need further education and training to reenter the workforce, which I think is an unavoidable reality. Furthermore, the unemployed are naturally in a terrible position to pay for this kind of thing. I think corporate tax rates should be increased to pay for it if necessary.

I also support the funding of public transportation to make it accessible and affordable. Quality, affordable public transportation accessing essential areas helps with worker mobility. I also support universal health care, which helps the unemployed particularly who may otherwise have no insurance. It also allows for more job mobility (i.e., the insurance is government sourced, not company sourced).

I also strongly support human rights and would back any legislation banning the import of products or services that use unfair or exploitative labour practices. I also support fair trade with regard to sustainable production and workers rights in developing nations.

All said, I see the reality and know what we must do as an immediate response. But the bigger picture has much to do with what roachboy has posted in this thread with regard to the liberalization of economies, etc., and I think that should be a concern of government and the public.

15. ngdawg

ngdawg Getting Tilted

I can't read Roachboy's posts, they give me a headache. (wish I was kidding, but I'm not).
    Not sure how it works for other states, but in New Jersey, if you are on Unemployment, you can sign up for free for classes at your local community college as long as they are job-related and have seats available. In North Carolina, you can get retraining at a trade school or college on the state's dime( I don't think that means going for a degree, though).

• Like Like x 2
  16. bobGandalf

bobGandalf Vertical

My OP has two sources. The first one is from NPR.

During the course of a year Foxconn had double digit suicides at their plant. The workers would go to the roof and jump off. They addressed the problem.....they built a fence on the roof.

17. pan6467

pan6467 a triangle in a circular world.

In the 80's we saw it coming, I remember the press was saying the US was turning more into a service jobs country than manufacturing. Our government did NADA, to prevent factories moving overseas, they raised student loans (big fucking deal, when the universities increased tuition and predatory credit cards became the norm), they cut the rest of educational aid to states, lowering our competitiveness in a changing world, we lowered our standard of living compared to the world going from #1 to the low teens and we keep falling, our infrastructure is falling apart but we can't raise taxes on the fucking rich because then they'd stop investing in the jobs they fucking ship overseas. We see an extreme schism in wealth and a shrinking middle class, we have bought and paid for GOP mouthpieces telling everyone they pay too much in taxes and that we need less government, we have asshats on the left bought and paid for by the same people and they refuse (for fear of losing their cushy ELECTED jobs and healthcare) to truly do anything. We have a president that is as dumb and is as honorable as a box of rocks and the GOP candidate most likely to be is someone who states he loves to fire people and made a fortune buying companies, laying off workers and shipping jobs overseas so he could make more.

In the 80's when we saw healthcare spinning out of control good old Ronnie boy deregulated and cut FDA spending so now we have meds that are killing people and a healthcare industry where prices are killing us, people talk about it but the ELECTED officials don't do shit to get it under control, so SS/Medicaid have to pay more, the people have to pay more and there goes the money for education and retraining the workforce and the money for SBA loans to start up and hire people. There goes the elderly raises in their SS paychecks, there goes money to rebuild the water systems, bridges and roads in our infrastructure. We have a president that won't end a God forsaken war we have no right to be fighting in, but he'll keep Bush's tax cuts alive for political reasons.

However, historically when jobs move into different sectors in the US, we have had strong leadership and people willing to invest in areas to make the switch over easier. Case in point, in the early 1900's we went from an agriculture nation to a manufacturing nation, causing an economic upheaval. We went from habadasheries and tailors and toy makers to mass marketed baseball caps, off the rack suits and conglomerate that just happened to own a toy company (i.e. Proctor and Gamble owning Parker Brothers).

The HUGE difference today is we have allowed monopolies to spring up and there is no incentive (nor market) for a new Microsoft, a new Apple, a new car company to start up. The government can't invest in the people because again that would require raising taxes on those BILLIONAIRES shipping jobs overseas and exploiting child and slave labor.

So what do we do, we turn on each other and spew out hatred and anger at our politicians and our neighbors because we don't like what they have to say or what they do. Is that constructive in ANY WAY? Hell no not for the people losing jobs and their houses and their dreams. We listen to the BS and pure hatred from multimillionaire talking heads that live in gated communities tell us how if we raise taxes on billionaires by a single digit we will lose more jobs and YOU will be paying more in taxes (which when people see taxes coming out every week or biweekly, it does seem a bit much) BUT most people get tax refunds and still complain about how much they pay, and the roads and education and healthcare and politicians and jobs sent overseas and on and on and on.....

What IS the answer? Raise tariffs on imports, put in punitive taxes to companies shipping jobs overseas to help with re-education and training while increasing tax incentives to companies that keep jobs here, socialize medicine to where government controls the prices of meds and services, get a handle on state funded college tuitions, end the war, bring our troops home and stop war profiteering, cut military spending to private companies that overcharge and sell our technology to the countries they ship our jobs to. Erase the Bush tax cuts, cut government waste, invest in the people and see what happens.