1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Discussion in 'Tilted Entertainment' started by Baraka_Guru, Sep 24, 2013.

1. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3T-evQZiQo

Anyone else checking this out tonight?

Sure, it's not the Avengers. Sure, it's not superhero-heavy. Sure, it's TV and not film.

But I think it's a refreshing change.

There isn't a focus on nearly infallible superheroes. I'm kind of interested to see these stories of what happens behind the scenes for a change. I'm curious to see if this series about the grunts in the field at S.H.I.E.L.D. is any good.

Some of the right folks are behind this, including Joss Whedon and Clark Gregg, who reprises his role as Agent Coulson.

I suppose it's not for everyone, but if you're a superhero/comics fan, here is something a little different.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Fremen

Fremen Allright, who stole my mustache?

I'll be dvr'ing it.

3. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

It's a police procedural set in the Marvel Universe. It's a Marvel property where the superheroes aren't the stars. And since it's part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe it can also tie into/cross over with the films.

I'm definitely going to be watching tonight. I hope it's good, but either way it's going to be something different.

• Like Like x 2
  4. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

I have been looking at the ads, not sure if I will watch it first run or wait until it hits Hulu. Looks a bit violent for my taste these days.

5. martian

Not the strongest start. I'll watch for a few episodes at least, see if things pick up. I like the characters and I'm curious to see how they develop the premise.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

It was a decent pilot, but I got the feeling that it was a bit awkward fitting a big-screen Marvel property into a small-screen format. It seemed like they were trying to cram too much into that first episode, and it came out as abrupt and choppy in places. I think if we give it time to unfold over a few episodes and get into the groove of things, it'll win us over.

There is certainly something there. We'll have to wait and see.

Otherwise, it seems this was something highly anticipated:
    'Agents of SHIELD' ratings a Hulk smash | Inside TV | EW.com

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
  7. Fremen

Fremen Allright, who stole my mustache?

First and second episodes were pretty good. The little stun stick that Ward used in the jungle looked awesome.
    Not sure the physics with the raft would've worked, but okay I'll accept it within a superhero universe.
    But not a scratch on Lola?? Unacceptable! ;)

I'm liking it so far, and I like the little surprises at the endings.
    Hopefully the Rising Tide subplot isn't a crappy one.

Hope they don't blow their cgi budget.

8. martian

It occurred to me that the thing with the raft seemed a bit implausible. But I'll take it.

The cameo was fun. You could tell he had fun doing it, too. I have a feeling he's going to pop up again from time to time.

9. AlterMoose

AlterMoose Slightly Tilted

Don't touch Lola.

I took issue with the raft. But I've never been in a plane with a hole blown in the side, so I don't know what kind of air pressures they were up against; and I've never been in a survival raft, so I don't know how sturdy those inflatable sides are. It might have been entirely plausible.

I was immensely tickled at the cameos in both the pilot and second episodes.

Overall, I'm enjoying it greatly, and it has become part of our weekly viewing rotation.

Any guesses on what went down "in Tahiti"?

10. Knight Templar

Knight Templar Holy Warrior

I like it so far, can't really tell how it is by only 2 episodes
    ( hope it lasts longer than Zero Hour ! ).

11. martian

The popular theory around the internet (yeah, already) is that Coulson died when Loki stabbed him and the one we're seeing now is a life model decoy (a sort of android clone). Personally I think this is Coulson Classic but that something went down to raise him from the dead; "Tahiti" is wherever he was in between, some sort of afterlife or limbo. The way they keep referring to Tahiti as "a magical place" seems to point in that direction to me.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Daniel_

Daniel_ The devil made me do it...

saw Ep1, liked it enough to DVR the rest. I've not seen the "raft" scene, but from a physics point of view, once the plane has equalised pressure (which won't take long) there's no air to go anywhere, and a piece of carpet would bung up the hole, let alone a pneumatic raft!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

I am now caught up on this series and think the latest episode, a crossover with the latest Thor film, was excellent.

I am hoping this is a sign of good things to come.

14. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

Yep, they're getting more and more into supers...bit by bit.

And the team-members are also starting to get...little things that happen to them physically...which might make the "enhanced"

I know they don't want to go away from the normal "human" dealing with abnormal aspect too much,
    but it still would be interesting.

I've always wanted to be a super.
    I've got something...but it's not the most consistent thing in the world. If only it were consistent.
    But as with all the comics, there'd be unintended consequences.
    People using me, govts using me, conflicts, competitions, jealously, wanna-bes, people not understanding...

15. SuburbanZombie

SuburbanZombie Housebroken

I've given up on this series. Everything about it is horrible, script, editing, acting, stories. Nothing redeemable about it this season. It makes other procedurals like Criminal Minds or NCIS look Shakespearian.

16. rogue49

hmm...perhaps we should update the title of this thread??

However, cue *evil chuckle* here...
    I think I've figured out the reason for the "maps".

This may be a serious spoiler, of current episodes and potential future ones and movies...you've been warned. :eek:

I don't think it's aliens...nor "mythological" magic/tech like Thor's Asgard.
    They keep using the phrase, "It's a magical place"
    Colson used it...now another noted it.
    And it hit me when I saw the title of the painting from the dead SHIELD artist.

It's literal...Magical.
    Magick.
    They're about to introduce the concept of magic into the Marvel movie/TV world...the world of Dr. Strange. :D
    Which they're making a movie of now. (yay!!:cool: )

It's actually a map of mystical planes...nothing that would likely be on the Internet or most science-based knowledge bases. (so Sky can't work her tech "magic" here)

And even further, I think that Sky is really Clea,
    daughter of Dormammu...and lover of Dr. Strange.

And it would explain why Sky's father is not afraid of being double-crossed by the Hydra commander.
    He's FULLY in control. (although, likely banished from his home plane...needing Clea to bridge the gap)
    He's one POWERFUL motherfucker.

The actress that plays Sky...is about to get a whole lot richer. (and a new hair color) ;)

If I'm right...just give me a little fist bump for cred.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
  17. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

Sorry dude but it looks like with last nights episode you're wrong.

The symbols everyone who were part of the Tahiti project have been carving turned out to be a city.
    Probably the home of The Inhumans, Attilan, which is either on the moon or in the Hudson river depending on if's the old or new.
    This is how Marvel is going to get around not getting to use mutants in their story lines (since Fox owns those).
    Which means Sky is either an Inhuman or ...
    Their are suggestions that she is the daughter of Mr. Hyde. Mister Hyde - Marvel Universe Wiki: The definitive online source for Marvel super hero bios.
    Which would make her Daisy Johnson. Johnson, Daisy - Marvel Universe Wiki: The definitive online source for Marvel super hero bios. {spoiler]

18. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

I am loving this show. Consistently well written, well directed, and well acted. Generous with comic book Easter eggs and hints of future goodies.

The story arc has been terrific. Even better this season than last, typical for a Whedon project. Can't wait to see some more powers show up....

19. rogue49

Not yet sir, just because it's 3D doesn't mean I'm off. They have those in other "locations" too, y'know. ;)
    Marvel tries to wrap the TV and Movies together...I haven't heard of the one you suggested...I have heard of the one I noted. (IH vs. DS?? I bet the latter)
    That...and it makes more sense...remember the "catch phrase" that went with it.
    I guarantee you that means something...

20. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

Marvel Studios Ready To Move Forward With ‘Inhumans’

Last edited: Nov 14, 2014