1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Discussion in 'Tilted Entertainment' started by Baraka_Guru, Sep 24, 2013.

1. Fremen

Fremen Allright, who stole my mustache?

2. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

My vote is Inhumans for all the reasons stated.

3. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

Yeah, don't know why it did that.
    Took the spoiler tag off because it was being weird.

4. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

Yes, but the same article notes that they already have a director for Dr. Strange and have started casting. (including rumors of Benedict Cumberbatch as the Dr. in other articles, but not signed yet)
    So, we'll see who's right.
    Or if we're both wrong...

I tell you what, if you're right...I'll come up to AK and buy you a cold one. :)

5. rogue49

Well, Mr. @redravin ...looks like our debate continues with more proof both ways.
    Full Marvel Movie Release Calendar :cool:

From what this says, DS is being released two years before the IH
    BUT, it distinctly hints at AOS used for IH easter eggs.

I still say the "magical" ref is a hint.
    But it could go both ways.

Either way, I'd be happy...but I'd be more happy for the DS world. It's just a bit weirder...and Hollywood hasn't gotten fantasy right yet. I'd like to see if Marvel does it right and better than the others.

6. rogue49

Perhaps we need a whole Marvel thread...
    But this is following our previous discussion with connections to SHIELD

Benedict Cumberbatch Officially Joins Marvel’s ‘Doctor Strange’

Looks like things are moving forward at a rapid pace.
    The one nice thing about the "world" of Dr. Strange...is that his magic mechanics are not based off of any religion's background or any classic mythology (vamp, ghosts, etc) ...the things magic is often referred to in other stories.
    So the magic mechanics and power structure are totally open (except for the classic DS refs which the comic fan-boys will expect - like the "Winds of Watoomb" or his cape and amulet and such... :cool:)
    This gives Hollywood a lot of leeway...without conflicting with "sensitive" sponsors or watchers.
    And to be quite honest the DS goings-on doesn't often interact with the rest of the Marvel universe (like Guardians or Shield or Avengers)

So there may be a minimal "tie-in" with SHIELD, but don't expect it to be ref'd like the Avengers or Iron Man does.
    I believe the same goes for Inhumans...they don't involve themselves much with Earth.

Besides, it may be something completely different.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2014
  7. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

Cumberbatch as Strange is going to be fucking sweet! I've been waiting for Marvel to start dealing with magic in their movies/TV. It's about time, and they couldn't be making more promising moves toward doing it in fine style.

8. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 Very Tilted

I'm having the opposite response. I've never seen Cucumberbundle do well in a role that requires weight and gravitas, I can't understand what people like about him so much.

9. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

I saw this show just hit Netflix streaming. I haven't seen any of this show at all and have no clue how it compares to the big budget films (some of which I haven't seen either or didn't care for), but....I am might watch this pilot episode to see of it is better than the overall weak or worse films. And yes, I am admittedly very likely not in the target audience for most of these comic book films as I find even the "good ones" not involving Spiderman or Superman not worth watching without Rifftrax.

10. redravin

I do want to warn you that the first part of the season starts out a bit slow.
    They are so setting up the kill, the last four episodes are so good and this season is amazing.
    Part of it was they were waiting for the 2nd Captain America movie and I really think there was an intentional effort to set us up with certain expectations of certain characters so they could totally turn them inside out.

11. Speed_Gibson

this reminds me...
    That first Captain America film was decent, never have seen the second one. The Avenger film was "blah" at best and gave me no reason to watch the sequel (just one so far right?)
    Thor was just bad even with the Rifftrax audio track, and the sequel looks worse. The Hulk movies are not worth commenting on.
    If this show puts the focus on "minor characters" that have better stories and development then my interest is piqued to some extent at least.

12. Levite

I honestly have no clue what movies you saw. The movies I saw were awesome, except for the Edward Norton Hulk movie, and that was at least fun. (I actually loved the Ang Lee Hulk movie, but it's clearly not meant to be incorporated into the Marvel movie canon).

• Like Like x 1
  13. redravin

If you're not a big fan of comic book movies than you might not enjoy the show.
    It is the story of the minor characters in the universe and how they have to work around all the big things that are going on, so names are dropped, characters from the movies do cameos, and plot lines from the movies effect the show (you don't have to see the movie to know what's going on but it helps).

And to be honest, I really have to agree with Levite, except for the Ang Lee Hulk, that made me nuts.

14. Speed_Gibson

I prefer the Lou Ferrigno hulk where they just had him in bodypaint compared to using him as the base model/motion capture for the large CGI creature......but I do realise the comic books are all about the larger than life aspects (especially with the Hulk) and they needed to amp up the creature with the budget and tech they had available to show that. Bill Bixby was the best Bruce Banner by far.
    I actually still prefer the late 70's Spiderman films overall to the recent very good Andrew Garfield film (or is it films now?). They obviously had far better effects to work with but the earlier films captured the classic comic book better. The Toby Macguire films rank down there with the Star Wars prequels and I will refrain from making further comments on those. Organic webshooters was the least of the problems those had.

15. Levite

Yeah, I know I'm totally in the minority with that. Normally, I'm a purist, and I would be the first guy in line going, "That's not how it's supposed to work from the comic!" This was a huge exception for me.

People really wanted a good old fashioned "Hulk smash!" movie, and instead they got a lyrical, man vs. nature meditation on anger as the inevitable and primal byproduct of life in a broken world. It pissed most people off (ironically), and a lot of others were just disappointed and disdainful. I was pleasantly surprised. I thought it was brilliantly directed, superbly acted, and nicely written.

But I know, that makes me and like ten or twelve other guys in the world....

• Like Like x 2
  16. Speed_Gibson

The pilot episode was excellent. I am guessing the New Mexico reference was to the painfully bad Thor Film and I have no clue what Project Pegasus is without looking it up.
    The Back to the Future car at the end was a good move, and definitely a better candidate than a Delorean.

17. Speed_Gibson

Episode 2 kept the pace nicely. Good mix of the comic book/action film feel. That cameo at the end was perfect and that reveal with the encrypted message was a good teaser.
    --- merged: Dec 8, 2014 at 8:43 PM ---
    Personally I think this is better than the films. Getting away from the "big names" and giving the viewer a story worth watching (what all of the recent films in this universe I have seen are missing) really helps.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  18. redravin

Some comments on the midseason finale.

Well, it looks like the the midseason finale has proved a few things.
    They still won't say the word Inhumans but we clearly have the Terrigen crystals and Mists transforming Skye and Raina.
    And killing Tripp, which made me really sad.
    This also confirms the identity of Skye and her dad as Dr. Calvin Zorbo aka Mr. Hyde and Daisy Johnson (I have no idea where the Johnson comes from) aka Quake.
    I was a big fan of the way Skye just shot Ward the minute she had a gun.
    And Patton Oswalt messing with people about having to be recharged, tell the truth and nobody will believe you right.

I am also really looking forward to Agent Carter.
    Period shows with strong female leads are a favorite of mine.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Levite

*Dr. Calvin Zabo, aka Mr. Hyde.
    Looking forward to see how Skye/Daisy's powers develop. And who else will be exposed to the Terrigen Mists....

20. redravin

Is anybody watching Agent Carter?
    It's the show they have filling the spot where SHIELD is and it follows one of the founders of SHIELD.
    Agent Carter will be working with Iron Mans dad and The Howling Commandos.

I have to say I really enjoyed Agent Carter.
    It's about time there was a show with a kick ass female lead who can use whatever is at hand to take down the bad guys. (Loved the use of the stove grill in the knife fight.
    I'm a sucker for period pieces and the little touches like the Captain America radio show was great.
    As a supporting character Jarvis does well as both a side kick and comedy relief.

• Like Like x 1