1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Medical condition revealed by Lord's Prayer...

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Lindy, Nov 6, 2015.

1. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

I've posted before about my late ex-husband being an alcoholic and how helpful I found AA and its Alanon offshoot to be. I still go to Alanon occasionally because it helps me remain sane, and not get too full of myself.

Most of the local groups here will close out the meeting by having everyone who cares to join hands, recite the Lord's Prayer, and followed by saying "Keep coming back, it works!" It's a tradition.

After the meeting a couple of days ago the woman holding my hand (a nurse) asked if my heart did that often. I said "Does what often?" She said that she could feel a wild fluctuation in my heart beat, which then returned to normal, that was not good, and I really should get it checked out. And right away, it could be serious.

Well, yes, I had noticed the variations, but it doesn't happen very often, and the beat always returned to normal in a few seconds, and I guess it just never occured at the doctor's office, and I never mentioned it to her. My heart rate, blood pressure, oxygen content, etc. all right where they should be. So I called this afternoon and I go in tomorrow morning to get my heart rhythm checked.

I got arrhythm, who could ask for anything more?:rolleyes: Of course, it probably won't do it at the office, but I am getting it checked out.

Does anyone here have heart rhythm problems, and if so, what did you do about it?

• Like Like x 1
  2. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

Eek, good luck to you. No help here, but here's hoping it shows up for the docs.

3. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32j8M5G1f8o

I have mild aortic regurgitation. It was discovered after I had a series of heart tests (ECG, echocardiogram, ultrasound, stress test) when I was experiencing stress-related chest pains.

Definitely talk to your doctor. Tell her the conditions under which you normally experience any abnormalities. She may be able to pick something up on a stethoscope, but more detailed heart rhythm testing may be warranted, especially if the issue is intermittent. If you're concerned, maybe bring up the possibility of wearing a holter monitor for a while so that it will pick it up when it does happen.

Most people experience heart arrhythmias every now and then, so it might not be a problem at all in your case. I experience them occasionally, but it's normally triggered by my coffee intake and/or stress.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2015
  4. SirLance

SirLance Death Therapist

What kind of arrhythmia? Do you know?

Some just feel dangerous but aren't. A-Fib is a good example, it feels like you're dying but it's not dangerous in and of itself (although there's an increased risk of stroke).

Depending upon the type, there might be therapies available to you. For example ECS works with some forms of A-Fib. Do you know if you ever had a mitral-valve prolapse? Most people who suffer from a-fib had one.

I have a right bundle branch block, and my wife and FIL have a-fib. It seems scary at first, but you do have options.

If you haven't gone to the doc yet, you should. What he'll do is refer you to a cardiologist. In all likelihood, that person will order a variety of tests, stress test (nuclear), carotid ultrasound (to check for blockage), echocardiogram (to check for defects), blood work including a lipid panel, etc. These should permit a diagnosis, which may (if necessary) lead to a treatment plan. Some arrhythmia are not treatable and some don't need to be, just monitored.

Please let us know how it all works out for you.

Maybe Taneytown will take you to his cigar club in one of his fabulous sweaters and tell you all about his service in 'nam and his time at kent state....(sorry, couldn't resist and wanted to make you laugh, because that actually really does help. If I didn't I could make a funny face or something...).

5. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

As mentioned, arrhythmia isn't terribly rare, but definitely needs followed up on. I hope that yours is easily treatable and not serious.

6. Taneytown

Taneytown Guest

Hope all is well and I'll be sending good thoughts your way.

7. Take good care of our Lindy!

8. Lindy

It's kind of funny, I've never noticed it under exertion, stress, or exercise. Also not lying down. It always seems to happen when just sitting or standing quietly.

You were right about the Holter monitor. She sent me home with a Holter monitor to wear until Monday when I go back to her. Three electrodes attached to itchy-scratchy adhesive gel-tabs. One on my chest upper left, one under each boob. Just do normal activities for the diagnostic.

I asked if I could get a copy of the tracing. I want to see what my heart does with Sunday morning sex.:)

holter-1.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  9. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

Dirty minds think alike. I was also wondering what one those monitors would register during sex.

• Like Like x 1
  10. angela_c_82

angela_c_82 Vertical

Lindy only from my many health experiences best advice I could give you is to stay on top of things re: results, tests, or any questions you may have. Become your own leader in your health, ask anything and everything! Hope you are well and take care! :)

• Like Like x 4
  11. SirLance

SirLance Death Therapist

This inspired me to have Sunday morning sex. It was awesome. And, yes, my heart did race a bit...

Any update? Did the holter show anything?

• Like Like x 1
  12. Lindy

The monitor showed two episodes, Friday evening and sunday evening. Both of short duration, about half a dozen extra beats. There don't't appear to be any murmur or valve problems. I had low levels of potassium and magnesium in my blood panel, which, I 'm told, can trigger arrhythmia. I've been asked to log whenever I notice arrhythmia, let her know if frequency increases, but just to watch for now, no treatment, except to take OTC magnesium and potassium supplements.

Sunday AM sex is part of our regular routine. We're both rested, usually shower Saturday night before bed, and Sig almost always has a morning stiffy, which I, uh, enhance by providing manual and oral encouragement. We had a good go of it yesterday. I even managed a little cowgirl even while having my chest wired up and wearing a kimono with that heavy box bouncing in the side pocket. Titty fucking would have been dangerous.:rolleyes: It ended up being mostly you do me, I'll do you oral. Which was fine, we both enjoy being "serviced."

My skin was quite sensitive to the adhesive disks. I was red and raw where they were attached to my skin.

• Like Like x 1
  13. SirLance

SirLance Death Therapist

Hey, sex is good for you. And the potassium & magnesium supplements can't hurt!

It sounds like you have intermittent tachycardia. I have that and it's pretty upsetting until you realize what's going on. My wife has a-fib, and takes supplements and when she forgets or needs to adjust dosage, her arrhythmia acts up. It's not dangerous but it makes her really uncomfortable.

• Like Like x 1
  14. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

Good you are following up.