1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Meditation

Discussion in 'Tilted Life and Sexuality' started by ZombieSquirrel, Jul 31, 2011.

1. I find meditation to be very rewarding. It gives me time to relax and reflect.

I will take 20 minutes and just focus on my breathing. Yes, thoughts enter my head, but when I do it, the thoughts are never of negative things or to-do lists. I feel refreshed. It's hard for me to find time when it isn't noisy or distracting, so I'll take a walk and focus on my footsteps. This really helps when I'm feeling fidgety.

I know people that recite a mantra over and over while they are meditating. While in rhythm with my breathing I just say "In with the good. Out with the bad." It may be cheesy, but it works for me and really helps me to pay attention to my breathing.

Normally negative thoughts may enter my brain like, "Man Eden is weird." This was not the case today. I actually had positive thoughts about him and how happy he makes my dear friend. See! Meditation is great!

Do you meditate? What do you do? Do you repeat a mantra or just focus on your breathing. What do you get out of it?

2. amonkie

amonkie Very Tilted

When I first started using meditation, I was introduced via Indian Sanskrit chants and a Tibetan Buddhist mantra.

The one that has really stuck for me is the mantra of Om Mani Padme Hung

For the historical base of the mantra and a rough translation, here's some information : http://www.dharma-haven.org/tibetan/meaning-of-om-mani-padme-hung.htm

For me finding this in a chant form is what really gets to me to a space of mental clarity. I've found myself putting it on repeat and actually losing track of time. I'd kind of snap out of it after about an hour or so, and for a mind like mine that never shuts off, that was a very unusual feeling to have.

3. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

I like to make time to just sit and think. It starts out with a busy mind and by the end of my 20 minutes, I about as close as I can get to drifting (which sometimes isn't all that far from how I started out).

4. Zen

Zen Very Tilted

Going through the five-element styles of the Short and Long Forms of Tai Chi used to be my bread and butter. Concentrated focus with post hypnotics to generalize them into daily movement. My daily movements now 'are' the ritual with which I 'center' myself. My 'inner game' began with Jungian Active imagination and symbolic analysis - special reference to Kabalistic paths, with a view to re-applying their effect on my daily life. The Da Silva Method was a great way of reversing the direction to build from daily life to symbols. Around 1980, I substituted Jungian Archetypes etc, with sensory based patterns which later, in the States, were formalized into NLP, then later, in Scotland, the technologies which replaced NLP. They are like inner versions of Short and Long forms ... representational sequences which develop processes which resource everyday life, and which evolve according to feedback from their effects on everyday life. Inner silence and stillness is one of them. I have a personal proclivity for overtone chanting. At present I am installing Anglican Symbology to link back to my Kabalistic origins, which sadly, these days, have a dearth of ritual fellowship. Kabalistic and Anglican rituals, when done right, are a western Tai Chi.

What do I get out of it? A sense of living on the threshold of 'tripping without acid', closer access to my and others' creativity, the choice to close it down when it's not needed in a particular context, and some magnificent friends and colleagues. And lots more besides, but which I can't put into words.

5. Lordeden

Lordeden Part of the Problem

I can't stop my mind from wandering or stop thinking of todo lists. I've tried to do this and failed so many times.

I really want to be able to meditate, but I don't know how to shut my brain off.

6. Devoid

Devoid New Member

As somebody with ADD, meditation is just about the only way I can truly relax and slow my mind to a comfortable speed. Sometimes it's a real struggle to keep stray thoughts from passing through my mind's eye, but when that happens, I just kind of reset, reattempt, and it usually helps. Sometimes I can't keep it up for more than 5-10 minutes, but just reaching a point where the internal chatter is calmed feels like an amazing accomplishment and can keep me in a relaxed state for days. I haven't done it in a while and don't really have any set mantras, but I tend to focus on envisioning myself and my surroundings, then slowly zoom out until I have the entire planet in the picture. It gives me a satisfying sense of being connected, which doesn't normally happen in my everyday life. :)

7. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

There are techniques for bringing your mind back to the present if you haven't tried them. A traditional tool is the gong, which has a loud splash of sound at the beginning and then it rings for several seconds before dying out. Each time you find yourself wandering away from concentrating on the sound (which in itself is rather devoid of meaning if you view it as merely sound), you ring it again. I'm not aware of any modern tools that replicate this, but I wouldn't be surprised if they exist.

A more practical and probably equally traditional technique is breath counting, where you get yourself into a comfortable deep breathing pattern and then count 1 through 10 with each inhale/exhale. If you stumble and find yourself thinking of other things, you stop and start at 1 again. This too keeps bringing your mind back to the present.

Both of these are ways to snap away from wandering thoughts of the past, present, and future and bring yourself back to a more empty present, whether it's with noise or numbers.

There's a good chance you've already tried the counting. But if you want to sit down once more to try meditation, it's probably a good place to start again.

It takes a lot of discipline. I can be the same way, so I know the challenge this presents.

8. Redlemon

Redlemon Getting Tilted

Thanks for reminding me. I haven't meditated in a long time, but I love the calm that it brings over me.

9. sillygirl New Member

The only way I can get my mind to really shut up is by counting my breaths. The easiest way for me to do it is by running. My knees are whacked right now so I haven't done that in a while, but the other day I was stressed enough that counting them was the only thing I *could* do, and I ended up falling asleep. And it was grand.

I have also found that when I exercise I usually drift off into space. It starts as focusing on whatever motion I'm in (usually yoga or pilates), and ends in me in LaLa Land. :D