1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Men and feminism

Discussion in 'Tilted Life and Sexuality' started by Shadowex3, Jan 10, 2015.

1. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

And I repeat my previous observation that between the right wing media, politicians with an ax to grind, a very small number of radical feminists and Hollywood's obnoxious habit of stereotyping any movement that comes along to it's absolute extreme, the word feminism was turned into a curse word.
    Which is why many people who want the very goals that feminism have called for are loath to use the name.

It's much like the people will agree with every part of the A.C.A. but will say the bill itself needs to be repealed.
    They've been told over and over the name is bad.
    The things in it are fine with them but the oh man that word is evil.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  2. Bodkin van Horn

Bodkin van Horn One of the Four Horsewomyn of the Fempocalypse

Over 1 out of every 5 Americans are feminists. I have a hard time believing that 1 out of 5 Americans hate men with the passion that some people ascribe to feminists.

3. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

You don't have to self-identify as a feminist to be a feminist.

If you support the advocacy of women’s rights on the basis that the sexes deserve equal rights, you are, by definition, a feminist.

Sure, it's a word that now carries a lot of negative connotations, but this doesn't change the core meaning of the word.

For example, if I support the separation of church and state, that makes me a secularist whether or not I label myself as one. I'm imagining a devoted Christian who believes that church and state should be separate but doesn't want to be called a secularist because that sounds irreligious.

As far as feminism is concerned, if you are "against feminism," you are basically saying you don't think women deserve equal rights.

In other words, I think most people who say they are against feminism or who say they don't support feminism or who say they aren't feminists are generally only thinking about certain aspects of feminism rather than the core point.

Yes, there are feminist idiots out there, but what's the point in only considering the worst of feminism? The problem today is that the worst of everything is sensationalized (and worsened) by social media. Despite our advances in communication technology, we're breeding a shit-ton of ignorance.

Whoever said the Internet was an experiment in anarchy (or whatever) was kind of right.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
    • Like Like x 3
  4. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage