1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Men and feminism

Discussion in 'Tilted Life and Sexuality' started by Shadowex3, Jan 10, 2015.

1. Bodkin van Horn

Bodkin van Horn One of the Four Horsewomyn of the Fempocalypse

Feminism is whatever a vanishing minority of feminist bloggers say it is.

• Like Like x 1
  2. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

I'll skip pounding my head on the wall for a while and present a little history.
    This might have a little effect on the whole racism in early feminism picture that painted though.

One of my grandfathers heroes was a woman named Lucy Parsons.
    Amazing woman who was involved with just about every major event of the labor movement from the May uprising to Haymarket.
    She helped change the course of feminism when many members grew upset that black men were given the right to vote and not woman.
    Since taverns and bars were often common meeting places for the men, while one of the driving forces within the suffrage movement was the temperance league there was another major issue that made it easy to let the common racist stereotypes prevail.
    Lucy Parsons fought back, doing talks all over the country and even going to England where she was able to get Parliament to pass anti-lynching legislation.
    She was an anarchist, an activist, IWW, a journalist, and a feminist.

Lucy Parsons: Woman of Will | Industrial Workers of the World

3. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Feminists are like the Marxists of gender politics. They seek to destroy the system that constantly benefits them disproportionately, and they do this based on erroneous views of that system. Where Marxists need to get a job, feminists need to be more like men.

4. redravin

Edmund Burke's old saw of "Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." is never so true as it is with feminism.

Splintering and infighting, letting men set the standards and debate, have been a problem from the very beginning.
    The only thing that has kept it going is that it isn't a monolith, those can be undermined and toppled.
    The basic principle of equality keeps surviving even the worst efforts to tear it down because after all, you kill an idea.

5. Baraka_Guru

One of the biggest problems regarding feminism is that it's been mansplained into some abomination.

• Like Like x 2
  6. OtherSyde

OtherSyde Slightly Tilted

Agreed.

So you hate the bad parts of Feminism that cause harm. If I remember correctly, I've seen that big color-code chart you posted before (I think it might have been linked on WeHuntedTheMammoth) - IIRC it was made by an MRA or something similar. Do you align yourself with any specific movement like MGTOW's, MRA's etc.?

Also, since Third-Wave Feminism started a long time ago (about 25 years ago in the very early 90's) and was - from what I've read - much less insane and malignant than modern Feminism, what would you call this bastardized modern Feminism that you hate? Fourth-Wave Feminism? NeoFeminism?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
  7. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 Very Tilted

Well I'll be darned... you really can't see something as separate from whatever PR tagline it's using as a smokescreen even when it's a group you oppose. You're just as incapable of seeing that the GOP is in no way representing the values of "free market capitalism" and "small government" they use as a cover story as you are incapable of seeing that feminism is in no way representative of their cover story of "gender equality".

I picked it up off some random blogpost pointing out how common those shaming tactics were, I've got no idea where it originated and going by the bit rot in the image I'm pretty far down the line getting it. As far as Third-Wave/Fourth-Wave/Whatever-Wave goes I never get into that in the first place because it's a trap. No matter what you say the response will come back "You said X wave, it's actually Y wave, your argument is invalid". The only winning move is not to play that game in the first place and undermine the entire trick.

I call myself an egalitarian because I deal with issues from across the board whereas the MRM explicitly rejects the kind of mission creep and bloat that's been part of what corrupted Feminism. I'll work with the MRM when I'm dealing with men's issues, just as I would work with Feminists when dealing with women's issues if feminism wasn't batshit insane.

Also Manboobz (original name of WeHuntedTheMammoth) deserves some special mention... Futrelle's basically a pathological liar who will say or do anything to attack anyone he remotely considers an "MRA", and has no problem making things up when he can't find anything. He's actually gone so far as to take someone saying "Posts like <quoted post> will get you banned instantly" and try to claim that the person doing the quoting was themselves saying the offending material, short of making up things from whole cloth you don't get more dishonest.

I think I'll quote Amy Alkon on this one:

8. Bodkin van Horn

Shadowex is beyond feminism as wave. He's all about e-feminism, where all of feminism is determined by thinkpieces on websites most people don't read or care about.

9. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 Very Tilted

Yes they're so ignored, so unimportant, that they write for audiences of millions in major mainstream newspapers and their agitprop routinely becomes the basis of federal and state policy. It's not as if we're at the point multiple laws have been passed pandering to their destructive whims and almost the entire US university system has completely thrown out the most basic tenets of due process and equal protection under the law.

Clearly they're harmless nobodies, I mean it's not like even Harvard University itself recently had its back broken and was forced to comply with their lynch mob mentality.

10. Bodkin van Horn

Those are some hefty exaggerations. I mean, clearly Harvard is a crippled organization because of some feminist bloggers, but beside that, really, your characterizations are kind of overly-excited (I also think your description of Harvard having had its back broken is overblown).

What proportion of feminists actually read these bloggers again?

11. Baraka_Guru

No. It's that your analogy was inaccurate, and it kind of sucked.

#NotAllMen, amiright?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
  12. Bodkin van Horn

#notallfeminists

• Like Like x 1
  13. redravin

This should cause a mess but I thought it was funny.

14. redravin

15. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 Very Tilted

Meanwhile in the real world feminists constantly use " like a man" as an incredibly toxic attack every time men so much as try to talk about... well, pretty much everything. Almost every feminist slur against men revolves around gender policing men for failing to adhere to their standards of masculinity, telling men to "man up", mocking "pissbaby manfeelz" or particularly distastefuly "penisfeelz". This has become so widespread that an entire small industry of products has cropped up mocking "male tears".

Even outside of feminism itself amazingly popular T-shirts say boys are stupid and to throw rocks at them, another superbowl commercial just plain demeans having a son, boys are suffering a crisis so severe that suicide is the second leading non-accidental cause of death starting at 10 years old, and they're falling behind so badly in every single meaningful aspect of education that people are publishing very concerned academic articles about it.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_xSZ0HXiIU&list=UUmb8hO2ilV9vRa8cilis88A

16. Baraka_Guru

They are the worst feminists ever.

17. Bodkin van Horn

I remember when feminists bombed pearl harbor. Notice how most of the victims were men. Coincidence? I'm not so sure.

• Like Like x 3
  18. redravin

Actually I'm wondering about the suicide factor.
    What percentage of the male suicides are vets and how would that change of we went to a more female heavy military (or would it change at all)?
    For that matter how many of the suicides are cops? With the same addition as above.
    We create jobs with dangerous stress levels without any kind of real safety net then people want to blame the results on everything but a system that is poorly though out to begin with.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
    • Like Like x 3
  19. Herculite

Herculite Very Tilted

As a dentist I find talks about suicide rates meaning a whole lot kinda funny ;)

I don't blame the system.

20. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

Wow. That video is ripe.