1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Michigan Republicans pass "Pro-Bullying" bill

Discussion in 'Tilted Philosophy, Politics, and Economics' started by Derwood, Nov 3, 2011.

1. Derwood

Derwood Slightly Tilted

2. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

I read about this yesterday but was so utterly flabbergasted that I didn't know what to think of it.

Now? I simply think it's an absolutely atrocious bill that needs to be overturned.

I think it's further evidence of the religious right's interference with civil rights in the U.S. This is a huge step backwards for gay rights, to give religious bigotry a green light like this.

It's disgusting.

3. Eddie Getting Tilted

So if I tell a gay guy that I believe homosexuality is morally wrong, am I bullying? Or am I just stating my beliefs in a country with religious freedom? And that's all this bill says.
    This is the passage that all the libs are up in arms about:
    “This section does not prohibit a statement of a sincerely held religious belief or moral conviction of a school employee, school volunteer, pupil, or a pupil & parent or guardian.”

4. Baraka_Guru

"God hates fags and you will burn in hell" is totally legit if the speaker truly believes it, and they can repeat it all they want.

There is a fine line between religious freedom and civil rights.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Eddie Getting Tilted

I think the GOP guys were trying to prevent situations where a pupil, volunteer or staff member can get prosecuted for saying that homosexuality is wrong. I admire them for protecting our freedom of speech and religion.

6. Derwood

Derwood Slightly Tilted

Telling students that homosexuality is morally wrong is not in the job description of ANY teacher, principal or school administrator.

Would you approve a bill that protected teachers from telling black students that they're genetically inferior to white students? I mean, it's all about freedom of speech, right? Can a male principal tell the cheerleading squad what nice asses they have? Don't want to stomp on his Constitutional rights, eh, Eddie?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Eddie Getting Tilted

Wrong. The elementary, high school and college I went to all taught biblical principles including the immorality of homosexuality. And those schools continue to teach those things.

8. Baraka_Guru

I hope these are private schools. This sort of thing doesn't belong in public education. (Though, really, it doesn't belong anywhere.)

9. Eddie Getting Tilted

That's your opinion, and you're entitled to it.

10. Baraka_Guru

Well, it's perfectly rational to suggest that ignorant religious bigotry shouldn't be taught through the use of public resources.

11. ring

ring

"The Puritanical bigotry, is strong in this one."
    That's unfortunate and sad, eddie.
    Sorry to hear you were subjected to that kind of repulsive indoctrination.
    Yikes.

12. Derwood

Derwood Slightly Tilted

People still believe Eddie's not a troll? I bet he has a huge laugh at each and every response to his scripted Conservative opinions.

• Like Like x 1
  13. ring

ring

Of course I believe he's a troll.
    I'm beginning to suspect he's being paid to troll here.

14. Eddie Getting Tilted

Um, you guys do realize that the overwhelming majority of the world believes homosexuality is wrong, don't you?

Anyways. Back to the OP. Is is bullying to tell someone that homosexuality is wrong?

15. Baraka_Guru

The issue everyone should be taking with this bill is that it fails to protect everyone equally. It leaves huge loopholes. It more or less says you can't be bullied unless the Bible, the Koran, Mein Kempf, etc., suggests to one of its adherents that you're a deviant by its standards.

It's ridiculous.

16. Eddie Getting Tilted

Bullying is using physical intimidation or assault. It's not name calling. And this senate bill does not allow or excuse physical intimidation or assault.

17. Derwood

Derwood Slightly Tilted

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

18. Baraka_Guru

"Defining bullying is a difficult task; however, most research agrees that bullying comprises physical, verbal, and psychological behaviors such as hitting, teasing, taunting, and manipulating social relationships." (http://nces.ed.gov/pubs2005/2005310.pdf)

The loophole is gaping.

19. Eddie Getting Tilted

Well, I think it's obvious that you have to protect freedom of speech. Whenever laws are concerned you have to err on the side of Constitutional freedom. An individual should be able to express his religious beliefs without being charged with a crime.

20. ngdawg

ngdawg Getting Tilted

Once a person spouts his "beliefs" directly to an individual with the intent of belittling and/or verbally abusing, it ceases to be a constitutional right. It is bullying. You can stand on a street corner and shout whatever crap you believe in and that's fine, you have that right. You come up to me and do the same thing, I have the right to call the cops on you.

• Like Like x 1