1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Michigan Republicans pass "Pro-Bullying" bill

Discussion in 'Tilted Philosophy, Politics, and Economics' started by Derwood, Nov 3, 2011.

1. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

I'm not all that familiar with your constitution, but it's my understanding that the First Amendment doesn't provide full protection in environments such as schools. Authority figures in schools are permitted to restrict certain speech among students and have the authority to discipline them in cases of breaching these restrictions. Otherwise, wouldn't that silly exception in this bill simply go without saying?

2. Eddie Getting Tilted

And what will you tell the cops? That I was preaching my beliefs to you? That's not a crime in America, as much as you want it to be.

3. Willravel

Willravel Getting Tilted

If I had a gay son or daughter and a kid at school was bullying them due to their orientation, I'd join the bully's church for about six months and change it. Churches are starved for young, well-to-do, impassioned families, and once in, it's extremely easy to gain social and political power in a congregation. I've seen it done dozens of times by complete idiots. It'd be even easier if I could get a few other families to come along.

If they can't respect my child's sexuality, I am given no reason to respect their religious beliefs, and I'm responsible for protecting my children from bigotry.

4. Eddie Getting Tilted

What if the bully doesn't go to church?

5. http://definitions.uslegal.com/h/hate-speech/

The legislation is, in my opinion, a blatant move by Michigan Republicans to legalize hate speech. They co-opted proposed legislation that was initiated to actually protect the targets it has deliberately exposed. I'm ashamed of my state legislature.

Stating an opinion is exercising freedom of speech. Verbally abusing someone who doesn't fit your moral definition of "correct" is hate speech. The bill is offensive.

6. Willravel

Willravel Getting Tilted

That'd make for a really funny religious defense.

"Why do you think it's okay to punch my son for being gay?"
    "I'm Christian!"
    "What church do you go to?"
    "Oh, I don't go to church."
    "So you're saying an atheist goes to church more than you do, but you have the religious right to bully my son?"

Check... and mate.

Anyway, the school district always sides with the parent with the attorney.

7. Eddie Getting Tilted

What does going to church have to do with religious rights?
    --- merged: Nov 4, 2011 3:35 AM ---
    Verbal abuse; Another one of those loose terms that people love to throw around.

8. Derwood

Derwood Slightly Tilted

I think it's pretty clear in this context.

Oh, and I like how you dodged my question about other freedom of speech scenarios

9. Joniemack

Joniemack Beta brainwaves in session

I can't for the life of me imagine a scenario where anyone would need to say such a thing but if you must....

......I think it's best to avoid terms like right, wrong and morals. Everyone knows they're subjective but they seem to carry a lot of weight when uttered with ill intention.

You should tell the guy instead "My religion prevents me from supporting your lifestyle". Then he can tell you to fuck off without feeling he's been morally judged by a bully.
    --- merged: Nov 4, 2011 6:14 AM ---
    Certainly in the public school system, there's no distinction between verbal bullying and physical bullying.

Hopefully someone will be taking this decision to a Higher Authority.

10. Derwood

Derwood Slightly Tilted

No, you should keep your mouth shut and keep your shitty opinions to yourself. Freedom of Speech doesn't mean you have to say every stupid thing that comes into your head out loud

• Like Like x 1
  11. Eddie Getting Tilted

12. Joniemack

Good advice.

I hope your quote of my comment isn't to suggest that you thought I was actually prompting Eddie say anything at all.

I know how comments can be misinterpreted. Especially snarky ones.
    --- merged: Nov 4, 2011 4:19 PM ---
    I don't see a lot of difference between the opinion put forth in the article and the majority of those in the comment section (though I didn't read all of them). Do you have an opinion on where you think the public stands on this issue, based on the comments?

What specifically do you disagree with in the article, Eddie?

13. Aceventura

Aceventura Slightly Tilted

Is suggesting some engage in "ignorant religious bigotry" bullying?

Is telling students that homosexuality is morally right in the job description of any teacher....?

I think our PC society has gone too far. At some point people have to be able to stand tall and stand strong in support of what they are and what they do even in the face of verbal hostility.

14. Willravel

Willravel Getting Tilted

Homosexuality is amoral.

15. Joniemack

I don't think the subject of whether or not homosexuality is moral or immoral should come up in a class room setting at all.

Unless it's included in an educational discussion about different sexual preferences or one focused on respect and tolerance of others.

Funny, Ace. I never took for a guy who'd be in support of the right of the religious to brand or belittle someone because of their sexual preference.

Your solution is so simplistic it's ridiculous. You've obviously never been in the situation and have little understanding of the devastating effects of bullying.

16. pan6467

pan6467 a triangle in a circular world.

Wow, just wow. Ya know there are times when SOME of your posts may make sense and then you post something like this. Name calling IS bullying and at times can lead to violence.

Now, Eddie, let's say a Michigan "Christian" HS football coach wants to win over a predominantly Jewish school.. In his pregame locker room "pep" talk is he allowed to say "Go fuck those fags up, they are devil worshiping zionistic pigs that belong to a religion that wants to take over the world."?

Are you ok with that? Because there are some weird assed churches out there that preach that bullshit. So, now it is OK in Michigan to have hate speech? And to you it's all about rights? What about the rights of the students in that locker room that don't wish to hear such hatred?

What about the student minding his own business in class and the teacher picks him out by name and states "Homosexuality is a crime against nature, you will burn in Hell. The Bible states that." Every kid in that class then feels they have the right to harass that kid unmercifully. Is that right, Eddie? And what about that kid's right to get an education without being harassed?

So, in the end Eddie, you are saying that it's ok for people to speak hatefully to someone else because the 1st amendment allows it?

What if it is a predominantly black school and the teachers all start talking about how the white students are racist ,slave owning progeny, that deserved 8/11 and the white students at that school should just all go home and worship their dollar and join the Pat Boone fan club?

Would you take those teachers side? I have a feeling here you could say yes, because none of those things could ever happen, right? No, there's a law in Michigan now, that you support, that will allow speech like that.

Well the test is very simple and needs not have a real life take to it. How did you respond to what Reverend Wright said in his sermons? That's religious freedom of speech and done in a church people voluntarily go to. I have a feeling you complained and bitched and said, "how dare he and well, if Obama went there he must believe that hate stuff also." It was his church to say those things in Eddie, So if you bitch about wanting rights and thus hate speech is ok, then you better not bring up Rev. Wright and any sermon he has given.

Your hypocrisies amaze me.

(BTW, I did complain about Rev. Wright. It was a nice excuse not to like Obama and to block out what Obama was trying to say. I see the error of my ways now. Not, that I am, a Rev Wright fan or an Obama fan but that made for a good excuse not to vote for him, when I agreed with a majority of his policies.)

17. streak_56

streak_56 I'm doing something, going somewhere...

Hate breeds more hate....

I also thought there was supposed to be a separation of church and state in the US?

18. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Heh. Funny.

19. issmmm

issmmm Getting Tilted

I also beleive homosexuality is against what God ask of us, I can't apologize for that, it's what I beleive and how I understand that passage in the Bible. Homosexuality is a sin in my veiw. That said so is lying, so is stealing, so is a bunch of stuff. I don't look down on those who live the life. What they do is their bussiness and I have no right to judge.

I have friends and family who are gay. I have friends and family who are liars. Do I have the right to say so? Yes I do. If someone ask me I am honest about my opinion, but if they haven't asked me, I have to assume that they have weighed whatever they felt they needed to weigh before they acted on whatever drives them and so I don't offer any opinion.

Having said all of that it is a wholelly different thing to express yourself publically and is not parallel with direct unsolicited verbal bile.

Sorry Eddie, I support your right to your opinion and your right to be heard even. But direct verbal contact in this situation is bullying.

what if Chuck Norris was gay, would these bullies chalenge him on it or is it just people they percieve weaker than them?

the law (and I have yet to read it, but assume it follows what Ive read here) sucks