1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Politics Middle Eastern power shifts

Discussion in 'Tilted Philosophy, Politics, and Economics' started by Remixer, Aug 30, 2012.

1. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

About fuckin' time.
    SAUDI FOREIGN MINISTER: TIME FOR ISLAMIC WORLD TO RECOGNIZE ISRAEL

Saudis have been the hidden factor all this time...large and in the middle, supposedly quiet and out of the fray...but actually setting tone and assisting here & there.

Let's hope this adds to the sanity...and the right direction.
    And that it's not an outlier. :rolleyes:

2. rogue49

PSA - a map of all the "interests" in the Middle East.
    A clusterfuck, definitely
    And I don't even think this is complete...
    Who Likes Who (or Hates...or Kinda...)

3. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

I love this,
    It makes sense that if you have to deal with a group that is using mostly mind games that it's best to use the same tools.
    So for me they are going to be Daesh from now on.

France is ditching the ‘Islamic State’ name — and replacing it with a label the group hates - The Washington Post

4. loquitur

loquitur Getting Tilted

This is interesting. I wonder how many other "accidents" there will be in Iran in the next few months?

5. rogue49

How not to stop terrorism - U.S. intervention is not the answer
    No matter what the U.S. has done, Islamic radicalism has been on the rise for two decades.

Agreed...and these days, with this administration...I don't think they want to.
    However, if not intervention...then what?

I think an encouragement to a change in policy and mindset for many nations such as these.
    Why?
    Because the "powers that be" within them encourage scenarios that allows this to happen.
    Give the people a reason not to be angry.
    To have hope...a way to grow.
    The "powers that be" there...allow the US and allies to intervene...give guns, give cash...BUT, they do the same old, same old policy and actions that keep the cycle running.

The US and any other target nation...needs to not attack or manipulate.
    But encourage and coax another way of doing things...not "democracy"...but mindset, care of people, emphasize cooperation with rivals (not isolation) and so on...
    Otherwise the cycle will continue.
    It's like trying to stop the tides...with bullets and bombs. (think of another way)

**And don't get me wrong, I'm not against military or projection of power. However, we need a more effective way.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
  6. rogue49

I wonder if this will be the "turn around"?

If not just the drive against ISIS,
    but the mindset of how far Middle Easterners should go...and who to blame for their woes.

When is enough..., enough?
    It took Europe a long-time to work through it's own constant blood-baths...but they finally got over it.

7. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

I think it might be time to redraw the map in Syria. Split up the land between Lebanon, Turkey, and Jordan. Everyone that wants to have gotten out of Syria has fled by now. So the military campaign to clear Syria can be the old WW2 kind, where there are no innocent bystanders. Only supporters and future fighters.

8. rogue49

9. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

Jordan was willing to make a deal.
    There are some folks, who are better informed than me, who think Daesh had already burned the pilot so they couldn't deal.
    Looks like that is going to bit them in the ass.

There has been whining from the Saudis that we aren't providing enough ground troops to do a rescue if one of their planes go down and so they have stopped flying.
    I'm hoping that Jordan will shame them into getting back into the air.

• Like Like x 1