1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Politics Middle Eastern power shifts

Discussion in 'Tilted Philosophy, Politics, and Economics' started by Remixer, Aug 30, 2012.

1. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

If this is the case, then wouldn't you say an American military intervention is warranted, given all the factors? It should be a no-brainer. I don't understand your position.

My own opinion is that this may benefit from a measured response from a U.N. multinational force with a focus on securing civilian areas and populations from military aggression and further WMD atrocities. However, I will admit I don't know enough of the details regarding the current status of territories and fighting to know whether this is pragmatic. At the very least, efforts should be stepped up to provide support for those caught in the fallout of the fighting, especially after this WMD attack.

Canada's Conservative government has endorsed the position of the U.S. government, though it has stated that there is no military mission planned at this time. Given our military history, this could easily change depending on how the situation pans out. Canada tends to help where help is needed to achieve reasonable goals aligned with peacekeeping or security operations.

Your comment about Canadians not giving a crap is either ignorant or a troll, in which case I can only suggest 1) maybe reading more about something before making assumptions, or 2) please show some decorum, whatever the case may be.

If you're interested to know (I won't hold my breath), Canada has spent $316.8 million to date in humanitarian, development, and security assistance in response to the crisis in Syria. Taking into consideration the relative sizes of our economies, that would be like the U.S. spending $2.9 billion (this, merely to help put it in perspective for you).

Canadians don't necessarily fear offending certain groups in the ME, but this isn't really the issue when considering what's offensive and what's not to whomever.

You're reaching to the point of practically lashing out. Is this a sensitive issue to you? I apologize if I offended you.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
  2. roachboy

roachboy Very Tilted

once upon a time, the united states was dominated by neo-con fuckheads who imagined that fabricating a case for war in iraq was hunky dory because the united states is the universal hegemon and can just do that sort of thing and besides that's what Leaders Do, you know, make shit up to legitimate actions that just shake things up, destructive innovation and all that dontcha know...and then, once the fake cases for war was sold to a paranoid american public, cowed into acceptance via the "war on terror" and some apparently naive belief that even the bush people wouldn't just lie to them, the geniuses of Leadership went into iraq without a plan except the "wolfowtiz doctrine" which held that the streets would be strewn with flowers in advance of the Liberators because everyone knows that the way Leadership sees the world correponds to how others see the world because the idea of Leadership says that is the case in those trash books of management literature and so of course it must be so. except that it was delusional. eight years, hundreds of thousands of deaths, an on-going civil war that should be more the center of attention than it is were it not for the fact that the united states seems committed to running away from the consequences of its action, mission accomplished with a knotted bandana stuffed down the front of his flight suit cowboy george in epic cretin regalia told the world, who gives a fuck about the chaos unleashed by that mission...this is what neo-con Leadership horseshit produced in iraq. so, obviously, the best imaginable idea would be to repeat the same fucking thing in syria. because the idea of Leadership as it is elaborated in trash management literature books sez so.

3. Aceventura

Aceventura Slightly Tilted

The Syrian conflict is internal. The risk of US involvement triggering responses from those opposed to US involvement is high. Too high given the President's rhetoric about limited strikes. The American public is war weary it would not be wise to initiate another military conflict under the circumstances.

I thought I read somewhere that Canada does not support outside military intervention in Syria. Is the current position a change?

Read what preceded my post. Your comments regarding US military policy in the past and your discussion about this issue begs the question regarding Canada. Even your above statement - "Canada has endorsed the position of the U.S. government" - the U.S. government has not established a position! what are you talking about? what is the Canadian government talking about? What is the Canadian government willing to do?

I wonder if the money is going to its intended use? Otherwise it is an honorable gesture. If I have offended any Canadian, I apologize.
    --- merged: Sep 3, 2013 at 12:39 PM ---
    I was not mislead. Perhaps you were mislead, but I have never understood if you ever supported US military action in Iraq and if you did not how do you argue that you were mislead. I guess my point is be more specific - who was mislead. Was Hilary Clinton mislead?
    --- merged: Sep 2, 2013 at 12:25 PM ---

Having a warrior mentality is not exclusive of wisdom. For example the writings of Sun Tzu (Art of War) illustrates exceptional wisdom. Obama consistently acts in contradictory ways relative to the principles Tzu outlined.

Spot on. In my view there is no nuance to war.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2013
  4. Baraka_Guru

I'm going to stop you right there.

Syrian civil war — Foreign Involvement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What I stated was a fairly recent announcement at the time. The Canadian government endorsed the American government's position regarding military strikes but have no military missions planned.

Why?

Obama presses Congress as Syria refugee crisis mounts| Top News| Reuters

Why?

Are you asking about the legitimacy or the efficacy of the international organizations operating in response to the crisis? And I'm also curious as to why.

I don't know why it would offend, but in typical Canadian fashion, I would apologize to you for being offended.

5. redux

redux Very Tilted

So you believe Iraq had WMD capabilities to strike its neighbors with WMD within days or months as we were told and that Saddam had ties to al Queda as we were also told?

Based on what intel?

I supported the no fly zones over Iraq in 1992 after the first Gulf War and Operation Desert Fox, Clinton's four day targeted bombing of military and security targets in 1998 and Iraq's ability to produce, store, maintain and deliver WMD.....the results of both of which combined deterred Saddam from attacking his neighbors or even his own people and significantly degraded his WMD capabilities....at no loss of US life or Iraqi civilians and little monetary cost to the US taxpayers.

You can point to Sun Tzu. I will point to more modern political leaders with a warrior mentality – Cowboy George and Chicken Hawk Chaney and their neo-con suborindates who willingly risked thousands of American lives, tens of thousands of Iraqi lives, in an off-budget $multi-billion invasion and occupation in pursuit of an ideological objective that left Iraq with a new corrupt government with stronger ties to Iran and sectarian insurrections/bombings that are a weekly, if not daily occurrence.

I am more supportive of a thoughtful combination of strategic use of military force along diplomatic pressure as opposed to “shock and awe” of military might alone.

As demonstrated by GHW Bush in Gulf War I, Clinton in the above cited Operation Desert Fox as well as Clinton/NATO approach to the Bosnia War and Obama/NATO response to the popular uprising against Gadaffi in Libya, all of which accomplished military and foreign policy objectives without significant loss of life.

6. roachboy

roachboy Very Tilted

meanwhile, an egyptian court has recommended the muslim brotherhood be made illegal.
    egypt has more or less cut off tunnels into gaza.
    hamas is, they say, not at all happy with the turn of events in egypt.
    and, they say, gaza has its own tamarod.
    but much of it is in jail.

on syria, here's a summary of what is known about the attack munitions-wise via brown moses:

Brown Moses Blog

7. Baraka_Guru

It would be silly to think that a contemporary equivalent to The Art of War should resemble everything in Sun Tzu's work.

Perhaps it would be like psychologists still clinging to Freud.

8. roachboy

roachboy Very Tilted

9. redux

redux Very Tilted

"All war is based on deception" -- Sun Tzu

10. Baraka_Guru

“…he who seeks to deceive will always find someone who will allow himself to be deceived.”​
    ― Niccolò Machiavelli, The Prince

11. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

So the flashpoint of the moment seems to be Syria.
    Egypt is about itself for the most part for now...but the Syrian issue is bringing in all the players.

And I agree with Obama's assessment that it's not his red line...but the World's red line that's in question on chemical warfare.

When are all the nations going to put up...is it all about putting down something on paper,
    but when it's about enforcing the line...all they can do is frown...not take steps.
    Why does the US get to be policeman?? (should it be?)
    NATO is now vanilla...the UN, no bite.

When is the responsibility going to be everyone's, not just one big player which many complain about either way.

Syria...it's about chemicals.
    Pakistan...it's about loose nukes
    Where's next???

12. Baraka_Guru

Putin has stated that he would be open to supporting a U.N. resolution authorizing military strikes, but it's apparent that doing so without a resolution would rankle the Kremlin.

There was a resolution for Libya. Why not Syria?

The U.N. no bite? 2011 military intervention in Libya - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What better way to make this about Syria instead of about the U.S. and Russia?

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  13. rogue49

Pretty much says it all...
    [​IMG]

The only thing that everyone is consistent about is their inconsistency... :rolleyes:
    I guess we only deal with "certain" Pandora's boxes.
    --- merged: Sep 4, 2013 at 4:12 PM ---
    And my reply is this...why can't they do it again???
    And why does this have to be about the US and Russia?? Isn't this about Syria?
    Ok, we've got a triggering event now...Go, do something. Let someone else play.

Can't complain that the US and Russia get too involved.
    And say, "why doesn't anyone do anything"..."oh the humanity"
    Then no one gets involved...or acts...and wonders why the US and Russia aren't "controlling" or "acting" on their interests.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2013
  14. Baraka_Guru

Meanwhile in Somalia.... :(
    --- merged: Sep 4, 2013 at 4:14 PM ---
    I imagine it's about the differences in geopolitics between Syria and Libya.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2013
  15. rogue49

Somalia, Sudan, Congo...and so on...

16. redux

redux Very Tilted

The two faces of John McCain

Two days ago:
    Today:

17. samcol

samcol Getting Tilted

mccain won the gop nomination for president by being the last man standing. he was playing poker on his phone during the syria debates the other day. why does anyone still give him credit? why would obama even consider him on foreign policy? his policies suck. this guy has become such a joke even mainstream radio talk show hosts bash him all day long when he speaks. the other laughing stock is john kerry making a case for war when NO ONE wants it. obama likes to consult congress as the last possible avenue, then does whatever he wants anyway.

18. redux

redux Very Tilted

I agree with you on McCain, probably the biggest war hawk in Congress. It's a shame that the most widely respected Republican in recent years on foreign policy, Richard Lugar, lost in a primary last year to a Tea Party extremist because Lugar worked with Obama on nuclear disarmament issues and was willing to compromise (a dirty word to Tea Party members) on domestic issues.

I thought John Kerry's testimony at both the Senate and House hearings was compelling and made a strong case that a limited action to deter and degrade Assad's use of chemical weapons addressed both the humanitarian/international obligations against only the third person since WW I to use chemical weapons (Hitler and Saddam) against all international standards and, more importantly, US interests.

The biggest joker to me was Sen. Ted Cruz (no surprise) who characterized the proposed limited action as "acting as al Queda's air force", followed by Congressman Joe Wilson (who screamed liar during an Obama state of the union address several years ag0) who claimed that Obama was pushing to strike Syria as a distraction for the Benghazi "cover up.)

We'll see if Rand Paul joins the joker crowd in the coming days when the vote comes to the Senate floor...after demanding that Obama bring a resolution to the Congress for a vote, if he in fact will prevent the Senate from voting with a filibuster.
    --- merged: Sep 5, 2013 3:27 AM ---
    IMO, the gravest danger to US foreign policy interests, in both short and long term, would be the isolationist/tea party extremists becoming the voice of the Republican party.

I dont like the war hawks like McCain on the other side of the aisle on critical foreign policy issues, but the Tea Party types like Paul and Cruz are just as bad, if not worse.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  19. samcol

samcol Getting Tilted

the limited actions sound ok by itself, but what if russia get involved, what if israel does something? any strikes we do could commit us to 'boots on the ground.' if it was just syria and the us in the picture then it's cut and dry. that's not the situation over there at the moment. no clear battle lines drawn up and no one's supporting us. kerry was totally over simplifying this. it could open a whole bag of worms that we can't deal with or afford.

20. redux

redux Very Tilted

Russia may huff and puff but respond military? No way, in fact, they are getting closer to signing on to a UN resolution calling for action against Assad.

Israel will go on alert but certainly wont initiate any military strikes. Why would they?

As to the war weary American public? I get it. They were drawn into a costly (in terms of lives and dollars) invasion and occupation of Iraq based on lies and an "over simplification" of what that would require.

But sometimes the right thing to do is not the popular thing to do, and IMO, a limited, targeted strike to degrade Assad's chemical weapon capabilities, thus deterring him from using them again on his own people or even potentially siphoning them off to Hezbollah at some point, is the right thing to do for US interests and the humanitarian thing to do for the people of Syrian and the next dictator who might see the use of chemical weapons as acceptable behavior.