1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

mini USB cables

Discussion in 'Tilted Gear' started by genuinemommy, Aug 10, 2016.

1. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

This is a reoccurring problem for us.

We have a variety of things that use mini usb cables for charging and data link purposes. Cell phones, tablet, etc.

Every single cable we have is defective. Those two little pins on the longer side seem to wear out first.

No matter what brand, no matter how high-quality or cheap... it's all the same.

It has always been kind of annoying, but lately it has gotten out of control. We recently ordered 6 high-quality name-brand cables. More than half of them were defective upon arrival.

Does anyone else have this infuriating problem?

I know we have grabby toddler hands all over our house, which could be contributing to the short lifespan of such products... but when they're defective immediately out of the packaging... that's telling us that it's not just our particular home dynamics contributing to this issue.

Does anyone have a particular brand they recommend?

Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
  2. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

We've had the same issue with cords for our iPhone/iPads. Don't want to spend a fortune for Apple ones, cheap imitations fray or fry very quickly. I've started cruising Amazon for deals, ranked by positive ratings. We've had much better success since we've went that route. Most still only last 12-18 months with heavy usage, but it's far better than what we were getting.

• Like Like x 1
  3. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for chiming in. Glad we're not alone in this, and that it's not limited to our style.

• Like Like x 1
  4. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

• Like Like x 1
  5. Daniel_

Daniel_ The devil made me do it...

The best budget cables I've found are from a Danish store called Tiger. They're all over UK and I've seen them in Spain, but I don't know where else they trade

• Like Like x 2
  6. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

Yep, I am apparently ruthless on cables. Anker is the only company that can hang more than 6 months with me. I just got two 3' cables for under $10 on Amazon. I have two 6' for home as well. It's always those two pins. The Droid Turbo port is tough on them. The S5 was worse. But, I've been using Anker cables for 4ish years.

• Like Like x 1