1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Politics Minneapolis Police Incident and Protests

Discussion in 'Tilted Philosophy, Politics, and Economics' started by omega, May 27, 2020.

1. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

As a productive of Texas public schools (going back 42 years) I can tell you the history I was taught was sanitized. Studying history, and politicl science, in college was eye opening.

Much of is political and economic. The Texas Education Agency (TEA) approves text books, and the Texas market is huge. Publishers cater to what the usually very conservative TEA dictates.

Gawd forbid our precious snowflakes hear the truth about our history with Mexico, the fact the Texas Rangers started as hired guns thugs, etc.

• Like Like x 1
  2. omega

omega Very Tilted

I can only speak for my old department. We didn't have quotas, we could write as many tickets as we wanted. However, dispatch will status check you every hour during the day and every half hour in the evening if you are not on the radio. So you be proactive. Doesn't have to be a ticket. Could be calling out a road hazard, a tire tread you are stopping to remove from the highway. Could be a motorist check. But you needed to be proactive. Not parked for hours on paper or hiding in the office. Before my time, the standard was write your daily salary in tickets each day. We were big on seatbelts, but it was a secondary citation. So you'd notice the lack of seatbelt. Then start looking for cracked windshield, misaligned license tabs, etc.
    I feel for her. She thought she had her taser. But she didn't, and killed him. And that is a problem. Just like if you were pursuing a runner and killed someone while in pursuit. The job and people's rights are just too important.

• Like Like x 3
  3. boink

boink Slightly Tilted

I do buy the story she mistook one weapon for another because she and her partners seemed to me to be freaking out so hard.
    It seemed like they were acting like they were totally out of control of the situation and we're going for total desperation moves.

Shouldn't a cop have training and personal disposition of confidence that they can handle a 20 yo with bad tabs without even a tazer ?
    Once a citizen is in the control of the police it is the police who are supposed to insure the citizen dosn't get hurt. So they can make it to trial at least.
    It just seems like way too many black folk are treated by default as a live hand grenade.
    If he had a warrant for weed, fine, that's not mass murder and God knows most mass murders kill themselves, cops don't kill many of those guys.

• Like Like x 3
  4. omega

omega Very Tilted

Oh absolutely. She screwed up and killed him. Just because I empathize doesn't mean she shouldn't face consequences. I chased a kid once who was speeding and ran as soon as I turned on him. Stops at the end of a long driveway and jumps out, runs into the darkness between a house and barn. As soon as he was getting out I was getting out to increase my movement and cover. And my pistol was in my hand. But I immediately saw him at a dead sprint into the darkness away from me. And his passenger was still in the car. No shots fired because I didn't kmow why he was running. No chase because I could not see him and I didn't want to be ambushed. And his buddy would now be behind me. So I detained the passenger and we took the car. He called the next day to turn himself in. Was just a scared dumb kid

• Like Like x 3
  5. omega

omega Very Tilted

During academy, we had a training where you confront a motorist who is antagonostic. He jumps out of the car and advances on you with his hands up. Almost every one of us reached for our blue guns, which prompted an immediate "whoa, what the fuck are you doing? Are you going to shoot me? I just wanted to talk and you're ready to kill me?" The point was that we have multiple tools at our disposal and if we just shoot down an unarmed man who advances on us, then we have probably gone too far. They suggested a front thrust kick, boot to the chest, with a "get back!" Sends a clear message allowing for escalation or deescalation based on their reaction.

• Like Like x 2
  6. boink

boink Slightly Tilted

I haven't seen any lead in video to the shooting. It sure would be interesting to hear how this started, like all the video on the other traffic stop in the black suv with the soldier.

I get the pull over, dark tint and a paper temp licence, the need to show your busy and paying attention. Sure that's fine and especially if you do so from behind and can honestly claim that race or any bias was involved in the stop.

I guess this cops life is changing contrary to his belief...the ass hole !

7. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

• Informative Informative x 3
  9. boink

boink Slightly Tilted

scha·den·freu·de
    ¯⁠\⁠(⁠°⁠_⁠o⁠)⁠/⁠¯

• Like Like x 1
  10. boink

boink Slightly Tilted

@rogue49
    Yeah but then you'd need to care about them ppl too. The job is a sadist magnet.
    Excellent clip though and I've definitely had some conversation with a cop about current day conundrums

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2023
  11. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

Who summoned the genie of the lamp??
    You rang?

12. boink

boink Slightly Tilted

Yes, I mean re the Alissa Milano cop clip.
    You can't buy that kind of attitude.
    I'm not sure how you attract that kind of person cause it's not about the money. Neither am I sure how you filter out people who are attracted to the power in an abusive way.
    Lol if I did it could solve a lot of problems.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1