1. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Moral Support!!

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by genuinemommy, Aug 31, 2016.

?

Do you think I will finish my PhD?

1. Yes

16 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 42

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

I have come to realize that I'm in THE VALLEY OF SHIT.

^^ read that link, it's a good one, not just applicable to PhDs ^^
    A point in my PhD process where I am convinced that no matter how I look at it, it all seems impossible.
    I think anyone involved in a big project faces a similar tipping point.

So... I'm looking for friends to pipe in and offer their moral support.
    Remind me that I should listen to my advisor, co-authors, and cohorts when they tell me that I'm really almost done and I can do this.

'cause right now I need to surround myself with positive people.

THANK YOU!

2. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

Though I did vote "yes", I mentally changed the wording of the question from "think" to "know". ;)

• Like Like x 4
  3. MeltedMetalGlob

MeltedMetalGlob Resident Loser Donor

You shouldn't even have to ask the question. :)

• Like Like x 2
  4. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Very Tilted

You have to be one of the smartest human beings I ever interacted.

Not even a question.

• Like Like x 2
  5. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Thinking of you. I was talking about your stats struggles with my husband just last night.

This too shall pass.

Sometimes we just have to get through things to see the light.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

• Like Like x 2
  7. MeltedMetalGlob

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

We're better at immoral support.

Academia seems obligated to put a few impossible hurdles in your way, just to see if it will throw you. Don't let it (and don't be one of those dicks once you have your Phd).

• Like Like x 2
  9. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

You will not only make it and look good doing it but you will inspire those of us who have been hanging back to take the risk ourselves.

• Like Like x 3
  10. POPEYE

POPEYE Very Tilted

You will make that PhD look good on you. ...like Will Smith and dark sunglasses

• Like Like x 4
  11. Fangirl

Fangirl Very Tilted

You are so very capable. You can and will do this. We have your back.

• Like Like x 1
  12. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

Can we call ya doc?? ;)

What's up doc? :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

I have
    absolutely no doubt
    that you will obtain your Phd.

Is that emphatic enough?

• Like Like x 1
  14. Chris Noyb

Thread hijack--On.

Sorry, but I've been wanting to post this, and now I see an opening.

About seven years ago a older couple, around their late 50s, bought a house in our neighborhood. The man saw four of of us talking in another neighbor's yard--a yard sale IIRC--and came over to introduce himself and chat for a while. A little later his wife came over and introduced herself,

"I'm the doctor Her Name, blah, blah, blah."

We were a bit taken back by her "haughty" introduction, and I noticed that her husband cringed and hid his face by looking at the ground. I'm guessing that she was nervous and therefore trying to impress us. It didn't work because between the four of us we have/had (I'm not sure what tense to use): A masters, two bachelors, and an associates. Over time she relaxed, she's as down-to-earth as we are.

Thread hijack--Off.

• Like Like x 2
  15. MeltedMetalGlob

I've ran across this on occasion, and rather than explain my viewpoint verbally, I'll just post a meme:
    [​IMG]

(apologies to Stan Laurel for borrowing the first half of this joke.)

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
    • Like Like x 4
  16. Fremen

Fremen Allright, who stole my mustache?

• Like Like x 2
  17. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

I love all these responses. Thank you for the encouragement.

Today I lost library access again. It happens at the start of every semester, as they process my enrollment. It's expected. Yet it always makes me nervous, as if I'm just waiting for them to tell me my time is up and they pull the plug for good.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

Keep at it, you'll get through it. They make in to an endurance contest just because they can. Don't let the bastards grind you down.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Chris Noyb

Your post reminded me of something , which I've previously mentioned, but it's worth a repeat.

When I started at UH they had a widespread problem with book theft. The official on-campus bookstore was in large part at fault: For X number of weeks into the semester they would give full refunds on books (which makes sense because classes are dropped & added), but they didn't require a receipt. Duh!!

The library had many warning signs posted saying do not leave your books unattended. They also had many small study rooms with locking doors. When I asked about them I was told they were for graduate students only. When I mentioned that many remained unused the entire semester, I was told they were for graduate students only. When I asked why the library didn't make some of the unclaimed ones--say half--available to undergrads after the semester 'settled,' I was told they were for graduate students only.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  20. Chris Noyb

I apologize for continuing the thread hi-jack, but I forgot mention this:

Another reason for the book theft problem was students from the surrounding universities & campuses--such as Houston Community College, the UH open-enrollment campuses, & Texas Southern University--also used the library. Which was fair, but unfortunately many students left their books unattended. IME getting your books, notebooks, etc. arranged for for some serious studying only to have to move them when what you needed was in another section of the library was a major PITA.

And some people thought that being 'first' at a table in the library gave them the right to claim more than their 1/6 of the table space (one table, six chairs three to a side). That's understandable when there are many available sets, but not when the library got crowded. "Move my books? I'm studying!!" "Yes, which is what I'm going to be doing once you move your books off of my table space."