1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Most Americans can't afford a $1,000 emergency expense

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by cynthetiq, Aug 11, 2011.

1. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

Are you prepared for a $1,000 emergency? Would it be a big burden? Impossible? So detrimental that it causes you to miss payments on other things like rent/mortgage?

I have always made it a priority to be able to withstand a $1,000 emergency since I was 18. I would not cash paychecks just to make sure that I did not spend the money. Today I have hidden that amount of money in various locations to make sure that I'm able to get access those funds if needed and not impact my normal monthly budget.

2. Spiritsoar

Spiritsoar Slightly Tilted

I'm still digging myself out of a credit card whole I made last time I had to deal with an unexpected emergency. I know it technically would have made sense to pay it all off, but on principle I've tucked away enough to handle an emergency again first, with tax returns and savings. Now I'm almost done paying off my credit and I still have my backup. I shouldn't ever have to go into credit card debt that can't be paid off again.

3. Fremen

Fremen Allright, who stole my mustache?

A thousand dollars? Yeah, right! More like hard put to come up with an emergency couple of hundred.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

I'm ready.

I am prepared for a "leave the country" emergency. It wouldn't be a burden at all (aside from the couch). I keep at least enough money to survive frugally for a year without a job. It's a pain in the ass because I've been loading that account for the cash purchase of a house (so close) but I could liquidate it and escape to MexiCanada in a matter of 72 hours. Crap example, though. I don't have kids, I'm not married, I didn't pay a dollar to get a college degree and I spent several Spartan years in a stupid uniform earning decent money. Most of my coworkers can't go a month without a job.

5. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

There was a time where I was pretty much living cheque to cheque. It's one of the things that happens when you have a kid at a very young age. You have a few more expenses than someone like Plan9 (as he readily acknowledges).

I made it a priority to get rid of all of my debt and to start saving. Getting rid of the debt took a bit of time but I managed to get it done, incrementally at first, and later in big chunks. Selling my house last year, got rid of the last bit of debt I had.

So, until about seven years ago, I probably couldn't have afforded an emergency of $1000 without going further into debt (credit card companies were always willing to give me more credit, even if I didn't want it). Now, I wouldn't have trouble with it.

6. greywolf

greywolf Slightly Tilted

I'm surprised the figure is as low as it is. From anecdotal experience, I see WAY too many apparently financially sound people who couldn't cover an unexpected expense. Our education system raises financial illiterates, and is woefully inadequate in life-skills teaching, especially in the handling of money. Somehow, this is seen as the sole responsibility of the parents, and trying to teach kids basic fiscal management is like trying to teach religion. It's a no-go.

So parents who have trouble managing their own finances end up teaching their own kids the same problems.

There are lots of books on financial management, and most of them will bore a person to death. But I really do highly recommend the book "The Wealthy Barber" by David Chilton (I do not know him, or have any relationship with him ;) ). He's Canadian, but there is an American edition. It isn't revolutionary, or even right all the time, but it has most things right, especially the basics. And it's READABLE. It's funny, enjoyable, and easily understood. Every member of my extended family who finishes college gets handed a copy.

7. Cayvmann

Cayvmann Very Tilted

Up to my neck in debt, from several $1000+ emergencies over the years. Medical bills suck. I make a pretty good salary, but it's spent on food and paying bills. I'm hoping my daughter is done with surgeries, she's had about 5 in her almost 14 years. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel though. If things go well in the next couple of years, I'll be payed off, and can start saving. Then my daughter will be college age, yeeeeesh

8. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

Yes, I could, but there was a time not so many years ago when it would've been a huge blow.

But I echo some of what Greywolf said. How much of it is true poverty and how much is poor money management? How many of those people have huge HDTVs, killer cable/satellite service, smart phones with data plans, high speed Internet, video game consoles, designer clothes/shoes, eat out daily, etc? I bet a very decent portion, which tells me it's a priority issue more than a money issue.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Redlemon

Redlemon Getting Tilted

$1000? We could purchase a new car tomorrow without a loan. My wife and I are both highly financially conservative, and were very fortunate that our parents paid for college so that we didn't start out with college loans.

10. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

Amen.

11. Xazy Vertical

I can afford it yes. I feel that people have instead of saving have been working hard to tackle and remove debt that they owe. Americans currently owe in credit card debt an average of $4,679 as of the end of the first quarter. This is the lowest since 2000. In 2009 and 2010 consumers paid off 72 billion more then they borrowed. These stats were released by Transunion about a month ago.

I think because interests rates are low, savings accounts are mostly useless, and people do lose site of the necessity of having an emergency fund. But I do think while in a way its a negative for the economy it is a good thing that people are learning to be more thrifty.

12. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

In general, it wouldn't be a problem.

However, the purchase of a new motorcycle helmet combined with 2 slashed tires a day later has my liquid cash flow a bit stretched at the moment.

My 401k has enough funds to pay off the house and live for a few years, though it isn't easily accessible, yet.

13. OldBoy

OldBoy Vertical

I dont have 1000 cash saved, but I do keep an unused credit card with a 1500 limit reserved for emergency cash if/when its necesary.

• Like Like x 1
  14. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

Having a reserve of ready funds is something my husband and I have always chosen to do. We scrimp, save, and live below our means. We often do without many things that some people consider basic necessities. We take our satisfaction in saving, and finding new ways to manage with less. This came in handy the past year when $6,000 was required over a short period of time for medical expenses. We had health insurance, but it had a high deductible since we have always been healthy and didn't think we'd need anything other than preventative care. When the time came that we needed our stash, it was waiting. This could have been a frightening experience financially, one that could have wiped us out had we not planned. We were ready, and a physically/emotionally challenging situation was made easier without the worry of insufficient funds.

15. cynthetiq

That's unfortunate and fortunate to hear.

I think back to the idea that it's to save for a rainy day, and in life there will be a rainy day, and in fact truth be told, unfortunately it rains quite frequently.

16. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Here's why I don't have $1,000 cash sitting around for an emergency expense:

I carry a lot of credit card debt. Much of it is a hangover from living expenses during my post-secondary education in addition to paying for post-degree education for job training, etc.

That said, I see more value in putting that $1,000 onto my credit card to avoid paying the interest.

So instead of having it sit in a bank account for "just in case," I would rather use that same extra cash to pay down a credit card balance.

In the end, it's about a difference of $200 dollars a year in terms of avoiding interest expenses.

If an emergency comes up costing $1,000, I will then use the credit card. That way, I'm only paying interest on the money when I have to.

17. cynthetiq

That is the wisest thing to do because you still have an ability to retrieve $1,000 if needed. Many don't have that access.

18. Saltpork

Saltpork New Member

Most of what everyone has been saying rang true for me for a while. We had a decent savings account and then one thing led to another and we had thousands in CC debt. The flip-flop came fast and hit hard. Then my wife had a few big checks roll in from real estate transactions and we are debt free, but not sure that our savings is back to where it needs to be. Most of the issues that came up are things you just can't plan for, and loose spending practices. It's all about planning and being careful. We're getting back on track, but it's so easy to derail.

19. ace0spades

ace0spades Slightly Tilted

Most Canadians can't either... Ooof!

I'm supporting my partner through school right now, so everything is tight. I make enough so she gets bumped down in her student loans, so yeah, it would take me about three months of living on rice to save up 1000 bucks with all of our expenses right now (and that's after dramatically paring things down after our last move). Tuition sucks.

20. Stick

Stick Vertical

I work in a coal mine here in Oz and my after tax pay is nearly $20,000 more than my school teacher wifes before tax pay. We're doing good. Going to buy another house to let out soon. Hopefully a 250 ton truck wont run over me and spoil my plans for world real estate domination.