1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Most Americans can't afford a $1,000 emergency expense

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by cynthetiq, Aug 11, 2011.

1. greywolf

greywolf Slightly Tilted

It does make sense to pay down the credit card debt first, almost always. The interest rate on cc debt is so high that it should almost always be your first choice. And you CAN consider it as your emergency savings. If you owe $10,000 on credit cards, paying $200/month just in interest, and you manage to whittle that down to $8,000/$160, you are much further ahead than if you stayed at $10,000/$200 on the credit cards and went to $2000 in savings earning maybe $10 a month in interest. If you suddenly need $1000 for an emergency, and use your credit card, you're back at $9,000/$180, still ahead on your credit cards. And you continue working on the credit cards until you've re-couped the emergency spending, as well as even more of the original debt.

Savings less debt is the same figure, regardless of where the debt is owed and the savings are held. The bottom line is what you need to address (again, with a few exceptions). Therefore, your best bet is, when you're in a "negative equity" situation, you're in debt. The first move is to eliminate the debt with the highest interest rate first. It, in effect, begins to earn interest for you at that interest rate, tax-free.

2. ejkwt

ejkwt Vertical

Ah I see. I've been pondering my financial strategies re: 401k these days as well...

3. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Well, damn. I can't help but think I jinxed myself, posting in this thread. I'm still not sure what the final bill is going to be, but it's something like $300-400. Good thing I have cash on hand. Vacation plans have changed, but we're still going, dammit.

4. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

I had something similar happen. Something with Skogafoss' passport and visa for India suddenly it was $600.

5. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

We managed to dodge it...but I'll be investing in a new water pump next payday.

6. $1,000? Yeah, not happening. With $1,000 I could get my vehicles working, collection action stopped on my medical equipment, and possibly go to the doctor to get my medications refilled.

I have a friend, 26, who has two years (yes, years) worth of funds, in that if he lost employment he could pay his bills and maintain his standard of living for two years. He's going to school to be a hedge fund manager, go figure.