1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Music to make you productive?

Discussion in 'Tilted Art, Photography, Music & Literature' started by redux, Aug 15, 2013.

1. redux

redux Very Tilted

Focus @will is a web tool/app created by a team of scientists and UCLA researchers that streams attention-enhancing music.

The creators call the stream “music you hear but should not be actively listening to.” Every track – organized in categories like classical, ambient, and cinematic – has been slightly edited or remastered to hit the right balance: not so bland that you tune out, but not so interesting that you notice it.

Supposedly, if you stick with it you can concentrate for a monk-like 100 minutes. The science behind it.

I'll test at work tomorrow.

2. Saw this, decided to put it on. Suddenly it's half an hour later. It does exactly what it says on the carton; It's music you hear, but don't actively notice. Great for those of us that work better in not-silence.

I previously had a Massive Attack station on Pandora that basically accomplishes the same thing, but this might become my new favorite. We'll see.

3. Very cool, I'll try it this morning. Have very detailed work to accomplish today.

4. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

I'm sure this service is great for a ton of music (and with a wide variety) to help you focus, but I don't like to pay for something if I can avoid it.

That said, I've found that a lot of Baroque music works well for productivity. And more recently, I've been using ragas with a lot of success.

I generally find that music meant for meditation or spas is generally useful for this purpose as well.

As for soundtracks, I'm amazed at how well the two Age of Conan soundtracks I have work for boosting my energy in a focused way. For a while, I was using Dragon Age: Origins and a few World of Warcraft soundtracks as well (and I should go back to those). Once you get used to the music, you don't actively listen to it when you're working, but it gets you in the zone, if that makes sense. The WoW music is a bit cheesy (though comforting if you play the game), but the others are actually quite amazing.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  5. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

My husband uses this to get through thesis writing. He's a special case, though--ADHD Type Inattentive. Personally, I have a playlist of songs titled "Writing" that I listen to over and over again. Baraka_Guru, the problem with the WoW soundtracks is that they hit some button inside of me that says, "MUST PLAY WORLD OF WARCRAFT NAO."

6. Baraka_Guru

I get that only on occasion. What I get way more often is nostalgia about discovering the world for the first time. I really enjoyed doing levels 1 to about 30 mostly. I did that several times. It seems beyond that it loses its appeal a bit. I found 30 to 60 okay, but I didn't like Burning Crusade all that much. Wrath of the Lich King was pretty good, as was much of Cataclysm. I haven't gone to Pandaria, or whatever it's called. I guess I found the higher levels merely abstractions of lower levels. There is much I found quaint and relaxing about the lower levels. Beyond that, it got simply repetitive, plus the Horde typically outnumbered the Alliance 5 to 1 or worse on my server, so I would always get ganked/grieved to the point of not having fun—at all.

7. roachboy

roachboy Very Tilted

8. snowy

Pandaria is pretty original, actually. There's some neat stuff to explore. I also enjoy farming. Actual farming. I grow crops at my sweet farm in Valley of the Four Winds.

9. roachboy

roachboy Very Tilted

multi-sensory branding, they call it now.

10. Baraka_Guru

Oh, snowy.... You shouldn't have told me.... You. shouldn't. have. told. me.

Curse you, vile temptress! :eek:

11. Cayvmann

Cayvmann Very Tilted

I'm focusing on the music somehow, but I like it.

12. Baraka_Guru

I'm currently listening to the soundtrack to World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria. Though I probably shouldn't, right, snowy?

• Like Like x 1
  13. snowy

I actually haven't listened to the pandaren music! My husband insists I play with the music off. I'll have to turn it on today while I'm doing my Anglers and Tillers dailies.

14. roachboy

roachboy Very Tilted

i've been listening to ustad vilayat khan play sitar all morning.
    i don't know that it's made me more "productive" in any capitalist sense.
    it really doesn't matter.

15. absorbentishe

absorbentishe Vertical

Going to try this today.... Maybe make the day go faster.

16. Baraka_Guru

It's not amazing. I've only been through it once, though. I still much prefer the original soundtrack and the WotLK soundtrack out of the bunch.

Still nothing touches Age of Conan though. :)
    --- merged: Aug 23, 2013 at 10:16 AM ---
    Head office has reviewed a study developed by a respectable and lauded outside consultancy, and it has been decided that a particular type of music shall be played during all productive hours at all locations. Compliance is expected, and random audits and evaluations the norm.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2013
    • Like Like x 1