1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Must-have Android apps

Discussion in 'Tilted Gear' started by Zweiblumen, Sep 9, 2011.

1. MSD

MSD Very Tilted

If anyone hasn't signed up for an Ingress invite, it's a fun game and you probably should.
    This may very well be the most convenient and useful thing I've ever downloaded. Thanks for the recommendation[/quote]

2. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

You're welcome.

After having it for a while now, and getting the alerts on my phone, it's both good and a bit unsettling to have my financial snapshot thrust in my face every so often.

If I had this thing ten, twenty, years ago, I'd probably be in a much better position today.
    --- merged: Mar 19, 2013 at 10:07 PM ---
    It looks fun. I've signed up. Now I wait.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2013
  3. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 Very Tilted

I want to like mint more, but it suffers from the common malady of only updating and sending out alerts or notices when I open it up manually (be it online or on device).

4. redux

redux Very Tilted

If you ever plan on visiting DC, the National Park Service National Mall app is a must.

[​IMG]
    The app includes a total of 70 sites including all the National Mall monuments and Memorial Parks, Smithsonian Museums...

I tried the Park Lens feature today...very cool.
    Park Lens – Find out what is around you with augmented reality. Just hold up your device and look through the camera. Labels will appear identifying all sites on the National Mall.

5. Quora and Readability are both must haves if you are a knowledge sponge. Pulse is an awesome RSS reader.

6. Daniel_

Daniel_ The devil made me do it...

Just added Evernote, and am very pleased so far.

• Like Like x 1
  7. MSD

MSD Very Tilted

Today's Amazon Appstore free app of the day is Plasma Sky - Rad Space Shooter, and you really should get it. Even if you miss the free download and have to pay $1.99, it's a great game in the classic arcade space shooter style with modern sound and graphics.

8. Pocket.

Aldiko. Great e-reader. Nothing like having an entire library in your pocket wherever you go. Technology really is an amazing thing.

9. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

Waze (traffic MUST HAVE)
    Fuelly (tracks mileage, mpg, etc)
    SwiftKey keyboard
    GoSMS
    Starbucks app
    Simple Calendar (clean and easy)
    SMS backup & restore (even restores after factory restore if saved to external SD card)
    Office Suite (reads all docs)
    TripIt's app
    Bacon Reader
    WP clock 2 (runs as a wallpaper, love it)
    Dropbox, CNN, Pandora, etc.

10. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 Very Tilted

I've tried Waze, on my S3 it overheats so badly that the phone is uncomfortable to touch.

11. redux

redux Very Tilted

12. MSD

MSD Very Tilted

Rando
    Rando - Android Apps on Google Play

Imagine the opposite of Instagram. The pictures are circles instead of squares, there's no "Like" button, and instead of slapping a visually offensive filter on your shitty food pictures and sharing them with everyone on Facebook, you take a photo, decide whether to discard or share it with no editing or processing involved, and it's shared with one random person. You send one picture, you get one picture back. If the other user has geotagging enabled, it tells you where the picture came from. Among the pictures I've received are a baby from Tennessee, some guy's foot from Slovenia, a cat from South Korea (from what I've received, I estimate 1/3 to 1/2 of users are in SK,) a picture of another Rando user taking a picture of something, and one from someone in Halifax who was drinking a Coors Light for some reason.

Also available for iOS, I strongly recommend it.

13. MSD

MSD Very Tilted

Oh, and if anyone wants an Ingress invite, PM me, I've got 5.

14. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

15. CrazyBeing Vertical

FotMob. If you like european football.

16. redux

redux Very Tilted

I like this idea for an app - fix the highways and bridges, goddammit!

“Dear Member of Congress: I’m stuck in traffic wasting time, fuel and money. All around me are trucks, commuters and families delayed and frustrated. Please pay attention to America’s ailing and inadequate infrastructure. It’s important. It’s your decision. It’s past time.”

This is the message of the newly launched mobile app from Building America’s Future Educational Fund.

The app allows users to share their traffic experiences in real time directly with their Member of Congress, complete with a picture if they choose to include one. This new tool is meant to force Congress to listen to real-life transportation problems from the people that put them in office, with the intention of encouraging Congressional action on transportation and infrastructure funding.

• Like Like x 1
  17. redux

redux Very Tilted

The new and improved Yahoo Weather app for Android just came out yesterday.

Yahoo! Weather - Android Apps on Google Play

It might be the best weather app out there! The IOS verion has been around but updated earlier so I-Phone users might have an opinion.

18. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

We switched from GoSMS to Textra. So much less buggy and has some additional personalization stuff related to incoming/outgoing text box colors, etc.

19. redux

redux Very Tilted

20. GeneticShift

GeneticShift Show me your everything is okay face.

Simpson's Tapped Out is on Android now.