1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Must-have Android apps

Discussion in 'Tilted Gear' started by Zweiblumen, Sep 9, 2011.

1. Taliesin

Taliesin Slightly Tilted

This is a great thread. I've downloaded a few different suggestions.
    An app I use every day is Line: free calls & messages by the Line Corporation
    I've never used it to make calls, I don't communicate with my rl friends with it.

I used to play Galaxy Empire on my phone, I was part of a big worldwide alliance and the ingame chat was crap. So we all downloaded Line to keep in contact. We had instant free messaging and we could post screenshots from the game to make our points.

I've since stopped playing GE, but about 6 of us are still friends in the chat room and some other oldies drop by occasionally. The good times I had chatting in Line was part of my motivation for coming back to the TFP.
    I was reminded that there are bored, interesting people floating around online.

*edit*
    The reason I use it every day is that one of the other active guys is a truckdriver in America. He likes to post photos of things he sees on the road. I reciprocate with photos of Australia and another bloke posts photos of Indonesia. It's great seeing everyday life in another country.
    The rest of us just chat, every now and then someone asks for personal advice. We've become real friends even without knowing each others names. (Just like here I guess)
    If anyone else uses line feel free to look me up. My id is public. It's "forkrul" and my screen name is Taliesin

Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
  2. OtherSyde

OtherSyde Slightly Tilted

The most recent one I downloaded (literally like 2 hours ago), for my HTC One X, is Ultimate Rotation Control. I always had phones with keyboards that would switch to Landscape View on the home screen when you pulled the keyboard out, but I hated that my touch-screen only phone wouldn't do it. This simple app allows you to override factory settings (don't need to be rooted) and force the display to go to landscape any time you want, and even do it automatically or lock it at a certain rotation. Free too, as far as I can tell. Loving it!

3. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 Very Tilted

So I finally installed the new facebook messenger. I hate that it really is better, and the floating heads are convenient and easy to use.
    Also since Astrid died I've found TickTick to be the best replacement. It's incredibly powerful but extremely minimalist, exactly what a tasklist should be.

• Like Like x 2
  4. OtherSyde

OtherSyde Slightly Tilted

Correction: Ultimate Rotation Control is not free, it's like a buck or two and has a 7-day expiration date, but there is a nearly identical and just-as-functional app that is free, called "Screen Rotation."

Same here, I like its newest incarnation as well. That app, and the way it will not switch to landscape mode when you go to type messages (unless you have some other background app open that will do it for your, like Text Messaging or Browser or whatever), is actually the reason I downloaded Screen Rotation... I just can't type in portrait mode.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
  5. redux

redux Very Tilted

6. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

Now that I actually have an android phone, I read through all six pages of the thread. Excellent.

A few of my favorites:

FatSecret for calorie tracking. Barcode scanning, manual searches, and most restaurants are included.

Zombies, Run! for, well...running. I'm using the 5k version right now, which has more structured workouts, and doesn't feature actual zombie chases. The storyline is still there, though, and Sam's voice reminds me of Martin Freeman, so, bonus!

theScore - for when I can't watch various sports games. You can "favorite" teams or players and customize your own feed, or you can just pick a sport and see all the scores in that league. There's also sports news, but I don't use that feature as often.

RunPee - I haven't actually used this one for the intended purpose yet, as I haven't been to a movie theatre since December. Tells you the best times for a bathroom break during a movie, and tells you what happens during that time. You can set a timer when the movie starts, and it vibrates at the appointed times. It also lets you know if there's a reason to sit through the credits or not.

IsItVegan - I know, most of you won't need this one, but I like it. You can scan a barcode (or enter it manually, or search for a product or specific ingredient), and it tells you if the product is vegan, vegetarian, or neither, and gives a detailed analysis of all the ingredients.

I'm also a big fan of Google Sky.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

USA Rest Stops has been invaluable. Especially if you're a tea drinker and drive a lot.

8. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

9. redux

redux Very Tilted

10. snowy

11. snowy

12. MXPlayer Pro and ES File explorer are my go to apps to stream over my local wifi. Enjoying Plex too.

13. snowy

MXPlayer is what I use on my Nexus tablet, as it will read .mkv files. The old default with Samsung did not read .mkv once upon a time, but now it does.

14. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

Did anyone mention Timely? I had it on my S5 and now on my Droid Turbo... It's the best alarm and timer app around. So pretty, too.

15. redux

redux Very Tilted

16. snowy

Interesting to me how many apps at the beginning of this thread are now default options on my S6. Flashlight? Who needs an app for that? Pop-up text messages? The stock messenger does that now (though I wish Hangouts would get it together).

17. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 Very Tilted

I gave it a shot just now to see how it was. I definitely still prefer Alarm Clock Plus, it's a much more straightforward UI and manages multiple recurring alarms or multiple timers very gracefully.

18. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

Still addicted to timely. I like the clock it gives me, too. The new Droid Turbo doesn't have a decent dim for me. It's still too bright at night and five me a headache. I tried Lux, bit it would randomly turn on and off during the day, so yesterday I installed Twilight as part of Sleep as Android. Perfect. It works really well. So far.

19. snowy

Twilight and Lux are very different apps in terms of overall functionality. Twilight only changes the color temperature of the phone's screen based on time of day, and doesn't give end users any control over the backlight. Lux, unfortunately, doesn't play well with Lollipop. I liked being able to keep my super-bright AMOLED screen turned down to almost nothing at night. The dim on the S6 works fine, though--it just doesn't go as far as I'd want it to.

20. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

I much preferred the dim on the S5 to the Droid. I'm loving being able to change both the temperature and the screen brightness significantly down with Twilight. Lux and the previous version of the OS didn't work well either.