1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

My experience with aimpoint customer service (it sucks)

Discussion in 'Tilted Weaponry' started by ChrisJericho, Sep 12, 2011.

1. ChrisJericho

ChrisJericho Careless whisper

Yeah so, I was out shooting in the forest a few weeks ago and while using my aimpoint micro r-1. I was messing around with the windage/elevation and I dropped the tiny adjustment cap onto the ground. The optic is designed so that only their proprietary adjustment caps will fit in the circular notches so you can adjust windage or elevation. I still had one cap left, but obviously I wanted to get at least one or two more since the things are so tiny and easy to lose.

Anyway, I start scouring the internet trying to find a replacement. Not a single online store had them in stock. Over this past weekend I decided I would give aimpoint a call and see if I could get some from them.

So I call them at 9:15 am EST (they open at 9:00am). The phone rings like 6 times, and automated message comes on saying if you know your parties extension dial it etc, which of course I don't. It rings about 6 more times, a message comes up saying leave your name and number and they will contact you shortly. So I leave my name and number.

After 2 and a half hours with no reply from aimpoint I decide to call them back. A lady answers and talks so quickly I couldn't even understand what she says (she doesn't seem to be in a good mood) so I just tell her I need some replacement caps and then she transfers me to wherever. The guy who picked up after her also sounded equally displeased with having to talk to me. I informed him of the situation about how I have been searching online for this key component of the optic and how no one had them in stock. He said everyone was out of stock but that aimpoint just had gotten a shipment in. I said great, I would be happy to purchase some from them since I have a rifle course coming up this weekend. He said they weren't set up to sell the caps directly to consumers. Aw crap I'll just break it down into dialogue:

Aimpoint: We aren't set up to sell the caps directly to consumers.
    Me: Well how am I supposed to get the caps then?
    Aimpoint: The caps will eventually work their way out to the retailers.
    Me: Well I contacted optics planet this morning and they said they probably wouldn't have it for another 7-10 business days.
    Aimpoint: I'm not sure when exactly the retailers will get them.
    Me: Ok, so just to to clear, you have one of the key parts in making the optic work and there's no way I can get one?
    Aimpoint: The optic will still work without the cap sir.
    (apparently he was more concerned about playing around with semantics than performing customer service)
    Me: So basically what you're saying is I'm out of luck completely until the retailers get them?
    Aimpoint: They should be getting them soon.
    Me: Well.....thanks anyway.

The end.

Ok, let me just say that it's understandable that a manufacturer doesn't want to compete with its retailers/distributors. However this particular part was designed so that it was the only way to make adjustments on the sight. If a company is going to make a key piece proprietary like this they should damn well have them in stock. And if they screw up to such an extent that the entire internet is devoid of this part, I would at least hope they would care enough for the customers as to make it available in some way.

Yeah I know I'm just one guy who likes to dress up and play GI JOE in the forest, and that I'm not a part of some big LE/MIL account, but the customer service I experienced today with aimpoint was quite terrible. In the future I will definitely think twice about purchasing any of their products.

2. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

Where you fucked up: you said it was your fault.

How you should have done it: said the cap broke.

They probably would have mailed you one for free.

Worst case, you would have got the same outcome.

Why the caps aren't tethered is beyond me. Too nerdy?

I dummy cord my cock to my balls. And they're connected.

Also: Aimpoint and EOTech are the only game in town.

Unless you count Other ZMDS like Trijicon and Meprolight.

And Aimpoint's product is pretty much the best choice out there.

/totally just got screwed by a new EOTech, isn't too bitter though

3. ChrisJericho

That damn honesty thing bit me in the ass again.

Ok maybe I'll call them tomorrow regarding my "broken" cap. If they make me send in a copy of my purchase receipt or whatever I'm just going to say screw it.

4. KirStang

KirStang Something Patriotic.

The R-1's windage and elevation caps don't lend themselves to dummy cording.

Have you tried calling SWFA? They're top notch.

http://swfa.com/Aimpoint-Adjustment-Cap-P42495.aspx

[​IMG]

Alternatively, you can try telling them they screwed up and their R-1 cap broke as you were unscrewing it. It looks like Aimpoint's customer service is hit or miss.

5. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

I can dummycord anything, dude. Anything.

Except the love of the women in my life.

/emo panda

I'm not a genius, but I get the feeling you can make a field expedient adjustment tool with a Leatherman and some brass casings (9x19mm maybe?).

6. ChrisJericho

SWFA says they are sold out as well.

Plan9 if you can make adjustment cap out of 9mm casings you should sell them on ebay, you could sell them for $12 each and make a million US dollars.

7. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

Ever see a M4 front sight tool? Same goddamn principle.

8. ChrisJericho

Of course I haven't.

9. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

...but how are you adjusting the iron site on your rifle?

A nail or the tip of a cartridge? That's not Gucci enough.

Come to the east coast sometime next year. We will shoot.

I will show you a FST. You can show me what to do with $$$.

10. ChrisJericho

Real men don't need to adjust the iron sites.

.........and there's the noobs like me who don't adjust it out of ignorance.

11. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

... that would explain why your targets look like Ray Charles was playing the shooting variant of Marco Polo.

Just kidding. You shoot better than I do.

12. ChrisJericho

Yeah so I called aimpoint again today.

I specifically told them that the adjustment cap "broke on me."

The guy said I would have to buy it from a dealer.

I asked wasn't the cap covered under the warranty?

He said no, the small parts aren't covered under the warranty.

So I asked him if he knew of any dealers that had them in stock.

He said he didn't.

I said thanks anyway and hung up.

So yes, Aimpoint customer service does suck. It sucks really hard.

Luckily it looks like primary arms currently has them in stock so I am going to order like 3 or 4 of them as it appears these adjustment caps are harder to find than freaking dinosaur eggs.