1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

My first time in Management...

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by GhoastGirl2.0, Apr 22, 2017.

1. GhoastGirl2.0

GhoastGirl2.0 Getting Tilted

Hi Guys,

I'm posting in regards to a mental freakout I'm currently undergoing after having begun my first role management job in February of this year. Mind you, I have just 1 direct report.

I'm 29, and landed my first recruitment manager role here in the UK. I was hired into the role with the idea that I would have a boss who would have a plan for me etc. Well he went away after some unsavory things came to light and now I'm on my own responsible for the whole of recruitment function in the recruitment team of 2. I have about 40 roles I'm working on filling, a strategy to devise and implement, top level reporting to manage weekly and a recruitment budget that needs adjusting along with planning, an applicant management system that looks like it was being run by monkeys and attending external events. The cherry on top, I still have to assist with the operational aspects of recruitment itself, i.e. keeping up with my candidates, searching for new candidates and all within a niche industry...jobs from QA analysts...frontend devs, game engine devs, graphic artists, etc.

My boss has made me aware that he has 'selected' someone (the old head of TA - with a poor reputation for including women on his team in making decisions) to come back to the business effective July 1 2017. My company has a bad habit of just 'giving' roles to people rather than following best practice recruitment practices or justifying their decisions...but that's another rabbit hole I won't go down at the moment. Regardless, this timetable has added to my anxiety in knowing he will be here soon and feeling the pressure to get things sorted out and running smoothly. I've also been warned that he has a crony he often takes along with him.

I'm also undertaking my professional CIPD qualification (10 month commitment) in HR Management and have two small girls under 3. I've always wanted to stretch myself, however when I started the qualification I was 1.5 years into another job (my first in the UK before moving over from the US) which ultimately went south when the company decided to pull much of its operations from the UK following Brexit (which they deny). This past role was very demanding as I was responsible for over 200 employees across two sites in the SouthEast of the Uk from an account manager perspective. I managed employee HR cases on a weekly basis, hire and fired people, managed payroll and holidays and everything HR related in between. To say the least, the learning curve from US to UK experience was pretty high. This was what also contributed to me wanting to obtain my qualification and as I am in the UK thought it made sense to get the one that was most relevant rather than a PHR or SHRM.

I have had minimal direction from my current boss and feel very loss and pulled in a ton of directions.
    UGH!!! Maybe I'm not cut out for this?

Just looking for some alternative views or experiences.

2. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

Ok, first stop saying anything about how you're inexperienced and unqualified.
    This only undermines your own morale and makes you doubt yourself.
    You've been thrust into this role, make the best of it...it's yours now, qualifications are done.

Second, just do the right thing.
    It's apparent that you care and are aware of what's needed.
    Which is more than many "established" managers can or do.

Yes, you may make mistakes but so do long time managers.
    You roll with the punches, you adjust.
    Learn from experience.

Bring in some people that would complement you and fill in the gaps.
    You can actually ask them to assist you, informally.
    No person is an island.

Breathe
    Think
    Act
    Repeat

Again, this is more than some managers do.

Just act sincerely, you may find people follow your lead.
    Try to be aware of the things that are "approaching", this is the first part of politics. So you can avoid the storms.

The 2nd part, that's a bit more challenging...getting your management peers and superiors to go along your way and coax them in a direction.
    However, if you're doing the right thing and acting sincerely, you may find that you have some that assist you, if not ally with you.

The role is irrelevant. The qualifications are too. It's yours.
    Make it "doable", make it yours.

BTW, if you fail...then brush yourself off. Pick yourself up.
    Learn from experience.
    Try again.

Good or bad, you're going to become more experienced.
    So just do the job.
    Do it right by YOU.

You may find you have "the stuff" :cool:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. GhoastGirl2.0

GhoastGirl2.0 Getting Tilted

I never said thank you for this response. But I am going to say it now, thank you!!! I ended up rocking that role before we moved down to Australia...it turned out to be fine.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1