1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Mysteries/Detective Series ...What do you recommend?

Discussion in 'Tilted Entertainment' started by snowy, Aug 28, 2011.

1. Strange Famous

Strange Famous it depends on who is looking...

Anyone who thinks that Larrson's "The girl who..." books are shockingly dark should certainly be forced to read "I was Dora Suarez". Now that is dark.

This is what the writer himself said about it (from wikipedia)

“Writing Suarez broke me; I see that now. I don’t mean that it broke me physically or mentally, although it came near to doing both. But it changed me; it separated out for ever what was living and what was dead. I realised it was doing so at the time, but not fully, and not how, and not at once. […] I asked for it, though. If you go down into the darkness, you must expect it to leave traces on you coming up — if you do come up. It’s like working in a mine; you hope that hands you can’t see know what they’re doing and will pull you through. I know I wondered half way through Suarez if I would get through — I mean, if my reason would get through. For the trouble with an experience like Suarez is that you become what you’re writing, passing like Alice through the language into the situation."

2. Shagg

Shagg Vertical

I'm a fan of Robert Parker. I've read all the Spenser and Jesse Stone novels. Not exactly high brow, but they are definitely entertaining. The Spenser novels are the basis for the "Spenser for Hire" tv series.

3. m0rpheus

m0rpheus Getting Tilted

She says she's been enjoying Louise Penny lately.

4. Chumley

Chumley New Member

@ Strange Famous: Hm.. well, I meant dark in the context of all that other stuff - in that a main character was also involved in the dark part. I guess pretty much all murder mystery has a dark gruesome side, but it's nuanced. Elizabeth George actually got very dark indeed the last few books, more than I thought was ultimately useful for me. I don't look for recreational reading to make me truly depressed, and when main characters get overly abused, it does in fact do that to me, shallow as it may seem. That's why I almost put down the Game of Thrones series.

5. Strange Famous

Strange Famous it depends on who is looking...

I just mean that the Larson stuff is like pretty tame compared to the horror and disgust in the Raymond books. On the back of one of the books is the blurb "no other writer is so obsessed with the skull underneath the skin" and that sums it up pretty well. None of The Factory series are mysteries in any real sense, but they effect you on some level that most books cant. "I was Dora Suarez" didnt make me physically sick, but there were parts I had to put down and steel myself to read on. There isnt much nuance in it certainly, it's the kind of stuff that simply attacks you with a punch in the guts.

6. DAKA

DAKA DOING VERY NICELY, THANK YOU

I have enjoyed all of the JACK REACHER series by LEE CHILD.. good stories