1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Name your top brands

Discussion in 'Tilted Gear' started by fflowley, Jun 26, 2014.

1. fflowley

fflowley Don't just do something, stand there!

Let us hear who you really trust in brands.
    The brands you identify with, don't mind paying for, and always get a solid product from.

I will start with 2 that make outdoor gear: Ibex wool. Everything from hats to bike jerseys to jackets. All well made, high quality stuff backed by excellent customer service.

Craft: Based in Sweden, they make excellent winter gear. Always my go-to brand for Nordic skiing gear. Their base layers get the most use of any I have during the winter, whether I am skiing nordic or downhill, or bike riding. I can't wear them out!

• Like Like x 1
  2. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

I've never had a piece of hardware from ASUS that I haven't liked.

I really dig Juniper switching equipment but that's not consumer-grade.

3. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

I have to go with ASUS as well.
    When comes to cameras - Canon. If I had the money I would be dropping some serious cash on Nikon bodies and glass as well though (a Canon pro body and 24-105 L series lens & macro lens would be first though).

• Like Like x 1
  4. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

I'm not particularly brand conscious; but there are a few I like.

Salomon bindings. They have reassuring ka-thunk, when I step into them. If they go ka-think, something isn't right and I'll do it over. Other brands just don't have the same sound.

Gore-Tex and Gore Windblock fleece. Competitive products are good, but Gore is better. I don't care who sews it up. If I'm not working, I pretty much live in the stuff.

Arai helmets and Michelin Road Pilot tires. The helmets fit and the tires out-perform anything I've tried. If I'm gonna do stupid stuff on a bike, good tires and a helmet seem appropriate.

5. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Gregory packs. We own four--an overnight backpack, two multiday backpacks, and a daypack. Two of them are at least fifteen years old and still in great shape.

REI's house brand. I have a raincoat from 1982 that is just a simple shell. I re-waterproof it with Nikwax products every couple years; it packs down well for stowing in the daypack for just-in-case. I love their hiking socks. My husband has a newer technical shell from them that is bombproof. He's very hard on his things, so that it has stood up to nearly daily wear in his case is remarkable.

I'll agree with the ASUS recs from @Martian and @Speed_Gibson. I've owned a lot of different ASUS products over the years, from motherboards to netbooks to routers, and they've all done very well.

World's Best Cat Litter. Natural Cat Litter by World's Best Cat Litter | 100% Natural It's flushable, keeps odor down, and works very well. Yeah, they only make one product, but I love it!

Bosch. Most anything Bosch. I used to own a Bosch dishwasher. Best damn dishwasher I ever owned. Were I in the market to fill a house with appliances, it would be Bosch or Miele, who make a similarly excellent product.

The problem with going by "brand" these days is that many formerly good brands have licensed out their stuff, so it might not be as reliable as you once thought.

6. DamnitAll

DamnitAll Wait... what?

Most of this stuff is going to be bike related, as that's where the bulk of my money is going these days. Deal.

My go-to brand for cycling apparel is TwinSix, a Minneapolis-based small business founded by a pair of graphic designers. Their goods are high quality with excellent aesthetics, and they're a good bunch of people whose business I am proud to support.

Surly built my bicycle, and I think they are a fantastic company (they sell the current model of my bike in a color called "Hospital Foam"—what's not to love?). When I'm ready for my next bike, I'll trust the good folks at Seven to hook me up, as they also run a fantastic company.

I've also have been pleased overall with Continental brand bicycle tires—high quality, durable, and well made, they make for an excellent ride.

RoadID: though I've not (yet) had cause to use it—knock on wood—I'd suggest to anyone that engages in outdoor activities to invest in an ID bracelet, necklace, anklet, etc. from this company.

Musette Bakery makes ridiculously tasty snacks for mid-ride snacking... or whenever you want them, really.

And finally, moving out of the realm of cycling-centric goods (though not really, since beer and cycling go together so well), Flying Dog is my local brewer of choice.

7. fflowley

I have a big internal frame pack from Gregory, also at least 15 years old, as well as a little daypack from them. Fantastic stuff, and I agree you can not kill it.
    --- merged: Jun 26, 2014 at 6:36 PM ---

Have you ridden in Rapha, and how does Twin Six compare in quality and comfort?
    And how about a Firefly Titanium?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2014
  8. DamnitAll

DamnitAll Wait... what?

I have not ridden in any Rapha, as it's always been a bit outside my price range. I've found TwinSix's stuff to be high quality at a very reasonable price. As for Firefly vs. Seven, I've found based on what research I've done that Seven has a bit more variety in their bicycle lineup, which appeals to me. My local shop is also an authorized Seven dealer and has worked with Seven before to customize bikes built for at least one friend of mine, who was insanely happy with the end product.

9. fflowley

Rapha is a controversial topic given their insane prices and over the top marketing but I will say that their bib shorts are the best I have ever tried.
    Hands down.
    So I wait for their annual Christmas sale which at least gets the prices out of the stratosphere and treat myself then.

• Like Like x 1
  10. DamnitAll

DamnitAll Wait... what?

(Wait for it.)

Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  11. fflowley

I think we need to get together for a bike ride.
    Anyone who loves laughing at Rapha as much as I do is guaranteed to be a good riding buddy!

12. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

Saddleback leather. Briefcase, belts, notepad holders, iPad cases, anything they make really. Pricey but so worth it.

UnderArmour. Great for anything athletic or outdoors related. Great 'stay warm' gear. Great 'stay cool' gear. Great under clothes.

13. RedSneaker

RedSneaker Very Tilted

Hmm. I've been thinking about this and realize there are only a few things that I'm really taken with....

Honda cars- I say that because I keep buying them.

AHAVA - They are my go-to skincare products. I dabble with other brands, but keep coming back to them.

Cat's Pride litter. Holds down stink, flushable. I never buy anything else.

Winton for oil painting. I don't use them as much as I used to (switched to acrylic because you can do more) but I've always been happy with their performance.

14. MSD

MSD Very Tilted

I trust nothing but the 4- and 5-star Amazon review.

That said, I'm a big fan of Canon (Nikon is also great, but once you buy into a system it's a pain to switch.) For phones, I see myself sticking with Motorola, I've had a couple of hardware failures but the overnighted me replacements and I had only a couple of hours of downtime; if I ever break the screen on my Moto X, I'm reassured by the fact that they offer one courtesy replacement per phone per customer for physical damage.

15. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

Wow. I'm not sure I have any favourite brands.

I suppose if I was to buy a cola drink it would be Coke, but I am not precious about it.

16. desal75

desal75 New Member

Subaru will always be one of my favorites.

17. DamnitAll

DamnitAll Wait... what?

FUCK YES.

18. Freetofly

Freetofly Diving deep into the abyss

Subaru and Coke One. They have never let me down. I dont understand why im driving around in a Nissan at the moment.

• Like Like x 2
  19. fflowley

I can't believe I forgot Subaru.
    I'm on my second, my wife has had 2 in the past as well but had to trade hers for the minivan when the mini-me's started arriving.
    Love Subaru.

• Like Like x 1
  20. desal75

desal75 New Member

I've had 5 of them. I have to admit that I'm currently driving a Mazda though. It was SUV time and I just couldn't find a Tribeca at a good price.