1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

NaNoWriMo

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by CinnamonGirl, Oct 20, 2011.

1. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

I haven't done this in a couple of years, and a friend roped me into it, so I guess I'm doing it this year. I've got like ten days to come up with an idea and an outline.

• Like Like x 2
  2. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

I came up with a really fun idea...but it's non-fiction. I may do it anyway, just to use the word count/deadline as motivation.

Or I might revisit the one I started a couple years ago. I was having fun with it, but then I wrote myself into a corner and just gave up. I'd have to trash the chapters I wrote, but I think I could recycle the characters and take the plot in a different direction. Hmm.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Baraka_Guru

In my experience, having a full outline beforehand is the key to success. Having to "take the plot" anywhere while writing was what always made me hit a wall. Knowing where it's going to go lets you write all the other aspects of the story.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

Do we need to send Rhonda Rousey by to motivate you?

Or would that distract you from writing ;)?

5. Baraka_Guru

You should never not send Rhonda Rousey to me.

6. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

The character in the project that NaNoWriMo is going to take me back to is a kendoka on a journey of self-acceptance. She's a total irreverent badass.

I've got two students who want to join in on the YWP side this year so I'm getting that set up.

7. arkana

arkana Very Tilted

Whoa... maybe I write 50 000 words of my dissertation in November? Could that be acceptable?

• Like Like x 3
  8. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

Absotively

• Like Like x 1
  9. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

I forgot yesterday was November for...most of the day. No big deal, I figured I'd start today and catch up.

Except I'm feeling so scatter-brained and unfocused today. Moreso than usual. Grrrrr. How's everyone else doing?

10. snowy

I probably should get started.

11. Baraka_Guru

I decided not to do it.

I'm not in the right frame of mind to write like this, and I have other stuff I need to focus on this month.

It's more of a reading volume month than a writing volume month. The writing I'm doing is more about quality than quantity.

12. snowy

Excuses, excuses.

13. Baraka_Guru

It's my life's philosophy.

14. snowy

500 words to get started. I expect to get completely caught up today.

15. snowy

2,000 words to go to be completely caught up. I went a different direction than I expected. I'm finally writing that princess-becomes-a-ninja story I've always wanted to write.

16. arkana

arkana Very Tilted

I had it going for a couple of days until realized that it was a fool's errand to do a research paper this way. I got about 200 words a day of research writing and had to top up with 1500 of personal journalling. My life is interesting but not 1500 words interesting.

17. Baraka_Guru

Have you considered trying a princess-becomes-a-ninja story?

• Like Like x 2
  18. snowy

Is that jealousy I hear because I'm overtarget as of right now? I could even write more! There's also an epic journey involved in this tale, and there is some delicious dramatic irony that I'm building up.

Princess ninja is just the start.

• Like Like x 2
  19. snowy

6962k so far! I also did my character outlines and a plot outline. My plot outlines are always so vague.

• Like Like x 1
  20. snowy

Hit my target today, so I'm up over 9k.

• Like Like x 1