1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Need advice from those with a home security system

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by stefan s, Aug 17, 2011.

1. stefan s New Member

So our neighbors across the street recently got burglarized and were literally wiped out (electronic wise). I have been trying to decide between getting an ADT home security system, a system of surveillance cameras, or both. Here are my thoughts. I think that we will be just fine with an alarm system. There will be sensors on most windows and doorways that will warn you of an intruder. My "roommate" thinks that we should get a bunch of cameras and that will deter any kind of burglar. I think cameras will only capture the crime and do no good. The police will only see the video after the fact. Or, we could get both and really have a heightened sense of security. Any thoughts/feedback? What kind of setup does everyone else have?

2. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

I have a Bullmastiff and a Remington 870. So far so good.

3. One Mastiff, three little naked people guarding me.
    Cheap hints. If there is garden access, a sign saying Borlas dog is in the garden running loose is first cheap step. I lived in a house once with the sign on the gate, and people never went into my rear garden.
    The alarms will work if someone hears them and responds - a deterrent certainly. I have a little rape attack alarm that came with a door fitting on it - cost probably a couple of quid each, deafening noise, could be used on windows - they had a button and a pull out string function.
    The idea of video is so that police see it after and you hope for an arrest. I dont think it is a massive deterrent. Good locks should be that.
    I would most gladly loan you my late fathers wife, you could sit her in the window and she will scare anything. She is very racist, and considers the french to be the first blackish people one would meet if one crossed the channel. I would not want to be ruining your suprise, so will say no more - there is of course a non return policy. (Keep away from dogs called Toto )
    I used to keep my car safe with juju bells and packets of sanitary towels in the radio slot. Boys have an uncomfortableness around the latter, and - lets just say I scared someone from some part of Africa with my hanging bells - took a step back because I had juju beads - told him they were just there to keep away bad spirits and keep the car running - which they probably did.

4. ChrisJericho

ChrisJericho Careless whisper

If you want to get serious about security watch this video. Once I have a place of my own I plan to implement some of the tips...

5. uncle phil

uncle phil Moderator Emeritus (and sorely missed) Staff Member Donor

there are a lot better outfits out there than ADT...

6. MSD

MSD Very Tilted

I install security cameras as a side job, so I'm biased, but I say go for it. Get a wall-mounted box to lock the DVR in, put it in an inconspicuous place, and screw it into studs so it doesn't walk off it you're hit. Put up cameras and find a friend to try to sneak past them (don't give me that look, everyone knows at least one guy who would love to try.) Having something to give police is better than nothing.

That said, the big things to do for home security are the following:

1: Get to know your neighbors and look out for each other. No degree of automation and security will help you more than the sweet old lady next door who's home all day and will notice any suspicious people around your place. There was just a break in across the street, what better time to let everyone know you're concerned, spend a few minutes talking to each of your neighbors and getting everyone to look out for each other.

2: Actually lock your doors and windows. Real simple, right? Yeah, but nobody is ever meticulous enough about it.

3a: Secure your doors. Solid hardwood or metal over wood are the only ways to go. Grab a screwdriver and back a screw out of an exterior door's hinges. Chances are they're 3/4" brass screws which are plenty strong for holding a door up but don't do shit to protect against kicking. No, wait, don't screw it back in, go down to your local hardware store and find a 2" or longer screw (enough to sink it into the structural frame and not just the door frame) with the same sized head and shaft, and replace all of them. Don't forget the ones holding the strike plate into the door frame. Which brings me to my next point, the deadbolt. Your deadbolt should have at least 1.5" total throw length. The latch on the knob keeps the door from blowing open in heavy winds, and that's about it. Don't believe me? step outside and give the door a good solid kick right next to the knob. Now you have to secure it because you broke it before a burglar can even get to it. Doors that have large glass panels should be fitted with shatter resistant film. Doors that latch into a non-load-bearing frame around a window next to the door should be fitted with deadbolts at the top and/or bottom of the side opposite the hinge that throw into structural frame.

3b: Secure your windows. Get some good, solid locks and install them if they're not already in place. Get some sturdy nails, drill holes so you can pin the bottom to the top when they're fully closed and when they're open a few inches for ventilation. Cut the nails so they don't protrude much, paint them the same color as the windows, and make a habit of pinning them in addition to locking/unlocking them whenver you open or close them. Shatter resistant film will cost you a few bucks, but it's worth it for any ground floor windows, and don't forget any immobile windows like the glass panes in your doors.

4: Lighting. Motion sensor lights that provide adequate lighting for every door. If you put up floodlights, talk to your neighbors and make sure the lights aren't aimed toward their windows because you're not an inconsiderate jerk.

miscellaneous: lock down or lock up ladders or anything that can be used to climb up to higher windows; trim shrubs/hedges so potential burglars can't hide between them and your house; if home invasion is a concern, get a solid hardwood door with a deadbolt for your bedroom; keep all valuables locked up in a safe or fire box; have serial numbers and photos of all valuables on hand in case they are stolen

7. james t kirk

james t kirk New Member

1. Get a dog.

2. Failing 1, the best security systems are hard wired, not wireless.

3. I have an ADT system. One time I received a call at work that my alarm was going off and did I have any knowledge as to why it was going off? I did not. ADT said they were calling the police. I drove from the office to my house and was home in about 25 minutes. The back door was open, nothing had been taken. About 15 minutes after my arrival home - the cops showed up. So, moral of the story, don't count on the cops to protect your propoerty!!.

8. Fremen

Fremen Allright, who stole my mustache?

It took you that long to get home? Dude, Scotty is really slacking off. ;)

---

Are booby-traps and tripwires and things like that illegal to install?

9. Fly

Fly music is the answer

we have used cameras and alarm systems.........still got robbed.

went and purchased a couple of bowzers..........haven't been hit since.