1. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Nelson Mandela is Dead

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by snowy, Dec 5, 2013.

1. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

The NYTimes is reporting that Nelson Mandela has passed away.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/06/world/africa/nelson-mandela.html

At his age and in his declining health, this was obviously not unexpected, but it does sadden me to see such a great man go. I'm sure, like any human, he had his foibles and weaknesses, but he did great work to bring South Africa back together, and to help the world see how peaceful action can accomplish great things.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

I am sad to hear of his passing, but it is muted when I think of his accomplishments.

He tackled brutal racism and eventually became president. I was a young teen when he was released from prison, but I was old enough to realize the significance of it.

What a life. He will leave a lasting legacy.

[Follow the link below for a detailed timeline of his life.]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Nelson Mandela dead at 95 - World - CBC News

3. snowy

He accomplished a great deal for his country, and dare I say it, the world.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

"During my lifetime I have dedicated myself to this struggle of the African people. I have fought against white domination, and I have fought against black domination. I have cherished the ideal of a democratic and free society in which all persons live together in harmony and with equal opportunities. It is an ideal which I hope to live for and to achieve. But if needs be, it is an ideal for which I am prepared to die."
    —Nelson Mandela to the Supreme Court of South Africa, April 20, 1964​

• Like Like x 3
  5. redux

redux Very Tilted

I was a 20something and participated (once) in the daily anti-apartheid demonstration at the South African embassy that took place every day for over a year (with arrests nearly every day, including me on my one occasion of participation...nothing remotely compared to his 20+ years prison ordeal). It didnt result in Mandela's release; it did result in the passage of The Comprehensive Anti-Apartheid Act of 1986, despite a Reagan veto, that imposed sanctions on South Africa that raised awareness and led to world wide sanctions and divestment that did ultimately lead to his release.

His passing is a loss of a true 20th century world leader.

• Like Like x 4
  6. snowy

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  7. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

Sad news.

8. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

A very large man who set an example of turning the other cheek, the we should all emulate.

• Like Like x 3
  9. hamsterball

hamsterball Seeking New Outlets

We tend to use the word "great" to describe people so indiscriminately in the current age. Nelson Mandela was a truly great man.

10. snowy

Can't say if Rahm Emanuel posted this himself, but either way, I felt it was well-said.

"The world is better because he lived, and the name Mandela will be on the lips of all those who love and work for peace. Rest in peace."

I'm not sure we value peace as a tool.
    --- merged: Dec 5, 2013 at 9:28 PM ---
    And from the President: "Let us pause and give thanks for the fact that Nelson Mandela lived—a man who took history in his hands and bent the arc of the moral universe toward justice." —President Obama

Amazing how much we can attain, and have attained, through peaceful nonviolence.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2013
    • Like Like x 3
  11. kramus

kramus what I might see

I said this already in a FB post.
    A great human being who more than earned a place in history, and who was able to spend his last years with his people savouring life in quiet joy.
    RIP Mr. Mandela.
    Found this amazing uncredited portrait as well.

image.jpg

12. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

He was very sick, so not much of a surprise. I'm not going to think about this until tomorrow, though.
    You don't get much more exquisite as far as humans go. rip.

13. snowy

From our perspective, here in the United States and elsewhere where we have never been subject to something as horrifying as apartheid, it is easy to not realize this man's full accomplishments. Posts from friends in South Africa tonight have reaffirmed to me the true power this man possessed in his life. All that he accomplished is truly amazing.

14. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

I came to the conclusion that as violence in this country was inevitable, it would be unrealistic to continue preaching peace and non-violence. This conclusion was not easily arrived at. It was only when all else had failed, when all channels of peaceful protest had been barred to us, that the decision was made to embark on violent forms of political struggle. I can only say that I felt morally obliged to do what I did.

Nelson Mandela, "An ideal for which I am prepared to die". Mandela made this statement from the dock at the opening of his trial on charges of sabotage, Supreme court of South Africa, Pretoria, April 20 1964

15. pig

pig Slightly Tilted Donor

A Long Walk To Freedom.

What a read.

Nothing to say that's not redundant.

27 years. That's some time.

16. Fangirl

Fangirl Very Tilted

17. Freetofly

Freetofly Diving deep into the abyss

My older sister worked for Prince Bandar Aziz, when he was the ambassador of Saudi Araba to the United States.

She was able to have Nelson Mandela's sign his Biography for my father.

• Like Like x 4