1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

NETFLIX

Discussion in 'Tilted Entertainment' started by DAKA, May 29, 2016.

1. omega

omega Very Tilted

I liked the first few seasons. But it just kept dragging, and I got tired of antiheroes on tv. Sons of anarchy. Breaking bad. Sopranos. Other people with no redeeming qualities and no redemption.

2. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

It takes a combination of very good writing, directing, & acting to create characters that are bad yet who have good qualities, or characters that are basically good people who end up doing bad things. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.

Some of the biggest failures I've seen are when a movie or TV program attempts to mix seriousness with comedy. IMO it rarely works.

Two movies that majorly disappointed me are The Road To Perdition and American Gangster.

3. DAKA

DAKA DOING VERY NICELY, THANK YOU

I'm loosing it...or am I..
    I just started watching TWIN PEAKS, the 1990 version....is this a joke or is it the absolute worst acting ever....
    Season 1 episode 3, this ran 2 seasons......who is on what drugs?

• Like Like x 3
  4. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

That's why I didn't want to watch it first go round.

5. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

It is certainly stylized even for the time.
    The show is similar to certain books where you have to drop into them and accept the weirdness.
    If you have ever read any of the Latin American Magical Realist writers, you will notice some similarities in the style.
    Some of the characters aren't even supposed to be people per se so it can be a challenge for the actors to play them.

Last edited: May 23, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  6. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

On an entirely different show with a fair amount of wonderful weirdness, is anyone watching the 2nd season of Sense8?

7. Chris Noyb

Starting the weirdness is easy, maintaining it is the hard part; the higher the weirdness level, the more difficult the maintenance.

As I previously posted, rumor was/is Lynch bailed on the original Twin Peaks TV series early in season one. I was under the impression the writers were scrambling, and failed, to complete scripts that were weird yet cohesive for regular network TV viewers.

• Like Like x 1
  8. DAKA

Not only the scripts, the acting is horrible....but...I'm watching it anyway....crazy, right.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Chris Noyb

What RR posted.

The entire series was intended to be surrealistic. Some of the "horrible" acting is simply the actor trying to be weird, surrealistic, etc. TP was a very ambitious project, esp. for network TV, esp. in 1990. Even with Lynch's name attached.

• Like Like x 1
  10. DAKA

I guess I just "didn't get it"

11. Wildmermaid

Wildmermaid Very Tilted

If Season 1 is too out there then give Season 2 a pass ;) some of it is downright painful to view (and listen to)! That said it is just half an hour until my husband, daughter, and i watch the next episode of the new Twin Peaks.

12. DAKA

I can't believe I watched ALL OF IT.....(what was I thinking)

• Like Like x 2
  13. Wildmermaid

Wildmermaid Very Tilted

Did you see Fire Walk With Me as well? Any intention of following up on the new series? Last night was episode 7 and it is really starting to pick up! :D Had me worried we were going to have flashbacks to season 2 of original series. ;)

14. Wildmermaid

Wildmermaid Very Tilted

Finished the 1st season of The Santa Clarita Diet. Terrifically grotesque but a good dose of humor nonetheless! :) Not on Netflix but Showtime next episode of Twin Peaks: the Return. What are you viewing these days?

15. DAKA

After you finish Twin Peaks, please explain it to me...

• Like Like x 1
  16. SirLance

SirLance Death Therapist

I've been getting into Turn on netflix, and American Horror Story on Hulu. And, of course, Elementary.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Wildmermaid

Wildmermaid Very Tilted

Have you been watching the Return? It is otherwordly and almost like a mash up of the dawn of cinema and experimental film. Every once in awhile it comes back round to one of the main storylines but there are so many branches at this point it is its own beast.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jul 10, 2017, Original Post Date: Jul 10, 2017 ---
    Which season of American Horror Story?! :D I love to paint to the 1st season, always prefer to paint to horror shows or movies. <3 OOOh never heard of Turn! Will look it up straightaway! :D

18. DAKA

I watched till the end, including the Return....got suckered in, I must be a dummy....didn't "get" it

• Like Like x 1
  19. Wildmermaid

Wildmermaid Very Tilted

Oh no not getting Twin Peaks (or any other show) does not in any way make you a dummy! It is challenging, twisted, and in many ways like a film student's exploration. Episode 9 of Twin Peaks: the Return was on last night, so I think we're at the halfway point now. After watching Season 1 and 2 of the original Twin Peaks were you able to see Fire Walk With Me?

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
  20. DAKA

Just too "twisted" for me....

• Like Like x 1